lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

I was browsing agents to submit to tonight, and one of the agents including a request for a one-paragraph pitch. This was in addition to the query (it was a submission through a form, so they were two separate, required sections). What exactly are they looking for in a pitch, and how is it different from the query? Is it kind of like an extended version of a log line? Any clarity would appreciated, so that I can actually submit eventually to this agent. Thanks.

If you found my feedback useful, I'd appreciate yours: Ouroboros

#2 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:10 PM

My guess would be this is the same as a Twitter pitch.

Having talked to several agents, this looks to be a check on your ability to sell your own book. Can you, in a few sentences, make people want to buy your book? That's important in your partnership with an agent and a publisher.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#3 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

Thanks. Of course, this leads me to the question, non-tweeter that I am, of what exactly is expected in a twitter pitch? You say it's about showing you can sell your own book, but isn't that kind of what the query is doing? I'm just trying to figure out the formatting here. Thanks again for any more clarity.

#4 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

I guess I answered my own question by finding this thread: http://agentquerycon...-twitter-pitch/ Thanks for the guidance, though, RS.

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

One difference is the audience. The paragraph is kinda like what's known as an elevator pitch, but I'd imagine this would be for your potential reader as opposed to an agent or editor. Distill the book's story into just a few sentences. "It's a coming of age tale in which CHARACTER discovers SOMETHING UNEXPECTED...." Broad strokes that divulge genre, tension, and maybe even a hint of the resolution.

#6 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic