#1 Dr Anne

Dr Anne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories, articles, poems published in books, anthologies, magazines and online, in Australia.

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:32 AM

Hi,

I would like to know YA whether sci-fi can be included as a subgroup in YA fantasy or is it separate altogether?  My sister and I are writing YA short stories for a comp. I am writing about magical things and  she wants to use elements of sci-fi in her story.

I thought sci-fi was distinct from fantasy and would like others' opinions.

Thanks, Dr Anne. 

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

I think it depends on how a collection is defining them. To my mind, they both fall under the category of "speculative fiction" (a term that always seemed a bit too general to me; what fiction is not speculative?)

But there's clearly a difference between science fiction and fantasy, as any lover of Star Trek or Star Wars and the Hobbit or Harry Potter would tell you.

(And where does one place magical realism?)

When I write science fiction, I try to make sure that things seem consistent with the world that I'm building. I'd expect that fantasy is essentially ruled by the same expectation.

Not sure that helps you. I look forward to learning what others might offer.

#3 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:19 PM

They are separate but related, hence why they tend to be shelved together. I like the Rod Sterling quote, "It's been said that science fiction and fantasy are two different things: science fiction the improbable made possible; fantasy, the impossible made probable..." I do think it is important to differentiate, them, however, as, for instance, for my own book I'm querying right now, I never wanted to market it as sci-fi, even though it certainly has some elements. (I eventually settled for science fantasy, the blend of the two, which I think is just right.) But as a reader who pretty much only sticks to the speculative genre, I still note that I predominantly go with fantasy with occasional forays into sci-fi. Basically both are sub-genres of speculative. You can read a bit more on the genres here: http://tvtropes.org/...culativeFiction

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#4 Quillaby

Quillaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

After some great advice I just received about my own book, I would shop this as "young adult fantasy with sci-fi crossover appeal".

If in doubt, though, speculative fiction is a safe bet.

#5 Dr Anne

Dr Anne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories, articles, poems published in books, anthologies, magazines and online, in Australia.

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:39 AM

Thanks. My sister dropped the sci-fi idea and wrote more of a dystopian story for the contest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users