#1 mojicanpuertorican

mojicanpuertorican

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

A few weeks ago I got a like from a small publishing house called Burchette and Ferguson during PitMad. So, I checked out their website and liked how it looked and especially liked their book covers. It seemed higher quality than some other small publishing houses. Feeling more confident, I sent my manuscript to them in a PDF. format. Though, I've found on some sites that they were once another failed publishing house under another name. There's been weird stories about them floating around and now I'm a little panic-stricken. Has anyone heard of them or can confirm this? I don't want to sign anything that will destroy any chances of my book getting proper treatment. 

#2 Monsmord

Monsmord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

I can't say for sure, but a bit of Googling hasn't shed a very good light on them, or much at all.  They have nothing out.  Even their website seems iffy to me; some of the grammar strikes me as ESL (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless they're representing themselves otherwise), and reminds me of the better "spammer grammar".  Not what I expect from a would-be publisher of English prose, certainly not one touting signed deals with award-winning authors.  I wouldn't do business with them myself until they had proved themselves reputable and capable, FWIW.  And of course if they're charging you anything at all, well...

#3 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019.

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

From what I've read about them at reputable sites that discuss such things -- I would run fast and far. 

They have your mss, but that doesn't mean you have to have anything more to do with them. If they offer -- politely refuse. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users