• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Unpublished.

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

1. The Last Roskildes

2. The Other Roskilde.

How it relates: Roskilde is the family name of the MC. She and her sister are forced on the run after their childhood home is burnt down and the remaining family are missing presumed dead.

I like The Other Roskilde but perhaps treads too close to The Other Boleyn Girl? The MS does initially start off with sisterly rivalry but grows into something quite different.

Preferences?

Thanks so much.

#2 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:48 AM

I like The other Roskilde

Query:  10 DAY BETRAYAL

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

RABBIT 76 (NEW PROJECT)

Twitter: @tccorrey

#3 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

2. rolls off the tongue easier, but "Roskilde" is a vague. If I came across the title without prior knowledge, I wouldn't assume it was a family name or even a name of a person. I'd be confused. Up to you, of course.

I love dogs

#4 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

Roskilde is a city in Denmark, which is the first thing I think of when I see the name (they have an excellent viking ship museum there, and you can sail a replica ship in the harbor). So "The Other Roskilde" makes me think place, like a hidden side to the real city. 

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:40 AM

Not to be negative, but neither really does anything for me. Like Nessa said, if I came to this without any knowledge of what Roskilde means (which is essentially the case for me), I'd be clueless and move on.

Now, to be fair, you might not be looking for me as a reader, and that's totally fine. But I don't get a sense of genre with the title; I'd assume literary fiction, but if it's something more specific, that isn't in the name, but that's why cover design is so important.

#6 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:23 PM

I'm a fantasy reader, and neither particularly does it for me. As others have noted, without having context, Roskilde means absolutely nothing. Not to mention that I don't feel that it flows off the tongue well enough to appear in the title.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#7 kailam

kailam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Unpublished.

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:13 AM

Thanks so much everyone - good to know! Off to scratch my head for some new ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users