Disclaimer

Photo

Re-querying an agent who requested a full, with a new manuscript?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BadgerFox

BadgerFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:03 AM

So I’ve written two completed manuscripts so far. I sent the first to many agents, and this agent requested a full. She requested it with a (this isn’t me humblebragging, I’m just trying to lay relevant facts out clearly!) very chatty and enthusiastic email, going into detail about exact parts, recommending me books I might like and praising my accurate choice of comparison titles.

HOWEVER.

Then things got jumbled with her. I sent her the full MS promptly, and she said nothing for months. I contacted her to tentatively ask if there were any adjustments I could make. She said she was very sorry, she was behind on reading and would definitely get to my MS shortly. Months more passed. I contacted her politely again. Turns out she’d got my MS mixed up with someone else’s. She thought she was ALREADY waiting for alterations! She apologises and promises again to read it soon this time. And…

…silence ever since. It’s over a year since she first contacted me.

NOW. I have a brand new manuscript, ready to query. Same genre, same themes. It still fits EXACTLY with her current query wish-list. How do I craft a tailored query email for her, for the new manuscript, whilst referencing that she asked for a full before?

I’m not complaining, you understand. I understand it's normal to expect reply after a full request, but even so, I don't personally feel upset or hard-done-by. Whatever happened on her end to make her so jumbled about my MS was probably just being busy, having personal life issues, or maybe even a misplaced feeling that I’d take it badly if she said she hated my MS, so she said nothing. I admit being THIS disorganized doesn’t bode well for future working relationship prospects, but in other ways she’s still a great fit for me and I’d like to try her again. How can I reassure her there’s no hard feelings, I just want to show her my new query AND...subtly remind her that she really seemed to like my work last time? :P

Spare a little feedback, if you have a moment? :)

My AU historical novel query: here. Thank you!

#2 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

Honesty is always the best way. Just mention that she once requested a full for story blah blah. Unfortunately you didn't hear back. In the meantime you wrote a new story. Add the query and whatever the agent asks for in the submission guideline. Good luck

Query:  10 DAY BETRAYAL

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

RABBIT 76 (NEW PROJECT)

Twitter: @tccorrey

#3 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

So I’ve written two completed manuscripts so far. I sent the first to many agents, and this agent requested a full. She requested it with a (this isn’t me humblebragging, I’m just trying to lay relevant facts out clearly!) very chatty and enthusiastic email, going into detail about exact parts, recommending me books I might like and praising my accurate choice of comparison titles.

HOWEVER.

Then things got jumbled with her. I sent her the full MS promptly, and she said nothing for months. I contacted her to tentatively ask if there were any adjustments I could make. She said she was very sorry, she was behind on reading and would definitely get to my MS shortly. Months more passed. I contacted her politely again. Turns out she’d got my MS mixed up with someone else’s. She thought she was ALREADY waiting for alterations! She apologises and promises again to read it soon this time. And…

…silence ever since. It’s over a year since she first contacted me.

NOW. I have a brand new manuscript, ready to query. Same genre, same themes. It still fits EXACTLY with her current query wish-list. How do I craft a tailored query email for her, for the new manuscript, whilst referencing that she asked for a full before?

I’m not complaining, you understand. I understand it's normal to expect reply after a full request, but even so, I don't personally feel upset or hard-done-by. Whatever happened on her end to make her so jumbled about my MS was probably just being busy, having personal life issues, or maybe even a misplaced feeling that I’d take it badly if she said she hated my MS, so she said nothing. I admit being THIS disorganized doesn’t bode well for future working relationship prospects, but in other ways she’s still a great fit for me and I’d like to try her again. How can I reassure her there’s no hard feelings, I just want to show her my new query AND...subtly remind her that she really seemed to like my work last time? :P

I'd steer clear based on that.

If you're determined, I wouldn't get into it. She clearly has no recollection so.... I think I'd query it straight up and pretend that never happened, because I don't see how you work, 'you requested my full, and then forgot which it was and kept promising to read it and never actually responded BUT...' into that. If she responds and mentions, then you might say you figured she wasn't interested in the previous work, but... 

#4 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

I would ask yourself seriously if after all of that you still think she is a good fit for you. Remember, no agent is better than a bad agent. If you haven't already, check out the comments on her profile on querytracker.net to see if anyone else had a similar experience. Maybe it was just a one-off, but if there is any sort of pattern, I would be very wary of trying again.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#5 robbyidol

robbyidol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

If you mention it at all, I would keep it VERY brief and positive.  Don't go into any of the rollercoaster emotions you went through while waiting for her response.  Something like:

"Thank you so much for showing interest in my previous work.  Since submitting my previous manuscript to you, I have complete a new work which I feel you may connect with as well."

...something like that (not trying to tell you how to write an email LOL!)  But essentially, it might not be a bad idea to remind her that you once caught her eye.  If she rejected you outright, I would just query cold with a new MS and pretend like it didn't happen (unless she makes the connection.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users