1 reply to this topic

#1 Loves the Written Word

Loves the Written Word

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist for the Focus Features section of the Lehigh Valley Press since 2006. Revising a middle grade chapter book called The Ghosts of Cratchit Castle, which is a Dickens-inspired mystery set in Victorian London.

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

I am writing a middle-grade Christmas mystery set in 1875 London, in a home where the family is fairly well-to-do. Would they have indoor plumbing?

#2 BadgerFox

BadgerFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:08 AM

Possibly yes, but only in a dedicated bathroom. Not in multiple sinks and toilets plumbed all over the house (the kitchen might have a water-pump just outside as an alternative source or mayyyybe a scullery tap, for the servants to use). In the bathroom, the bath and sink and toilet would be fairly newly-installed, and considered a bit fancy and modern.

The toilet probably wouldn't look like the ones today i.e. it might be painted in fancy colours with floral designs and would have a cistern mounted high on the wall with a pull-chain. The room used to put the toilet and bath in would also be a lot more like a regular victorian room, with wooden panelling and tea-tables and rugs, rather than something lined in tiles or linoleum as for today.

Sources: https://vivaciousvic...history-lesson/ plus I remember several scenes of Sugar bathing in the new bath from The Crimson Petal and the White, which was set 1875. :)

Spare a little feedback, if you have a moment? :)

My AU historical novel query: here. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users