Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

IN GOD'S HOUSE - MOSTLY TRUE TALES FROM THE AFTERLIFE (Short Stories)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jo-

jo-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:My poetry has been published in Quills - a Canadian poetry anthology as well as in Existere.

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

I joined the group recently and have read everyone's query letters avidly. I don't feel I know enough yet to critique any and have been procrastinating posting my own but here goes....feedback gratefully welcomed!!

Dear Agent;

Adolf Hitler is about to walk through the pearly gates and God doesn't have a clue what to do with him.

God isn't that stern fellow sitting on a cloud that most of us were raised to believe in. IN GOD'S HOUSE - MOSTLY TRUE TALES FROM THE AFTERLIFE, God, like most CEO's, doesn't have enough hours in the day, or in his case, eternity to do everything he needs to do.

In my collection of humorous short stories, God mediates a roommate dispute between Al Capone and Alexander the Great and he smoothes William Shakespeare's ruffled feathers when fellow writers F. Scott Fitzgerald and Jane Austen dare to criticize his new play. He chats with Moses about some missing commandments and runs into Elvis Presley in the cafeteria and learns about the price of fame. God meets and talks to everyone from Sigmund Freud to Groucho Marx and along with his faithful mutt Frank, dispenses provocative wisdom and gives both the folks in heaven and here on earth some deep thoughts to ponder.

I have published poetry several times in the Canadian poetry anthology Quills as well as being short-listed for the "Tracking a Serial Poet" contest in the poetry magazine Lichen. I have also received an Honourable Mention for my poem "Saga of a Horny Bird" in Existere.

My professionally edited manuscript, IN GOD'S HOUSE - MOSTLY TRUE TALES FROM THE AFTERLIFE is complete at 50,000 words.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

#2 J. A. Stephens

J. A. Stephens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

Wow! What an awesome premise! You're hook is intriguing and the synopsis would have me wanting to request your MS. No suggestions here. Good Luck!
BTW don't be shy about giving advice. That's what we're here for. You can try mine if you like...The Propagation. :biggrin:

#3 Petal65

Petal65

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:YA/MG Author. Won some awards. Pissed off a few people. Repped by @bpoelle. PANDAS ON THE EASTSIDE from @orcabook 2016. ZERO REPEAT FOREVER from @simonteen 2017

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

I like this premise, but it is notoriously hard to get a collection of short stories published without having been published in that genre before. Why don't you try sending some of these stories to a journal or magazine?

READ MY BLOGS: www.angelhorn.com www.versenovels.com

ZERO REPEAT FOREVER Simon & Schuster August 2017zrf-tiny.jpg?w=116

Read WICKET SEASON, from Lorimer Books, March 2012
Add AUDACIOUS to you Goodreads Shelves. Coming from Orca Books, Fall 2013

"The highest duty of the writer, the composer, the artist is to remain true to himself and let the chips fall where they may." (John F. Kennedy)

#4 DHero

DHero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:;_;

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

I think the second paragraph could use a little tweaking. Like, something that makes God sound a little less tolerant of annoyances, or something about those annoyances wearing him down.

Looking at the situations in the main paragraph, mentioning a CEO with this style would make me think God's sending him to hell.

I think the concept is really, really cool, with lots of room for funny situations/ranting and such. If I saw this at a book store, I would probably pick it up.

#5 anne

anne

annequinn (mother's maiden name)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:two op-eds Hartford Courant; miscellaneous op-eds in local journals; two short stories and a couple poems in Long River Review; recepient of Jennie Hackman Memorial prize for short fiction two consecutive years. Most recent publication @ amazon.com a psychological thriller, The Sins of Dom (a novella) and They Think That I Am Somewhat

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

Novel In stories maybe? Might be a better market. Other than that, I am not so qualified to edit--sounds good to me.
GL

#6 wendywtw

wendywtw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

I think it sounds like a great read. It's also different. Your hook is also really effective.

#7 the transylvanian

the transylvanian

InTown Books

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am the founder of InTown Books, a boutique of fantasy, paranormal, mystery, and historical romance that is dedicated to publishing and promoting authors.

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

Great Query. Your title throw me off: I sincerely belived to have some sort of spritual motive. But beside having some more of my kind of reaction, the only suggestion I would make is not to mention that your manuscript is professionally edited: they are expecting to be. Best of luck to you.

Imagination is better than knowledge  - Einstein

http://www.intownbooks.net

www.the-transylvanians.com

#8 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:55 PM

Its been many years since I looked but these are the kind of stories that Fantasy and Science Fiction used to welcome. I don't know if that's the right market now, but why get paid twice and maybe build your audience? If you can shop the first one you can probably shop them one at at time

I don't remember the author or the name of the story but years ago there was a brilliant one in F&SF about God as a architect on commission who has to meet all the objections of the politically correct about creation. It would fit right with yours.

#9 jo-

jo-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:My poetry has been published in Quills - a Canadian poetry anthology as well as in Existere.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:22 PM

J.A. - Thanks for saying the hook is intriguing! I read somewhere that the hook should be one sentence to try and hook literary agents into reading the rest of the query - I'm hoping this one will do the trick!

Petal65 - I've thought of sending them out to magazines/journals and I still might do that. I'll do some research on magazines/journals to see what would be a good fit - thanks for the nudge!

DHero - You've got me thinking about that second paragraph - I'll take another look.

anne - I feel unqualified to do the editing thing as well - just wanted to say thanks for your comment.

wendywtw - Thanks for the comment.

the transylvanian - Hmm...I wondered if people would think it was a book with spiritual stuff in it and that's what I hoped my title would convey. What I tried to do was weave together humorous stories with spiritual lessons - I hope it works!

Tom - I have wondered about the fantasy genre for my stories - I'll have to do some research - thanks for the prompt.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment - it is greatly appreciated.

#10 Moonshade

Moonshade

Plague Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Urban Dragon series

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:26 AM

Dear Agent;

Adolf Hitler is about to walk through the pearly gates and God doesn't have a clue what to do with him. Why not?

God isn't that stern fellow sitting on a cloud that most of us were raised to believe in. IN GOD'S HOUSE - MOSTLY TRUE TALES FROM THE AFTERLIFE, God, like most CEO'sIs he a CEO? The way you describe him later on, I almost see him as a landlord, doesn't have enough hours in the day, or in his case, eternity to do everything he needs to do.

In my collection of humorous short stories, God mediates a roommate dispute between Al Capone and Alexander the Great and he smoothes William Shakespeare's ruffled feathers when fellow writers F. Scott Fitzgerald and Jane AustenThat's a ton of names right there. dare to criticize his new play. He chats with Moses about some missing commandments, and runs into Elvis Presley in the cafeteria and learns about the price of fame. God meets and talks to everyone from Sigmund Freud to Groucho Marx and along with his faithful mutt Frank, dispenses provocative wisdom and gives both the folks in heaven and here on earth some deep thoughts to ponder. This last line has me scratching my head on what the goal of this book is. Is it a work of fiction, or are the stories tailored to convey a specific message, a la "Chicken Soup for the Soul"?

I have published poetry several times in the Canadian poetry anthology Quills as well as being short-listed for the "Tracking a Serial Poet" contest in the poetry magazine Lichen. I have also received an Honourable Mention for my poem "Saga of a Horny Bird" in Existere.

My professionally edited manuscript, IN GOD'S HOUSE - MOSTLY TRUE TALES FROM THE AFTERLIFE is complete at 50,000 words.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Goodreads / Facebook / Twitter / Website

mark_zpsckzxw7vu.jpg  Potnia_zpsykuekifx.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users