#1 mojicanpuertorican

mojicanpuertorican

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

A few weeks ago I got a like from a small publishing house called Burchette and Ferguson during PitMad. So, I checked out their website and liked how it looked and especially liked their book covers. It seemed higher quality than some other small publishing houses. Feeling more confident, I sent my manuscript to them in a PDF. format. Though, I've found on some sites that they were once another failed publishing house under another name. There's been weird stories about them floating around and now I'm a little panic-stricken. Has anyone heard of them or can confirm this? I don't want to sign anything that will destroy any chances of my book getting proper treatment. 

#2 Monsmord

Monsmord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

I can't say for sure, but a bit of Googling hasn't shed a very good light on them, or much at all.  They have nothing out.  Even their website seems iffy to me; some of the grammar strikes me as ESL (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless they're representing themselves otherwise), and reminds me of the better "spammer grammar".  Not what I expect from a would-be publisher of English prose, certainly not one touting signed deals with award-winning authors.  I wouldn't do business with them myself until they had proved themselves reputable and capable, FWIW.  And of course if they're charging you anything at all, well...

#3 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019. Bks 4 & 5 in series under contract.

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

From what I've read about them at reputable sites that discuss such things -- I would run fast and far. 

They have your mss, but that doesn't mean you have to have anything more to do with them. If they offer -- politely refuse. 

#4 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

From what I've read about them at reputable sites that discuss such things -- I would run fast and far. 

They have your mss, but that doesn't mean you have to have anything more to do with them. If they offer -- politely refuse. 

Could you maybe send links to those reputable sites referring to this publisher because I'm sitting in the exact same boat. All I can say is that since I've been dealing with this publisher, a lot of work has been done on their website and the communication I've had so far has been professional. I can't really find anything negative about them. All I could find so far is the same question: are they genuine? So far to me nothing seems to say they aren't. All I know is they are new. And new doesn't mean bad. We all have to start somewhere. 

I also just stumbled over this twitter statement which to me seems genuine as well https://twitter.com/...854850783240192

Maybe the statement above explains all the negativity about them. I'm usually the first one having doubt about unknown publishers etc, and I had my doubts at first before I sent my requested material, but they've been very professional and I think they're genuine. I guess the future will tell.

Query:  10 DAY BETRAYAL

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

RABBIT 76 (NEW PROJECT)

Twitter: @tccorrey

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

FWIW, that twitter page no longer exists.

On its Twitter page, the company says it's launching this fall, so it either has no history or the people behind it need to be looked at individually.

Tread cautiously. If they offer you a contract, read it VERY carefully. It's better to not have a publisher than to have a bad publisher who owns all the rights to what you've written -- and possibly those you haven't written yet -- and doesn't compensate you fairly.

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:39 PM

And at least one reputable site would presumably include Absolute Write. Look this company up on that site, and you'll be reluctant to use the publisher.

#7 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:39 PM

that's interesting. I should have copied the content of the twitter page. It's strange it's been removed as it explained and disputed all the comments given on Absolute Write. However, I've been keeping a close eye on the 'movements' of the publisher and have also noticed that the website has been stripped again from the names involved. I do agree in the meantime that I'm also getting more and more suspicious about things. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt as I think everyone new in the business deserves a chance, but I'm not so sure anymore. I read somewhere on Twitter that the first book was planned to come out in the next holiday. I can only assume they're talking about the Christmas holiday. I guess we'll see what happens.

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

RABBIT 76 (NEW PROJECT)

#8 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:19 AM

Okay. Just found all those entries on Absolute Write and I'm glad I did. so much about benefit of the doubt which I wrote above. Now it's doubt doubt and Red Flag. I also noticed today that a whole lot more twitter entries suddenly vanished. Very strange.

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

RABBIT 76 (NEW PROJECT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users