DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hello all, I figured I should throw up my horrific attempts at a pitch for some feedback :)

Short one: A geriatric farmer and his dog get sucked into a carrot and must find a way to escape before they are doomed to an eternity inside of it.

Longer one: A geriatric farmer gets sucked into a world inside of a carrot at the hands of his deranged neighbour. He must now find a way to escape before the timeline is rewritten, his neighbour ends up with his wife, and he ceases to exist.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,692 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:45 PM

Of the two, I prefer the short version.

While the longer one obviously gives more detail, the first caught my attention better.

#3 Bkrasnik

Bkrasnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short stories have been published in Red Shoes Review, Calliope, and the Zodiac Review. I have also published writing advice articles in Black Fox literary magazine and EveryWriterResources.com.

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

Hello all, I figured I should throw up my horrific attempts at a pitch for some feedback :)

Short one: A geriatric farmer and his dog get sucked into a carrot and must find a way to escape before they are doomed to an eternity inside of it.

Longer one: A geriatric farmer gets sucked into a world inside of a carrot at the hands of his deranged neighbour. He must now find a way to escape before the timeline is rewritten, his neighbour ends up with his wife, and he ceases to exist.

This is very strange but very intriguing. Reminds me a bit of James and the Giant Peach. 

I second mwsinclair. I think the shorter one is better. The second sentence of the longer one is a little confusing. I would add "at the hands of his deranged neighbor" into the short one, and I think that will make it even a little bit better. 

Have a moment to offer up some very much appreciated feedback? :)

My Young Adult Dystopian Query: http://agentquerycon...ate-on-post-15/

#4 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the input guys :) Bkrasnik, I like your suggestion about putting the neighbour thing in the shorter one. 

I guess bigger isn't always better  :wink:   :wink:  I'll see myself out now...

#5 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

I also like the shorter on better.

#6 bookgirl_kt

bookgirl_kt

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Currently querying agents.

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:52 AM

Both of them are good! I think the longer one could be made shorter: his timeline being rewritten and ceasing to exist are basically the same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users