3 replies to this topic

#1 kiremma

kiremma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:currently under contract as editor of a professional writing book

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:22 AM

Hi everyone -

I'm asking for some help with designing an illustrated book proposal.  I've written several books so far myself including via a literary agent, direct to publisher, and POD.  Most of my books have focused on an area of medicine in order to better educate affected consumers, so I am familiar with the traditional book proposal.  My situation is that now I am wanting to look at proposing a children's illustrated children's book after having talked with some administrators at my kids' school, and I am looking for help with the process.  I haven't gotten a clear picture of what to do from online sources, so I thought I'd turn here.  

I don't have an illustrator, and it seems that many publishers prefer to bring their own illustrator to the party.  Or do I go ahead and find an illustrator and commission them to complete the drawings up front?  Another thought is that perhaps I draft ideas of what I would like to see on each page in terms of matching a drawing with the text. 

As for the writing, do I simply write the text of my book (age target = 5-7 years) and include the full text in the proposal?  The total amount of text will be quite simple, probably no more than 300 words throughout the book.  And, there are no competing books in this topic so I don't know if I would need to include competing title in the proposal as well.  

Finally, is there a sample illustrated book proposal online somewhere that I'm missing?  I've looked through a lot of query pages but haven't found a good example.  If I just focus on the traditional parts of a proposal (background, previous works, marketing plan, etc.), I'm prepared to do that as well.

Thanks for any help you can give.  

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:43 PM

I don't know too much about publishing children's book, but since I don't think you're planning to be your own illustrator, you should just allow the publisher to find the illustrator. This blog post talks a bit about the illustration notes that you can send with your manuscript: http://bookendsliter...ture-book-text/ That's about the extent I can give you, but I hope it's at least a bit helpful.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:00 AM

Regarding illustrators, you're right that most publishers prefer to handle matching illustrator with story; at least that's my understanding.

What concerns me is you said there are no other competing titles. That's usually a bad thing. It can mean there's no market. I suggest opening up a bit on what you see as competition and in your proposal note why your book would be different and how it would address a need that the others aren't addressing.

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

Join the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators. scbwi.org

They can help you through the world of children's books.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users