#1 sri.1209

sri.1209

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

This is the revised query. Please let me know what you think.

Dear Agent,

When seventeen-year-old Aarya discovers her father gambled away her hand in marriage, she is left both devastated and livid. However, as the Rajkumari, princess of Ashokya, Aarya understands her responsibility to save both her father and her kingdom from humiliation, and forcibly assents to the marriage.

Starting with the shocking wedding proposal, Aarya’s life begins to take a toll for the worse. As her intoxicated father becomes less and less fit to hold the crown of Ashokya, Aarya’s widowed older sister, Rajkumari Riya, shows interest in taking some of the royal responsibilities. The royal family initially encourages Rajkumari Riya, but Aarya has some concerns regarding her mental state. Ever since Riya’s husband died and she had to return to Ashokya as a widow, Aarya witnessed some disturbances in her sister’s manner, which included cruel behavior with the servants, enclosing herself from the rest of the palace, and sometimes even talking with herself.

Worried intensely about her upcoming marriage and her sister’s strange behavior, Aarya seeks the help of a mysterious soldier named Akhil. Instead of relieving her worries, however, Akhil soon introduces her to a secret about the royal family that shakes everything Aarya knew, or thought she knew, about Ashokya; a secret about a dangerous weapon that can destroy entire kingdoms within minutes.

Intermixed with her own personal confusion, her sister’s growing emotional disturbances, and her conflicting friendship with Akhil, Aarya is in the center of great emotional turmoil. However, right when Aarya seems to have control of her life again, she is forced to leave the palace in search of the secret weapon Akhil had told her about.

If Aarya does not return to the palace, weapon in hand, within three weeks, there will be a war; a war that destroys her kingdom, her people, her family.

SAINYA is a 75,000-word young adult historical fiction inspired by ancient India. 

Diversity is very important to me as a reader and a writer. I’ve noticed that many books in the YA market fail to explore the traditions of India and the strength and vulnerability of Indian females. As an immigrant from Southern India myself, I wanted to bridge this gap and write about a place that is close to my heart.

I’ve read on your manuscript wish list that you are currently looking for historical fiction, diverse voices, and strong female characters. For this reason, I believe SAINYA would be a good fit for your list and I really look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you for your time and attention,

(Signature)

The following is a query letter for my novel SAINYA. Please provide any feedback and I'll provide feedback in return! 

------

Dear Agent,

Seventeen-year-old Aarya is not the gentle and subservient Rajkumari (Princess) that is expected of her. Although she is kind and respectful toward her people, she also contains a bold and unapologetic personality that involves taking many secretive outings to the forbidden wilderness outside the palace walls.

However, unfortunately for Aarya, her secret life comes to an abrupt end due to an unpleasant proposal put forth by her father, the Maharaj (King) of Ashokya. Although Aarya immensely respects her father and consents to his wishes in his presence, she is very much in disagreement with his proposal and attempts to sabotage his future plans for her, risking imprisonment, banishment, or worse.

During this difficult time, Aarya faces yet another challenge in the form of her older sister, Rajkumari (Princess) Riya, who acts increasingly more disturbed by the day. Confused and frustrated by the events around her, Aarya works desperately to bring control and independence into her life again. In this process, she becomes well acquainted with a mysterious soldier named Akhil, whom she initially despises, but grows to slowly like.

Intermixed with her own personal conflicts, her sister’s growing disturbances, her complicated friendship with Akhil, and her love for a surprise guest she tries her best to avoid, Aarya is in the center of great emotional turmoil. However, right when Aarya seems to have control of her life again, sudden, escalating events force her out of the palace for good.

The above is a short summary of my novel SAINYA, which is a 75,000-word young adult historical fantasy inspired by ancient India. 

Diversity is very important to me as a reader and a writer. I’ve noticed that many books in the YA market fail to explore the traditions of India and the strength and vulnerability of Indian females. As an immigrant from Southern India myself, I wanted to bridge this gap and write about a place that is close to my heart.

I’ve read on your manuscript wish list that you are currently looking for historical fiction, diverse voices, and strong female characters. For this reason, I believe SAINYA would be a good fit for your list and I really look forward to hearing back from you.

(Signature)

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

The following is a query letter for my novel SAINYA. Please provide any feedback and I'll provide feedback in return! 

------

Dear Agent,

Seventeen-year-old Aarya is not the gentle and subservient Rajkumari (Princess) that is expected of her. Although she is kind and respectful toward her people, she also contains a bold and unapologetic personality that involves taking many secretive outings to the forbidden wilderness outside the palace walls. This isn't terrible, but it's very generic.

However, unfortunately for Aarya, her secret life comes to an abrupt end due to an unpleasant proposal put forth by her father, the Maharaj (King) of Ashokya. Although Aarya immensely respects her father and consents to his wishes in his presence, she is very much in disagreement with his proposal and attempts to sabotage his future plans for her, risking imprisonment, banishment, or worse. This doesn't actually say what's going on. It's just vague.

During this difficult time, Aarya faces yet another challenge in the form of her older sister, Rajkumari (Princess) Riya, who acts increasingly more disturbed by the day. Confused and frustrated by the events around her, Aarya works desperately to bring control and independence into her life again. In this process, she becomes well acquainted with a mysterious soldier named Akhil, whom she initially despises, but grows to slowly like. You've never explained her problem, or given a setting besides a palace.

Intermixed with her own personal conflicts, her sister’s growing disturbances, her complicated friendship with Akhil, and her love for a surprise guest she tries her best to avoid, Aarya is in the center of great emotional turmoil. However, right when Aarya seems to have control of her life again, sudden, escalating events force her out of the palace for good. This too says basically nothing. I don't understand the plot, her problem, I've no idea what she does, what any stakes might be....

The above is a short summary of my novel SAINYA, which is a 75,000-word young adult historical fantasy inspired by ancient India. 

(Signature)

Hi -- 

As you've probably got a hot ownvoices thing here, you want to highlight what it actually IS. This query gives no information as to anything, really. You need to showcase the character, her problem, and the stakes.

In addition to that, you seem to have a serious overwriting thing going on. Pretty much every noun and verb in here has some attendant descriptor. This may be just how you've written the query, especially as there are no specifics here, but I'd wager the ms looks similar. If so, I'd advise editing before you query, as there's atmosphere and then there's purple prose, heh.

#3 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:15 PM

------

Dear Agent,

Seventeen-year-old Aarya is not the gentle and subservient Rajkumari (Princess) that is expected of her. Although she is kind and respectful toward her people, she also contains a bold and unapologetic personality that involves taking many secretive outings to the forbidden wilderness outside the palace walls. The problem with this as a hook is that it is FAR too generic. Basically you're telling us that the main character is a rebellious princess, which is such a common trope in stories. It's common because it works, so it's not a problem that you use it, but it's not a compelling jumping off point.

However, uUnfortunately for Aarya, The "However, unfortunately" sounded awkward, and since the "unfortunately" already implies a "however", I think you can cut the "however" with no problem. her secret life comes to an abrupt end due to an unpleasant proposal put forth by her father, the Maharaj (King) of Ashokya. Although Aarya immensely respects her father and consents to his wishes in his presence, she is very much in disagreement with his proposal and attempts to sabotage his future plans for her, risking imprisonment, banishment, or worse. What is the proposal? A query is not the place to be vague. Be specific, so that we can know why Aarya is in disagreement: "Aarya doesn't want to be betrothed"; "Aarya doesn't think they should declare war on the neighboring country"; "Aarya vehemently disagrees with her father wanting to make socks with sandals part of Ashokya's national dress". Whatever it is, it gives us a better idea of the conflict and also a clearer view of who Aarya is.

During this difficult time, Aarya faces yet another challenge in the form of her older sister, Rajkumari (Princess) Riya, Since I notice that the sister isn't mentioned again, we don't need her name for purposes of the query.  who acts increasingly more disturbed How so? Again, be specific. by the day. Confused and frustrated by the events around her, Aarya works desperately to bring control and independence into her life again. In this process, she becomes well acquainted with a mysterious soldier named Akhil, whom she initially despises, but grows to slowly like. How does her struggle to bring control lead her to Akhil? Why does she initially despise him? Why does she start to like him?

Intermixed with her own personal conflicts, her sister’s growing disturbances, her complicated friendship with Akhil, and her love for a surprise guest she tries her best to avoid Huh? This is confusing to drop in on us like this, and since it's only mentioned here, I don't know that it's needed for the query, Aarya is in the center of great emotional turmoil. However, right when Aarya seems to have control of her life again, sudden, escalating events force her out of the palace for good. But... what's at stake? What does Aarya want, what happens if she fails, what if she succeeds? What happens when she's forced out of the palace? What caused her to be forced out? How is she trying to fix things? You've set up some vaguely unfortunate events, but I don't yet see how this is a compelling plot. Show that to us.

The above is a short summary of my novel SAINYA, which is a 75,000-word young adult historical fantasy Where's the fantasy? I see no magic in this. inspired by ancient India. 

(Signature)

You're too vague right now. I don't have a clear enough view of of the central conflict of the story or how everything ties together. We don't need every single plot thread in the query, just the main one. So what is the central crux of the story? Is it whatever proposal her father puts forth? The struggles with her sister? I'd assume it all has to do with her getting kicked out. Even if in the actual story all of the pieces tie together to get her kicked out, you can still just use the main one for the query, so, for example: "Distraught about the increasing violence between Ashokya and Neighborville, Aarya steals her father's war plans in hopes of mitigating more fighting. But when her crime is discovered, her enraged father reacts in only one way: banishment. Alone in the world for the first time, Aarya must still find a way to stop the war before it's too late." That is obviously a simplified version that takes great liberties with your story, but it shows what she does to get kicked out and what she still needs to do after getting kicked out.

On another note, I'm a little torn about "Rajkumari". On the one hand, between seeing her name and then "Rajkumari", I immediately knew I was looking at a story with Indian influence. On the other hand, it's awkward to then follow-up with "Princess" in parentheses immediately after. But I think just having "Rajkumari" without clarifying would be too confusing. I do think you could probably get away without clarifying that Maharaj is the king, since, one, it's a more well-known word, and, two, if we know she's a princess, then we can extrapolate that her father is king. I'm of half a mind to just suggest using "Princess" in the query, but I think that your Indian influence is a good selling point, and starting off early with that is to your benefit, which "Princess" wouldn't show. So maybe use something like, "As a Rajkumari, princess of Ashokya, Aarya is blah blah blah." You might need to play around with some wording until you get it right, but that's a framework to start from. I'd also see what other people weigh in on. I have a feeling that others will want you to still keep "Rajkumari", but more opinions will help. Good luck.

If you found my feedback useful, I'd appreciate yours: Ouroboros

#4 Kjcloutier19

Kjcloutier19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have had a short story published in a school anthology, but my goal now is to publish the novel I have been working on for the past couple of years.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

------

Dear Agent,

Seventeen-year-old Aarya (although I love this name, I immediately think of Arya Stark from GOT. If this was intended that's okay, but be careful about using such popular names. People will immediately picture your character to look/act like the other one, which could backfire if they

re nothing alike)  is not the gentle and subservient Rajkumari (Princess) that is expected of her. Although she is kind and respectful toward her people, she also contains a bold and unapologetic personality that involves taking many secretive outings to the forbidden wilderness outside the palace walls. (this is not exciting enough - you need some sort of hook)

However, unfortunately for Aarya, her secret life (I did not realize her life was secret?) comes to an abrupt end due to an unpleasant proposal put forth by her father, the Maharaj (King) of Ashokya. Although Aarya immensely respects her father and consents to his wishes in his presence, she is very much in disagreement with his proposal and attempts to sabotage his future plans for her, risking imprisonment, banishment, or worse.

During this difficult time, Aarya faces yet another challenge in the form of her older sister, Rajkumari (Princess) Riya, who acts increasingly more disturbed by the day. Confused and frustrated by the events around her, Aarya works desperately to bring control and independence into her life again. In this process, she becomes well acquainted with a mysterious soldier named Akhil, whom she initially despises, but grows to slowly like.

Intermixed with her own personal conflicts, her sister’s growing disturbances, her complicated friendship with Akhil, and her love for a surprise guest she tries her best to avoid, Aarya is in the center of great emotional turmoil. However, right when Aarya seems to have control of her life again, sudden, escalating events force her out of the palace for good. 

(I am intrigued by this query but I think you need to bring down your wordiness a lot. You have so much here and yet I don't feel like I learned anything. What is the proposal she's forced to take? What is her sister actually doing and why? And what's at stake? She's having a hard time emotionally but so what? We all are lol And what does the soldier have to do with anything? He just seems to be there.)

The above is a short summary of my novel SAINYA, which is a 75,000-word young adult historical fantasy inspired by ancient India. (I love that it's inspired by ancient India, but at first I honestly had no idea - I wasn't sure if it was a fantasy or a sci-fi. If it's possible, try to make it more clear in the actual query)

Diversity is very important to me as a reader and a writer. I’ve noticed that many books in the YA market fail to explore the traditions of India and the strength and vulnerability of Indian females. As an immigrant from Southern India myself, I wanted to bridge this gap and write about a place that is close to my heart. (love this, but again, I think you can find away to bring this into the book description itself)

(Signature)

I hope my comments are helpful and best of luck on your journey! I think you've really got something here!

I'd also love if you took a moment to look over my own query http://agentquerycon...n-ya-fantasy/  

#5 punitrastogi

punitrastogi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Ready with the first draft of my first book

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:12 AM

I know exactly where you are coming from, and the context that you bring in your novel.

And I also agree with what others think - there is nothing mentioned in your query that should keep an agent interested.

I know it is present in your manuscript, but it needs to be in the query too.

I am not going to repeat what others have said, but just wanted to hint at what to keep and what to eliminate.

So, here goes:

------

Dear Agent,

Seventeen-year-old princess Aarya (You can keep the "princess" for this forum and "rajkumari" for your own version of the query. Since the translations dont add value to the content, it would be better to keep it simple for people who are not aware of the language) is not the gentle and subservient Rajkumari (Princess) that is expected of her. Although she is gentle and kind and respectful towards her people, but she also contains a bold and unapologetic personality that involves likes taking forbidden many secretive outings to the forbidden wilderness outside the palace walls. (You can give a hint on how this habit lands her in trouble, and what kind of trouble it might be)

However, unfortunately for Aarya, her secret life comes to an abrupt end due to by an unpleasant proposal put forth by her father, the Maharaj (King) of Ashokya. Although Aarya immensely respects her father and consents to his wishes in his presence, she is very much in disagreement with his proposal and attempts to sabotage his future plans for her, risking imprisonment, banishment, or worse. (These 2 paras combined and rephrased can be a good hook. So the questions that come to the mind of the reader [like what proposal and why is she angry?] can actually help you in keeping them interested)

During this difficult time, Aarya faces yet another challenge in the form of her older sister, Rajkumari (Princess) Riya, who acts increasingly more disturbed by the day. (Unless you give details about Riya's condition, there is no point mentioning it. Also, Riya is a Sanskrit name but incorrectly assumed to be modern. IF the agent is not aware of its origins, they would take this as a loophole - how can an ancient princess have a modern name?) Confused and frustrated by the events around her, Aarya works desperately to bring control and independence into her life again. In this process, she becomes well acquainted with a mysterious soldier named Akhil, whom she initially despises, but grows to slowly like.

Intermixed with her own personal conflicts, her sister’s growing disturbances, her complicated friendship with Akhil, and her love for a surprise guest (If the love angle is with the guest, rephrase the last sentence of the previous para. If it is a conflict and/or love triangle, mention more details of this other guy like you did with Akhil) she tries her best to avoid, Aarya is in the center of great emotional turmoil. However, right when Aarya seems to have control of her life again, sudden, escalating events force her out of the palace for good. (THIS! This is what might make your story unique. Fill up your query with details about this instead of the king and other details of the princess's opinion about everything. Until you add this, you are not making the agent think twice about your story.)

(Signature)

Hope it helps.

Please have a look at my query too :)

#6 spineofiron

spineofiron

Probably Drinking Coffee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:29 PM

Just wanted to say that it sounds like your country, Ashokya, is a made-up kingdom -- is that correct? If so, this isn't a YA historical fantasy, even if it's inspired by real places and events. Historical fantasy involves actual historical places and events, sometimes even real historical characters. A great example is Rae Carson's Walk on Earth a Stranger, which takes place in the actual California gold rush years but tells the story of a protagonist who can magically sense the presence of gold.

"I am a fire escape. My spine is made of iron, my heart pumps out old red paint."

-- Foster the People

-- -- --

NIGHT OF SORROWS

Query

Hook

250 Words

#7 Heliagrey

Heliagrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Previously published with Great Potential Press.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:00 PM

Dear Agent,

When seventeen-year-old Aarya discovers her father gambled away her hand in marriage, she is left both devastated and livid.(Hm... I'd cut devastated and livid, or find another place to put it. The hook for me is that she's been gambled away in marriage. Stick with the short and punchy.) However, as the Rajkumari, princess of Ashokya, Aarya (It's really hard in a fantasy- I sympathize- but there's too many made up words/names in a row here. It cuts off the flow, I feel)understands her responsibility to save both her father and her kingdom from humiliation, and forcibly assents (? How does one forcibly assent? With a... nodding dagger? ) to the marriage.

Starting with the shocking wedding proposal, Aarya’s life begins to take a toll for the worse. As her intoxicated father becomes less and less fit to hold the crown of Ashokya, Aarya’s widowed older sister, Rajkumari Riya, shows interest in taking some of the royal responsibilities. The royal family initially encourages Rajkumari Riya, but Aarya has some concerns regarding her mental state. Ever since Riya’s husband died and she had to return to Ashokya as a widow, Aarya witnessed some disturbances in her sister’s manner, which included cruel behavior with the servants, enclosing herself from the rest of the palace, and sometimes even talking with herself.(There's too much here. I'm reading quickly like an agent and I'm already lost. Try to pare it back down to Aarya and her stakes, not every challenge that happens. And it should be related to your hook- so if that's not the main hook of the story, I'd not use it even if it's at the front of the book.)

Worried intensely (you've got a lot of descriptive words here, and they're not necessary for a query. I'd kill the 'intensely' and the others.) about her upcoming marriage and her sister’s strange behavior, Aarya seeks the help of a mysterious soldier named Akhil. Instead of relieving her worries, however, Akhil soon introduces her to a secret about the royal family that shakes everything Aarya knew, or thought she knew, about Ashokya; a secret about a dangerous weapon that can destroy entire kingdoms within minutes. (This paragraph is snappier and stronger than the prior 2! Do you need the others?)

Intermixed with her own personal confusion, her sister’s growing emotional disturbances, and her conflicting friendship with Akhil, Aarya is in the center of great emotional turmoil.(The beginning of this sentence isn't grammatical friends with its end. Take out the comma clauses and read it- it's not a whole thought.) However, right when Aarya seems to have control of her life again, she is forced to leave the palace in search of the secret weapon Akhil had told her about.

If Aarya does not return to the palace, weapon in hand, within three weeks, there will be a war; a war that destroys her kingdom, her people, her family.

SAINYA is a 75,000-word young adult historical fiction inspired by ancient India. 

Diversity is very important to me as a reader and a writer. I’ve noticed that many books in the YA market fail to explore the traditions of India and the strength and vulnerability of Indian females. (Super cool. I do love that it comes across in the query. May be a more professional way to say it than "I noticed" but this is still a really nice selling point. ) As an immigrant from Southern India myself, I wanted to bridge this gap and write about a place that is close to my heart.

(Signature)

Good luck, love. I'd say look at the first 50 pages of the work, and stick to that. Even if the larger conflicts & quests aren't in there, try to use the hook as a segue to the character stakes and development in that first 50 pages (or so). Keep working! :) 

#8 JDSmith

JDSmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:I have finished my first novel and am currently figuring out the publishing process in hopes to one day be published.

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

Dear Agent,

When seventeen-year-old Aarya's father gambles away her hand in marriage, she is left both devastated and livid. However, as princess of Ashokya, Aarya understands her responsibility to save both her father and her kingdom from humiliation, and forcibly (I wouldn't use focibly... how about "reluctantly"?) assents to the marriage.

As her intoxicated father becomes less and less fit to hold the crown, Aarya’s widowed older sister, Riya, shows interest in taking some of the royal responsibilities. The royal family initially encourages Riya, but Aarya has some concerns regarding her mental state. Ever since returned to Ashokya after her husband's death, she has shown cruel behavior towards the servants, enclosed herself from the rest of the palace, and sometimes can be heard talking to herself.

Worried about her upcoming marriage and her sister’s strange behavior, Aarya seeks the help of a mysterious soldier named Akhil. Instead of relieving her worries, however, Akhil soon introduces her to a secret about the royal family that shakes everything Aarya knew, or thought she knew, about Ashokya; a secret about a dangerous weapon that can destroy entire kingdoms within minutes.

Intermixed with her own personal confusion, her sister’s growing emotional disturbances, and her conflicting friendship with Akhil, Aarya is in the center of great emotional turmoil. However, right when Aarya seems to have control of her life again, she is forced to leave the palace in search of the secret weapon Akhil had told her about.

If Aarya does not return to the palace, weapon in hand, within three weeks, there will be a war; a war that destroys her kingdom, her people, her family. (Hmm... I think you should spend more of the querry building this up... it comes out of nowhere, but is also the main driving point of the stakes.)

(I cut out sections I thought should be removed to make it look cleaner. I don't think you need to mention the specific name of the princesses of Ashokya in th querry. Save the cool worldbuilding stuff like that for the manuscript. :) Anyway, I think their might be too many characters showing up in this querry. We've got Aarya, the drunk king, the guy she's betrothed to, the unsettling sister, and Akhil. Personally, I think it's best for the query if you name the protagoist and antagonist and simply mention the others as "the father" or "a mysterious warrior". It makes us focus on Aarya more, which is who we want to root for from the start. Overall, I think you've definitely got something here. You just need some tweeking and this will be ready to be sent off!)

SAINYA is a 75,000-word young adult historical fiction inspired by ancient India. (< I like this note about being inspired my ancient india.)

(Signature)

I'd really appreciate help with my query: Iris Mjolnir Spawn of War

First 250 words here: Woooo

Write on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users