DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:49 AM

Okay, this is actually a manuscript formatting question, not a query question, but I couldn't figure out where else to put this.

I know when formatting a manuscript, you use "#" to denote paragraph break. Now, if you have a break within the chapter where it switches to a different POV and storyline, do you still use the "#" or is there a different way to format this to show this isn't just a regular paragraph break and we're jumping into an entirely different character?

#2 AshemDragon

AshemDragon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

Some quick Googling tells me that you indicate a blank line by just putting a # in the middle of that blank line. My understanding is that # doesn't mean any specific purpose for having a blank line, it just indicates that there IS a blank line, and that a blank line is the standard way of indicating any kind of scene break: change of time, of place, of POV, etc.

So I'd say as long as this mid-chapter change is something that you'd indicate with a blank line, just use the #.

#3 NCruz

NCruz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:#AMM mentee

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

I don't think there's a standardized way for chapter/scene breaks.

For chapter breaks, people typically add a page break. Each chapter starts on a new page. For scene breaks, I've seen people use "#" and "# # #" centered on a blank line. Doesn't matter if the perspective is shifting or not. I've seen people use "#" and then the PoV's name in italics underneath, or use new chapters for each perspective shift.

It's up to you. So long as it isn't confusing or inconsistent, you're in the clear.

#4 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019. Bks 4 & 5 in series under contract.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:14 AM

I've been told (by my editors) to use *** centered in the middle of the page, with an extra "space" above and below.

When publishers have the mss formatted, they will have the formatter change the *** to whatever scene break indicator (I mean a design element, like a fancier divider) they want. Sometimes, in a digital copy, it remains as a *** though. 

#5 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

I've been told (by my editors) to use *** centered in the middle of the page, with an extra "space" above and below.

When publishers have the mss formatted, they will have the formatter change the *** to whatever scene break indicator (I mean a design element, like a fancier divider) they want. Sometimes, in a digital copy, it remains as a *** though. 

Thanks everyone :) See, this is where I become cross-eyed. So should I put the "#" when I want to indicate just an extra space, and then the "* * *" when I want to indicate that yes, I do want some sort of visual thing here to show we're changing into a new storyline? Or should I just use "#" the entire way through for consistency? AHHHHH.

#6 NCruz

NCruz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:#AMM mentee

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:02 PM

I would stick to one for scene breaks, regardless if you want to insert a visual thing or just have a blank space. You can talk about it later with an agent/editor.

Keep it simple. Stick to *** or ### or #. At the querying stage, I don't think it matters much unless it's wildly inconsistent or has obvious significant meaning.

#7 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

Yes, this isn't even the cart being put before the horse; it's a small part of the cart.

#8 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:04 PM

Yeah, I figured as much. As I was writing the story, I seperated POV's with the three stars, and then when I went to format everything properly, I started overthinking what I was supposed to do. Classic.

#9 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

we all do that at times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users