smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

Dear AQCers:

I'm writing a book that involves a specific claim of sexual harassment. I need some information on how a company (in this case a bank, but any information would be good), would respond to the claim. I tried contacting HR at my own employer regarding a hypothetical scenario, but they said they are unable to assist. So I'm trying here, instead.

The scenario is as follows:

Judy's ex-boyfriend, Tom, hacks her work email account and uses it send a sex video to her boss. The video is sent during normal working hours at a time when Judy is at work and logged into her computer. Tom's motivation is to get Judy accused of sexual harassment and fired from her job. The hack job is very well done; in the end the bank concludes that Judy did send the email and she really is fired

My questions are:

1. Tom reports the incident to HR. Then what happens? Would there be a meeting with HR, Tom, and Judy? Just with HR and Judy?

2. When Judy is notified of the incident, she claims she is innocent. In my book, Judy is suspended with pay pending the outcome of the investigation, does that seem reasonable? Or would she be suspended without pay?

3. How would the bank investigate? Would they outsource the hacking issues to a security firm? To an in-house forensic computer analyst? The major question is whether Judy really did send the email or whether she was hacked (as she claims) -- although at the time she does know she was hacked or that it was Tom who did it .She just knows she didn't send the email.

4. Any idea how long the investigation would last? Would it be as thorough as, say, a police investigation? Of course Judy has the option of reporting the event as a criminal act to the police, but right now I'm just wondering how her employer would respond.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I'm a bit stuck in my writing until I get some details here.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users