6 replies to this topic

#1 tinkham_nicole

tinkham_nicole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have no previous publishing experience.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

Dear [name of agent],

According to a Gallup poll, more than 70 percent of workers don't feel satisfied with their career choices. The reason why they don’t make a change is because they simply don’t know how to.

The Passion Book: Discover What You Were Born to Do and Make a Living at It helps the reader make the change they need in order to live a more fulfilling life, discover their calling, and start a business they enjoy.

The book encourages the reader to begin making healthy changes to their everyday lives through exercise, nutrition, and meditation. This helps them gain more confidence and energy to take on their big goals. I help the reader find an exercise routine that they love and also works around their busy schedule, a simple nutrition plan that anyone can stick to, and quick meditation sessions perfect for the beginner.

Next, they’ll delve into their passions and discover the one thing they were born to do. So many people feel in their hearts that they were meant to do more with their lives but get hung up on what that looks like for them. The answer is revealed in my 7 question quiz that prompts the reader to analyze their strengths and interests to discover what their passion is.

Finally, the reader will learn how they can turn that newfound passion into a business. The reader is provided with clear action steps to get from the emptiness feeling of a boring job to running a business they love, in turn finding their purpose in life. Worksheets and templates (such as the “Weekly Reflection” activity and “Turning your Passions Into a Career” brainstorm session) throughout the book prompt the reader to act immediately, a unique edge this book has over many other self-help books.

The passion Book is my first book to be published and I decided to write the book when Hurricane Irma was projected to hit our tiny home dead on. In a moment of terror, I realized I had never done what I truly wanted with my life, write a book. After the scare, I immediately started writing The Passion Book with the goal to help others discover their passion before time slips away from them. My passions and goals were non-existent before I made a few lifestyle changes through exercise and healthy eating. I went from clueless and miserable to positive and ambitious and I know the principles of The Passion Book can work for others as they have for me.

While researching literary agents, I stumbled upon your bio and thought we may be a good fit to work together because [specific to agent]

The manuscript to The Passion Book is complete and has not been published yet. I hope you’re interested in looking over my proposal and I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time.

#2 cmmg

cmmg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

I'm pretty sure for nonfiction like self-help publishers want just proposals not a full done manuscript(so I don't know that mentioning it would help). Also this is really long.

I'd say more but I'm not sure about how to best format a nonfiction query.

Dear [name of agent],

According to a Gallup poll,  (It's good to have sources but I don't know this source and it's wordy so if maybe put it at the end)more than 70 percent of workers don't feel satisfied with their career choices. The reason whyBut they don’t make a change is because they simply don’t know how to.

The Passion Book: Discover What You Were Born to Do and Make a Living at It helps the reader make the change they need in order to live a more fulfilling life, discover their calling, and start a business they enjoy. (is this supposed to go here? I don't know the formatting so I'll just comment on wording)

The book encourages the reader to begin making make healthy changes to their everyday lives through exercise, nutrition, and meditation (how does this relate to discovering what you were born to do). This helps them gain more confidence and energy to take on their big goals (okay goals, how does this relate to DISCOVERING what you were born to do). I help the reader find an exercise routine that they love and also works around their busy schedule, a simple nutrition plan that anyone can stick to, and quick meditation sessions perfect for the beginner(you already said this in the first sentence you dont' need to say it again, also, it's unrelated to finding a better job. This improves life, but how is related to jobs, which you started with and which you but in the books subtilte).

Next, they’ll delve into their passions and discover the one thing they were born to do (why doesn't the book start with that? And how does the above help with this? Why would it be the same thing?). So many people feel in their hearts that they were meant to do more with their lives but get hung up on what that looks like for them(what are you trying to say here). The answer is revealed in my 7 question quiz that prompts the reader to analyze their strengths and interests to discover what their passion is(you can do that with 7 questions only).

Finally, the reader will learn how they can turn that newfound passion into a business. The reader is provided with clear action steps to get from the emptiness feeling of a boring job to running a business they love, in turn finding their purpose in life. Worksheets and templates (such as the “Weekly Reflection” activity and “Turning your Passions Into a Career” brainstorm session) throughout the book prompt the reader to act immediately, a unique edge this book has over many other self-help books.

The Passion Book is my first book to be published and I decided to write the book when Hurricane Irma was projected to hit our tiny home dead on. In a moment of terror, I realized I had never done what I truly wanted with my life, write a book. After the scare, I immediately started writing The Passion Book with the goal to help others discover their passion before time slips away from them. My passions and goals were non-existent before I made a few lifestyle changes through exercise and healthy eating. I went from clueless and miserable to positive and ambitious and I know the principles of The Passion Book can work for others as they have for me. (this is a nice story but doesn't tell me what make you qualified to write this, espeically when platform is so crucial in nonfiction.)

While researching literary agents, I stumbled upon your bio and thought we may be a good fit to work together because [specific to agent]

The manuscript to The Passion Book is complete and has not been published yet.

I hope you’re interested in looking over my proposal and I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time.

I would skip the exercise bit or relate it more to the job because it seems out of place.

I also feel like you don't really sell why you're writing this other than "this bad thing happened and I re-evaluated my life" which is sort of generic. Also I don't know why you mentioned it's your first book to be published as opposed to other books? You probably don't need that there (or you wouldn't in fiction, if it's nonfiction that probably works against you, since it means you don't have a built in audience)/

Otherwise, again, I'm not sure the structure for nonfiction, so sorry about that, but I hope this helps anyway?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

synopsis

#3 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:50 PM

Dear [name of agent],

According to a Gallup poll, more than 70 percent of workers don't feel satisfied with their career choices. The reason why they don’t make a change is because they simply don’t know how to. <is this backed up by something? It reads oddly, because you don't cite anything for it, which makes it seem as if it's not.

The Passion Book: Discover What You Were Born to Do and Make a Living at It helps the reader make the change they need in order to live a more fulfilling life, discover their calling, and start a business they enjoy.

The book encourages the reader to begin making healthy changes to their everyday lives through exercise, nutrition, and meditation. This helps them gain more confidence and energy to take on their big goals. I help the reader find an exercise routine that they love and also works around their busy schedule, a simple nutrition plan that anyone can stick to, and quick meditation sessions perfect for the beginner. The grammar here is problematic, and you switched subjects. Also, in general terms, this seems like a whole lot of disparate things that I don't see fitting together, and you haven't explained your expertise.

Next, they’ll delve into their passions and discover the one thing they were born to do. So many people feel in their hearts that they were meant to do more with their lives but get hung up on what that looks like for them. The answer is revealed in my 7 question quiz that prompts the reader to analyze their strengths and interests to discover what their passion is. I think you reeeeally want to highlight specifics here more than... a seven-question quiz??

Finally, the reader will learn how they can turn that newfound passion into a business. The reader is provided with clear action steps to get from the emptiness feeling of a boring job to running a business they love, in turn finding their purpose in life. Worksheets and templates (such as the “Weekly Reflection” activity and “Turning your Passions Into a Career” brainstorm session) throughout the book prompt the reader to act immediately, a unique edge this book has over many other self-help books. Again, specifics -- and your expertise. Also again, this needs editing, badly.

The passion Book is my first book to be published and I decided to write the book when Hurricane Irma was projected to hit our tiny home dead on. In a moment of terror, I realized I had never done what I truly wanted with my life, write a book. After the scare, I immediately started writing The Passion Book with the goal to help others discover their passion before time slips away from them. My passions and goals were non-existent before I made a few lifestyle changes through exercise and healthy eating. I went from clueless and miserable to positive and ambitious and I know the principles of The Passion Book can work for others as they have for me.

The manuscript to The Passion Book is complete  If it's complete, give a wc. and has not been published yet. I hope you’re interested in looking over my proposal and I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time.

This could be a lot shorter and more specific and to the point -- I also presume you have a full proposal. Use things from that to explain specifics and your expertise, because this sounds like so much, and it reads as very, very vague and mushy, so I think you need it as clear as possible.

#4 Carney

Carney

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I published my first short story in a magazine contest at age 14. But after college, I spent years writing technical articles for clinical social work journals. I also did a great deal of grant writing. Then I left social work and became a writer and photographer doing nature and travel work. I've published numerous travel articles in regional magazines around the US. I also help develop outdoor education materials for middle school age children.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

I write non-fiction, albeit not self-help. [Mostly nature and travel for magazines] In the process of finding an agent and then a publisher for my memoir, I attended a number of workshops for non-fiction writers.  I'll share what I learned at these workshops and from my current agent in hope of helping: 

Self-help is very different from narrative non-fiction. To interest an agent in taking you on as a client, rather than giving all detail of your book, you need to market yourself. What qualifications and experience do you have that provides the means to write such a book? Having experienced a moment of clarity amidst the trauma of threatening weather is interesting, but you need something more to showcase your knowledge and understanding. Since you encourage readers to pursue their passion into business, then you need to show an agent that you have business talent. The same for offering any type advice in a book, you must show your knowledge is based on something more than just shared ideas. 

I strongly suggest studying the current market in your topic. There are numerous books on finding your passion; fulfilling your life's purpose and changing your path so as to attain enlightenment and success. In non-fiction, particularly self-help, you must show the agent you understand the current market. A very quick look on Amazon shows at least two dozen non-fiction books with passion in the title. What sets your book apart? 

I also urge you to read up on how self-help is marketed to agents. Generally, an agent wants a proposal, not a query. The proposal should outline your theory, the book's structure and how you plan to present the material so as to interest potential readers. Again, the single most important element is to showcase your experience and qualifications. 

#5 tinkham_nicole

tinkham_nicole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

I write non-fiction, albeit not self-help. [Mostly nature and travel for magazines] In the process of finding an agent and then a publisher for my memoir, I attended a number of workshops for non-fiction writers.  I'll share what I learned at these workshops and from my current agent in hope of helping: 

Self-help is very different from narrative non-fiction. To interest an agent in taking you on as a client, rather than giving all detail of your book, you need to market yourself. What qualifications and experience do you have that provides the means to write such a book? Having experienced a moment of clarity amidst the trauma of threatening weather is interesting, but you need something more to showcase your knowledge and understanding. Since you encourage readers to pursue their passion into business, then you need to show an agent that you have business talent. The same for offering any type advice in a book, you must show your knowledge is based on something more than just shared ideas. 

I strongly suggest studying the current market in your topic. There are numerous books on finding your passion; fulfilling your life's purpose and changing your path so as to attain enlightenment and success. In non-fiction, particularly self-help, you must show the agent you understand the current market. A very quick look on Amazon shows at least two dozen non-fiction books with passion in the title. What sets your book apart? 

I also urge you to read up on how self-help is marketed to agents. Generally, an agent wants a proposal, not a query. The proposal should outline your theory, the book's structure and how you plan to present the material so as to interest potential readers. Again, the single most important element is to showcase your experience and qualifications. 

I greatly appreciate your advice. Prior to posting this, I worked in a small critique group with all fiction writers. You're right, self-help is very different and I can see where I need to make some changes. My current struggle is not having much experience at all but I'm going to think it over. If I was able to write the manuscript, I'm sure I have some qualifications that I'm missing at the moment! Again, thank you for all your help.

#6 tinkham_nicole

tinkham_nicole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:34 PM

This could be a lot shorter and more specific and to the point -- I also presume you have a full proposal. Use things from that to explain specifics and your expertise, because this sounds like so much, and it reads as very, very vague and mushy, so I think you need it as clear as possible.

I appreciate your edits. I also thought it was very long. This was the final product after a small critique session with other writers, mainly fiction writers. I wanted to get a second opinion by posting on here. Thank you so much for your help!

#7 tinkham_nicole

tinkham_nicole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

I'm pretty sure for nonfiction like self-help publishers want just proposals not a full done manuscript(so I don't know that mentioning it would help). Also this is really long.

I'd say more but I'm not sure about how to best format a nonfiction query.

I would skip the exercise bit or relate it more to the job because it seems out of place.

I also feel like you don't really sell why you're writing this other than "this bad thing happened and I re-evaluated my life" which is sort of generic. Also I don't know why you mentioned it's your first book to be published as opposed to other books? You probably don't need that there (or you wouldn't in fiction, if it's nonfiction that probably works against you, since it means you don't have a built in audience)/

Otherwise, again, I'm not sure the structure for nonfiction, so sorry about that, but I hope this helps anyway?

Yes, this does help and I thank you so much for your advice! I think it can be much shorter and simplified. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users