• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:30 AM

Hello everyone!

I'd like some advise on the matter.

So, my new novel is MG, set in the Victorian era in an alternate universe USA -- Boy with amnesia works with a grumpy Inspector to bring down an underground boss who seeks to control the steam.

The society moves on steam, so imagine steam engines, cars, big clocks etc, but there are also hints of "magic" in the book (Only used in 3-4 occasions)

The book doesn't focus on the whole steam-magic system - rather I use these to drive the story forward. In 2 words it's more of a humorous adventure!

So, Sci-Fi / Steampunk / Speculative / Science Fantasy or something else?

Thank you in advance!

My query: http://agentquerycon...teampunksci-fi/

Let me know if you want me to look at yours. Will happily do so.

#2 A Fatalist Dawn

A Fatalist Dawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

If it had to be placed into one "box," I would say Steampunk. However, the inclusion of magic, however small, would also make it Science Fantasy. Your description of it as an adventure story further emphasizes the fantasy aspect.

Check out my poetry book, The Groundwork of Realization (2018).

#3 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:50 PM

There's also Gaslamp Fantasy (https://tvtropes.org.../GaslampFantasy), but it sounds like that has more magic than you have, and it's not quite as mainstream. Unless reading that link makes you think it's a perfect fit, I think you're probably safe with either Steampunk or Science Fantasy. And you can always change it back and forth depending on the desires of an agent. If you think multiple accurately fit your story, then match the marketing to fit the agent. Just make sure that your query fits the genre, so don't say it's a humorous adventure if you don't include any sort of humor in your query.

If you appreciated my feedback, I'd appreciate yours: Ouroboros

Please note I'm also posting on behalf of people who can't sign up, so if I provide a link in the main body of the post, make sure to reciprocate on that instead.

#4 Erevos

Erevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:54 AM

I see!!

Thank you both for your answers!!

Btw, I had never heard of Gaslamp Fantasy! Sounds awesome!

#5 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:26 PM

From an agent/editor point of view, genre really means "what shelf will it go on?"

Visit a few bookstores and see if there is a Steampunk shelf. If not, where are they shelving Steampunk books? That's your genre.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#6 Erevos

Erevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:16 PM

I went and did that! Steampunk was lumped with every other book in the fantasy genre in all the bookstores in my area...but I live in a small city so this sample probably isn't indicative :D I think I'll go with adjusting the genre from Steampunk to Sciene Fantasy or even maybe Sci-Fi depending on the agent! 

#7 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:02 PM

I wouldn't worry about it that much. 

At a dinner for SCBWI, I sat with 4 agents who started discussing query letters among themselves. Most of them said they skip straight to the sample. If they like that, they'd go back to the query letter to see if "the author can sell their own work." If you call it Steampunk, they'll know. Just don't call it "Drama" or "Quasi neo-micro-adult." Show you're professional, and you're good.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#8 Erevos

Erevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

Omg I laughed so much at that!

Thank you for the tip!

I wouldn't be surprised if this Quasi neo-micro-adult becomes a trend in a few years  :laugh:  

#9 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:12 PM

I'm hoping to trail blaze the new genre "semi-trans intellectual macro YA". It's going to be all the rage in a few years.

If you appreciated my feedback, I'd appreciate yours: Ouroboros

Please note I'm also posting on behalf of people who can't sign up, so if I provide a link in the main body of the post, make sure to reciprocate on that instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users