Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

BURN IT TO THE GROUND (Query feedback wanted! Happy to return the favor.)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gigigriffis

gigigriffis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Eleven travel guides (self-published for speed reasons). Featured in Forbes, New York Times, Get Lost Magazine, Huffington Post, etc.

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:37 AM

Would love feedback on my query and very happy to return the favor (just let me know where to find yours)!

I've tweaked the stakes based on the feedback I've gotten. Would love to have a few more pairs of eyes on the new version!

NEW VERSION:

Subject line: QUERY: BURN IT TO THE GROUND, Historical Fiction

Dear agent,

Jeanne de Clisson is out for revenge.

At forty-two, her perfect life—a loving husband, three boisterous kids, and two castles in the French countryside—shatters when Phillip VI, the King of France, arrests and beheads her husband for treachery.

There’s no evidence and no trial—only the execution.

The nobles are shocked. The paranoid king is relieved. And Jeanne…

Jeanne wants the king’s head on a pike.

To get justice, she’ll have to sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life. But when the king finds her carefully hidden children and captures one of the few people Jeanne has left, it’s not just her life on the line anymore and Jeanne will have to decide whose justice is more important—the living or the dead?

Based on the true story of notorious female pirate Jeanne de Clisson, BURN IT TO THE GROUND is a 90,000-word historical thriller set in the 1300s in France and England. It’s a revenge tale a la COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO with a lady lead, a more diverse cast, and a commercial style.

I’m a copywriter and travel writer with 15 years experience. Previous publication credits include Get Lost Magazine, International Living, Huffington Post, Fodor’s guidebooks, and an essay in TINY BUDDHA’S 365 TINY LOVE CHALLENGES, published by Harper Collins.

[reason I’m querying].

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

ORIGINAL QUERY (feel free to skip now):

Dear agent,

At forty-two, her perfect life—a loving husband, three boisterous kids, and two castles in the French countryside—shatters when Phillip VI, the King of France, arrests and beheads her husband for treachery.

To get justice, she’ll sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life and the only family she has left. 

Based on the true story of notorious female pirate Jeanne de Clisson, BURN IT TO THE GROUND is a 90,000-word historical thriller set in the 1300s in France and England. It’s a revenge tale a la COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO with a lady lead, a more diverse cast, and a commercial style and may appeal to fans of REJECTED PRINCESSES and AND I DARKEN.

I’m a copywriter and travel writer with 15 years experience. Previous publication credits include Get Lost Magazine, International Living, Huffington Post, Fodor’s guidebooks, and an essay in TINY BUDDHA’S 365 TINY LOVE CHALLENGES, published by Harper Collins.

[reason I’m querying].

Sincerely,

Gigi

Will you take a peek at my query?

Sincerely,

Gigi Griffis

Copywriter, Content Strategist, & Travel Guide Author

Blog  /  Website  /  Facebook  /  Twitter

#2 JoQwerty

JoQwerty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

Great query. Contains all the elements we are told a query should contain.

Two small suggestion.

1) I would combine the lines:

Into one:

The nobles are shocked. The paranoid king is relieved. And Jeanne…Jeanne wants the king’s head on a pike.

2) The sentence:

To get justice, she’ll sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life and the only family she has left.

is in future tense. Why not set it in the present like the previous paragraphs?

In pursuit of vengeance, she sells her castles, learns to captain a pirate fleet, and risks everything—including her life and the only family she has left.

Good luck!

#3 kat8

kat8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:46 PM

Would love feedback on my query and very happy to return the favor (just let me know where to find yours)!

QUERY:

Dear agent,

The nobles are shocked. The paranoid (this word is a little clunky and unnecessary; from the previous information, it's clear he is paranoid, and it kind of breaks up the parallel flow of these three sentences) king is relieved. And Jeanne…

Based on the true story of notorious female pirate Jeanne de Clisson, BURN IT TO THE GROUND is a 90,000-word historical thriller set in the 1300s in France and England. It’s a revenge tale a la COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO (When I was doing my own query research, I read that comp titles are meant more for sales and commercial placement, so classics are not a good idea. It does sound like your book is like Monte Cristo, and you do have other titles. I'm not sure how important this is, but I just wanted to let you know)with a lady lead, a more diverse cast, and a commercial style and may appeal to fans of REJECTED PRINCESSES and AND I DARKEN.

[reason I’m querying].

Sincerely,

Gigi

I think this is an amazing query!! I definitely want to read your book after reading this, and I really think that a lot of agents would feel the same!

Good luck! If you have the time, I'd love it if you could take a look at my query, linked in the signature below :)

My query: 27 Club

#4 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

QUERY:

Dear agent,

At forty-two, her perfect life—a loving husband, three boisterous kids, and two castles in the French countryside—shatters when Phillip VI, the King of France, arrests and beheads her husband for treachery.[To me, this has the tone of a modern day story. The language seems off to me. But that's just me. The other posters don't seem to have that problem.]

Jeanne wants the king’s head on a pike.[Visually, it's weird having so many sentences on their own lines. Consider combining them. Great pitch so far, though! :)]

To get justice, she’ll sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life and the only family she has left. [Consider reworking the list of things she has to do. It's sort of a cliche in sentence craft for querying. It's one of those your-mileage-may-vary things. Really depends on your personal taste.]

Based on the true story of notorious female pirate Jeanne de Clisson, BURN IT TO THE GROUND is a 90,000-word historical thriller set in the 1300s in France and England. It’s a revenge tale a la COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO with a lady lead, a more diverse cast, and a commercial style and may appeal to fans of REJECTED PRINCESSES and AND I DARKEN.[I love AND I DARKEN. Great!]

[reason I’m querying].

Sincerely,

Gigi

I love dogs

#5 gigigriffis

gigigriffis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Eleven travel guides (self-published for speed reasons). Featured in Forbes, New York Times, Get Lost Magazine, Huffington Post, etc.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:27 AM

Thanks, all!

Nessa: the modern language is intentional and reflects the way the story itself is. The goal is to write a historical adventure tale in a modern style that will appeal to a broad commercial audience. Working on that within the book itself with a mentor, but definitely want to keep the query style modern and snappy.

Sincerely,

Gigi Griffis

#6 Bkrasnik

Bkrasnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short stories have been published in Red Shoes Review, Calliope, and the Zodiac Review. I have also published writing advice articles in Black Fox literary magazine and EveryWriterResources.com.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:54 AM

QUERY:

Dear agent,

Jeanne de Clisson is out for revenge. (I am thinking it might be better if you give us the "why" here. Otherwise the hook is a bit generic and overdone.)

There’s no evidence and no trial—only the execution. (This is very short and sweet, but I am wondering if there is a way you can hint at the motivations of the king to kill her husband. Giving us a taste, can really heighten the suspense in this query.)

To get justice, she’ll sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life and the only family she has left.  (I really like this last sentence.)

Based on the true story of notorious female pirate Jeanne de Clisson, BURN IT TO THE GROUND is a 90,000-word historical thriller set in the 1300s in France and England. It’s a revenge tale a la COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO with a lady lead, a more diverse cast, and a commercial style and may appeal to fans of REJECTED PRINCESSES and AND I DARKEN.

[reason I’m querying].

Sincerely,

Gigi

This is a very streamlined query, good job! I understood everything well and there was coherent flow, but I feel like it could be spiced up a bit if you reveal the motivations of the king. If you give us that, I think this query will be good to go! 

If you have some time, I would appreciate feedback on my query :) 

Have a moment to offer up some very much appreciated feedback? :)

My Young Adult Dystopian Query: http://agentquerycon...ate-on-post-15/

#7 W.P.

W.P.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

Dear agent,

Jeanne de Clisson is out for revenge. ((Although it has some punch to it, it think it could be a stronger hook were it more specific. Why, how, or when would do. Just something else that made it less trope-y and more unique.)) 

Jeanne wants the king’s head on a pike. ((I like these short sentences building up the tension, but I'm not sure the paragraphs are working. I think you could join the second with the third and leave this one the shortest to it visually packs more of a punch.))

To get justice, she’ll sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life and the only family she has left. ((I'm conflicted on this ending. On one hand, her risking her children is a huge stake/conflict/source of worry, but on the other hand, if she herself doesn't care enough about them to keep them safe, why should the reader. You know what I mean? The way it is phrased makes it sound like she is willing to sacrifice the safety of her children, which makes it sound like she doesn't care. if she doesn't, why should I? If it were phrased some other way, that emphasised her love for them and her determination to get justice AND keep her children safe, then I think I'd care more about the ending. But this is totally subjective. I know others loved the sentence. )) 

Awesome query! I can see many agents trying to snatch it! :D I made a few comments which I hope will be helpful in some way. :)

If you have time, could you please take a look at my query as well? :) I'd love the feedback.  http://agentquerycon...ntasy/?p=358017

#8 AndrewF

AndrewF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Finished the first book in an eventual trilogy and am looking for an Agent.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, all!

Nessa: the modern language is intentional and reflects the way the story itself is. The goal is to write a historical adventure tale in a modern style that will appeal to a broad commercial audience. Working on that within the book itself with a mentor, but definitely want to keep the query style modern and snappy.

Hey I like your query letter, I just completed a historical fiction book myself and I put a modern style to it as well and threw in some older dialog. Not much but some. You have a lot more experience than I do but if you're interested in doing a first chapter swap I would like the opportunity. My book is Age of Exploration. 

#9 Sataris

Sataris

lives in a van down by the river

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Pro market sff, 1st place WotF winner, reader at Apex Magazine

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:10 PM

QUERY:

Dear agent,

It seems like you could cut the above lines and jump straight into the piracy thing - being that the path she takes for revenge is more interesting than the revenge itself (or her wanting it).

Just a quick first line like "when Philip VI beheads Jeanne de Clisson's husband, she sets out to even the score on the high seas." Just an example (and a terrible one) but it seems like the quicker you can get to housewife-turned-pirate thing the hookier your query will be. Might help to give us some more specifics on what her plan is with regard to piracy too—right now that whole plot line is condensed into a single fragment where she learns to captain a fleet and it's too cool to stay that buried.

basically, her wanting revenge just seems generic at first glance because we don't know how she's going to go about it at that point, and the earlier you can answer that question the better.

To get justice, she’ll sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life and the only family she has left. what happens if she succeeds? does she have to answer for the bloodshed she's caused or is there collateral damage etc. what's her rock-and-a-hard-place situation?

I like the latter comps but I'd definitely drop the classic reference. We also know it's a lady lead, and since your query is in the modern style, we can assume the book will be, too.

I’m a copywriter and travel writer with 15 years experience. Previous publication credits include Get Lost Magazine, International Living, Huffington Post, Fodor’s guidebooks, and an essay in TINY BUDDHA’S 365 TINY LOVE CHALLENGES, published by Harper Collins. is there a reason NYT is missing in here?

[reason I’m querying]. you could stick the diverse cast bit here most likely given that 99% of agents are looking for that at the moment

Sincerely,

Gigi

Hope that was helpful! Best of luck.

No current query.

#10 gigigriffis

gigigriffis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:47 AM

Thanks, AndrewF! I don't have time to swap right now (I already have a full queue of reading for CPs), but good luck!

Sincerely,

Gigi Griffis

#11 RosieSkye

RosieSkye

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:30 AM

QUERY:

Dear agent,

Jeanne de Clisson is out for revenge.  (This feels a little generic - I'd add something to make it stand out.)

At forty-two, her perfect life—a loving husband, three boisterous kids, and two castles in the French countryside—shatters when Phillip VI, the King of France, arrests and beheads her husband for treachery. (I'd put the year up front here, because otherwise it starts out feeling very modern, but then you get into kings and beheadings, and I'm like, "Wait, what?"  It pulls me out of the flow.)

To get justice, she’ll sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life and the only family she has left. (I'm a little confused about her motivations now.  It seems like she cherished her home and family, but part of that life got destroyed, and now she's willing to risk what's left of it to get back at the guy who began to destroy it?  Does she care about her kids or not?)

[reason I’m querying].

Sincerely,

Gigi

Good luck!

#12 Caligulas

Caligulas

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

QUERY:

Dear agent,

Jeanne de Clisson is out for revenge. (This isn't particularly "hooking", as in, if you read that one sentence alone and asked someone if they wanted to read on you'd probably get a lackluster response type of not hooking. The hooking part is the next sentence. Start with that)

At forty-two, her perfect life—a loving husband, three boisterous kids, and two castles in the French countryside—shatters when Phillip VI, the King of France, arrests and beheads her husband for treachery.  (Took out the arrest because the beheading is really the meat of it)

There’s no evidence and no trial—only the execution(Took this out because it's repetitive)

Jeanne wants the king’s head on a pike. (Good, all the more reason to cut the opening sentence. Weakens this one with repetition. Up until this point she could feel a number of ways)

To get justice, she’ll sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life and the only family she has left. (By? Needs a little more. I get her anger, I get her goal, but what's the obstacle standing in her way? She wants to get a fleet, what does she stand to lose by doing so? Just a tad bit more to lay down the stakes clearly. Otherwise, this seems to be in pretty good shape. :) )

[reason I’m querying].

Sincerely,

Gigi

#13 gigigriffis

gigigriffis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

Thanks all! New version in the first post on this thread!

Sincerely,

Gigi Griffis

#14 bookgirl_kt

bookgirl_kt

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Currently querying agents.

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

Here are my suggestions:

Jeanne de Clisson is out for revenge. Nice first line :)

Jeanne wants the king’s head on a pike. You have too many one-liners in a row here. One sentence paragraphs have a special emphasis, but only when used sparingly. You could also do this with less words. (Just telling me the king is paranoid already tells me his motive.)

To get justice, she’ll have to sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life. Her life seems to go without saying. She's already lucky to be alive. But when the king finds her carefully hidden children and captures one of the few people (is her children not the same as the person who gets captured? Confusing) Jeanne has left, it’s not just her life on the line anymore and Jeanne will have to decide whose justice is more important—the living or the dead? Nice ending line and stakes.

Based on the true story of notorious female pirate Jeanne de Clisson, BURN IT TO THE GROUND is a 90,000-word historical thriller set in the 1300s in France and England. It’s a revenge tale a la COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO with a lady lead, a more diverse cast, and a commercial styleI love this comp! You have my heart with a female Monte Cristo, something I've wanted to read for a long time. I would really enjoy reading this book. Good luck!

Hope I've helped! A link to mine is below.

#15 Tyokunbo

Tyokunbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationAfrica
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a Nigerian journalist and writer. I have published LABULABU MASK, a novel(Macmillan Nigeria). I have also published in print and online magazines such as Rake Journal, BBC Focus on Africa Magazine, Flask Review, Zapata!, Liberation Lit, Sage of Consciousness Review, Africa Writer.Com , Big Pulp, the One World anthology, The November 3rd Club, Mobius - A Journal for Social Change, Dog Eat Crow Magazine, 5923 Quarterly, Contemporary World Literature Journal, Bicycle Review, May Day Magazine, Saraba, Pulse Literary Review, Fertile Source, and the Mainstay Press Anthology. I have stories about to be published in Imitation Fruit and Wilderness House Literary Review. I've just complete my short story collection.

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

The introduction, how did you get to know the agent? Read a work she represented? A fan of her blog? I think you should establish a connection with the agent in the opening paragraph.

#16 W.P.

W.P.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:23 AM

Jeanne de Clisson is out for revenge. ((I still think we could use some details here to make it pop))

At forty-two, her perfect life—a loving husband, three boisterous kids, and two castles in the French countryside—shatters when Phillip VI, the King of France, arrests and beheads her husband for treachery. ((Still great))

Jeanne wants the king’s head on a pike. ((Still awesome))

To get justice, she’ll have to sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life. But when the king finds her carefully hidden children and captures one of the few people Jeanne has left, it’s not just her life on the line anymore and Jeanne will have to decide whose justice is more important—the living or the dead? (((Yeeeees! Loving the ending. The ending was the one thing that felt odd, the rest of the query had been great. Now all of the query is great. Great stakes and conflict. Now she sounds like a loving mother who deeply cares about her children, which makes me care about them as well. Great stuff))

Loving the query. I would definitely ask for a full. Great job. :)

I’ve revised my query as well, if you coukd take a look again, it’d be great. http://agentquerycon...que-back/page-4

#17 Sataris

Sataris

lives in a van down by the river

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Pro market sff, 1st place WotF winner, reader at Apex Magazine

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

I've tweaked the stakes based on the feedback I've gotten. Would love to have a few more pairs of eyes on the new version!

NEW VERSION:

Dear agent,

Jeanne de Clisson is out for revenge. I won't mention it again, but this is still my biggest issue with the query. slush piles are full of queries that start with "MC wants revenge" or "MC will have to risk everything for the person they love" or "MC has two weeks to live" (i was guilty of that myself at one point). But if we don't know the MC, we don't care. You address that in the below paragraph, but your first sentence is your first impression, and you really want it to jump off the page and grab the reader. As of now, if a reader skipped your first line, the query would read pretty much the same (and maybe even be a little less repetitive - text in red). It just isn't doing anything for you in its current state.

To get justice, she’ll have to sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet can you rephrase this in present tense so it's more active? Lists in general don't pop. "She sells her castles and founds a pirate fleet of her own, intending to (insert details here)." and risk everything—including her life this is redundant with the addition of the following sentences. But when the king finds her carefully hidden children and captures one of the few people Jeanne has left, it’s not just her life on the line anymore and Jeanne will have to decide whose justice is more important—the living or the dead? no question mark, slightly awkward phrasing

I really like the changes you've made to the above paragraph - it gives us a much better sense of her conflict. I still think we could use some details about how specifically she's going to go about getting her revenge. raiding his ships? crippling the country's economy?

Based on the true story of notorious female pirate Jeanne de Clisson, BURN IT TO THE GROUND is a 90,000-word historical thriller set in the 1300s in France and England. It’s a revenge tale a la COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO with a lady lead, a more diverse cast, and a commercial style. A lot of agents and sites like queryshark advise against mentioning a classic in your query (comps are to show you know your market, and even a 5-year-old book can be considered too dated to be a useful comp) but if you really want to use it given the historical elements of your MS, definitely list your other comps too (they were great).

No current query.

#18 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:02 PM

Dear agent:

At forty-two, her perfect life -- a loving husband, three boisterous kids, and two castles in the French countryside -- shatters when Phillip VI, the King of France, arrests and beheads her husband for treachery.

There’s no evidence and no trial comma only the execution. The nobles are shocked. The paranoid king is relieved. And Jeanne -- I cut some of the other em-dashes and then added one here, after Jeanne, instead of the elipsis.

To get justice, she’ll have to sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, I love this! and risk everything comma including her life. But when the king finds her carefully hidden children and captures one of the few people Jeanne has left, it’s not just her life on the line anymore and Jeanne will have to decide whose justice is more importantthe living or the dead?

Based on the true story of notorious female pirate Jeanne de Clisson, BURN IT TO THE GROUND is a 90,000-word historical thriller set in the 1300s in France and England. It’s a revenge tale a la COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO with a lady lead, a more diverse cast, and a commercial style. I have also heard you shouldn't use classics for comps. If you have something more modern that would be good, but if not then I guess go for it.

I’m a copywriter and travel writer with 15 years experience. Previous publication credits include Get Lost Magazine, International Living, Huffington Post, Fodor’s guidebooks, and an essay in TINY BUDDHA’S 365 TINY LOVE CHALLENGES, published by Harper Collins. Italicize all magazine titles.

I think this is really good. Really, I would request it. I just think you should do two things: cut back on the em-dashes and the one-sentence paragraphs. They are just overloading your tiny query. Even without them, you have a really nice style. I also love em-dashes and short paragraphs, so I feel your pain; but you can't use too many in so few words.

​Great job! Could you please review my own query when you get a chance? Thanks! http://agentquerycon...-query-post-52/

#19 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

Actually, I have to say I also agree with Sataris, that your first line sounds very generic. I would consider moving it to give it more context: 

At forty-two, Jean de Clisson's perfect life—a loving husband, three boisterous kids, and two castles in the French countryside—shatters when Phillip VI, the King of France, arrests and beheads her husband for treachery. Now she is out for revenge.

I think that if you let us know who Jean is, and what happened to her, it's more meaningful when you write she is out for revenge. Because it's true that sooooo many books about a person being out for revenge.

#20 eric balson

eric balson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

NEW VERSION:

Dear agent,

Jeanne de Clisson is out for revenge. On first read, this seems like a great hook. When you think about more, it might work to your disadvantage simply because multiple stories have been written on revenge. If it were up to me, I'd start the query with the second paragraph, then mention she wants revenge. The second paragraph has a devestating touch to it, that's engaging and makes for a good opener.

To get justice, she’ll have to sell her castles, learn to captain a pirate fleet, and risk everything—including her life. But when the king finds her carefully hidden children and captures one of the few people Jeanne has left, iI don't think this part is neccessary. Her kids' lives being on the line are high stakes enough.t’s not just her life on the line anymore and Jeanne will have to decide whose justice is more important—the living or the dead?

Based on the true story of notorious female pirate Jeanne de Clisson, BURN IT TO THE GROUND is a 90,000-word historical thriller set in the 1300s in France and England. It’s a revenge tale a la COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO with a lady lead, a more diverse cast, and a commercial style.

[reason I’m querying].

Sincerely,

A couple of tweaks needed. You're almost there, IMO!

Hope this helps. Please take a look at my query here (post number #95):

http://agentquerycon...o-we-are/page-5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users