TheCodyCoyote64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

I have my manuscript, I have my pitch, I just need to find people to send it to. 

But I'm having trouble finding anyone who would even consider looking at the novel I have written. I finished it last month, and I've only sent it out to a couple of people. I really should have found hundreds of agents at this point, but I'm just struggling with connecting with the people who would be interested in working with me. 

#2 spineofiron

spineofiron

Probably Drinking Coffee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:42 PM

Have you looked at Query Tracker? That site is a nearly perfect comprehensive list of every agent working today, and you can search by your novel's genre and see who's currently accepting submissions. You can also look at MSWL (Manuscript Wish List) sites here and here and see what agents might be looking for books along the same lines as yours. Following agents on Twitter also opens up a lot of doors, since the publishing world is small and they all interact with one another frequently.

It's work, and you have to be a go-getter, but you should be able to find dozens of agents seeking new clients when you do a little research. :smile:

A slightly larger concern: You say you finished your novel last month. Does that include letting it rest and looking at it with fresh eyes? Have other people read it? Giving a novel breathing time and letting other people read it and give you feedback is essential to its success. Other people may pick up things you might not have, and you don't want to close too many doors before you've made your the novel the best you can make it before sending it out.

"I am a fire escape. My spine is made of iron, my heart pumps out old red paint."

-- Foster the People

-- -- --

NIGHT OF SORROWS

Query

Hook

250 Words

#3 TheCodyCoyote64

TheCodyCoyote64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

Have you looked at Query Tracker? That site is a nearly perfect comprehensive list of every agent working today, and you can search by your novel's genre and see who's currently accepting submissions. You can also look at MSWL (Manuscript Wish List) sites here and here and see what agents might be looking for books along the same lines as yours. Following agents on Twitter also opens up a lot of doors, since the publishing world is small and they all interact with one another frequently.

It's work, and you have to be a go-getter, but you should be able to find dozens of agents seeking new clients when you do a little research. :smile:

A slightly larger concern: You say you finished your novel last month. Does that include letting it rest and looking at it with fresh eyes? Have other people read it? Giving a novel breathing time and letting other people read it and give you feedback is essential to its success. Other people may pick up things you might not have, and you don't want to close too many doors before you've made your the novel the best you can make it before sending it out.

I have read and re-read it myself several times, but I don't really have anyone to show it to. 

#4 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

I have read and re-read it myself several times, but I don't really have anyone to show it to. 

There's a fantastic board on here where you can put up an ad to swap manuscripts with others :)

#5 spineofiron

spineofiron

Probably Drinking Coffee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

Ditto what DisgruntledWriter said! The board they're talking about is here -- it's really not a good idea to send out your manuscript without a couple of other pairs of eyes on it. Like I said, they'll ask questions you've never thought of and find things you've never seen, which is going to make the product you present to agents that much better. You'll probably have to agree to read another person's manuscript in exchange, but critiquing someone else's work is a good way to learn more about your own.

"I am a fire escape. My spine is made of iron, my heart pumps out old red paint."

-- Foster the People

-- -- --

NIGHT OF SORROWS

Query

Hook

250 Words

#6 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

I have my manuscript, I have my pitch, I just need to find people to send it to. 

But I'm having trouble finding anyone who would even consider looking at the novel I have written. I finished it last month, and I've only sent it out to a couple of people. I really should have found hundreds of agents at this point, but I'm just struggling with connecting with the people who would be interested in working with me. 

Why aren't you finding people? What criteria are you using to select agents? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users