#1 mojicanpuertorican

mojicanpuertorican

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

So, I've noticed a few times from different people that, some authors have been noticed by agents in Wattpad? I've been curious of posting my story there, but I read that if you do that it's out in the world and the agent wont accept it. Does anyone know which is true? I wouldn't want to post it if my story loses all the possibility of ever getting published.

#2 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

I'm by no means an expert, but I've seen several times on the query boards when people mention their story is on Wattpad, everyone seems to comment, "That means you're already published."

#3 spineofiron

spineofiron

Probably Drinking Coffee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:10 AM

Those authors are the exception, not the rule. They're the ones culling millions of reads and reviews. If you think your book could be that successful, then by all means -- but it would count as it being "out in the world" and published for sure.

"I am a fire escape. My spine is made of iron, my heart pumps out old red paint."

-- Foster the People

-- -- --

NIGHT OF SORROWS

Query

Hook

250 Words

#4 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

Yes, if you post a story on Wattpad, it's technically publishing it, and in most cases you would not be able to sell that story to an agent/publisher afterwards. There are exceptions, such as when you see a self-published book like The Martian get scooped up by a traditional publisher, but those are rare outliers. You're unlikely to attract an agent or publisher through posting on Wattpad.

(Same thing if you post your story on a blog, or fiction.net, etc.)

That's not to say you can't post on Wattpad, but be realistic about your goals. You can attract readers who might be willing to buy/read other works from you, and you can use your readers as betas and fix the story up before self-publishing. But if you're posting with the hopes of someone swooping in and discovering you, well.

#5 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

What everyone else said -- yes, some people have gotten trade deals after publishing their work on Wattpad. Some supermodels were discovered at cattle calls in malls. Anything is possible, but some things are statistically highly unlikely. 

Your work is published if you put it on Wattpad and most publishers aren't interested in already-published work unless it's hugely successful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users