jmarshburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:59 PM

Hello gang! 

I am hoping someone can help me with a bit of conundrum I'm having. About six years ago, I queried an agent about representing my first manuscript and it was rejected. Shortly after that, I reconsidered my choice to even publish, and stopped shopping the manuscript only 4 queries in. 

Now I am revisiting the idea of getting my manuscript published, and wonder whether it would be inappropriate to query that same agent again. I have not made any changes to the draft, but wondered that such a long gap might warrant a second try.

Thanks for any advice!

Jenn
http://writingsonwri....wordpress.com/

Becoming a writer is not a 'career decision' like becoming a doctor or a policeman. You don’t choose it so much as get chosen, and once you accept the fact that you’re not fit for anything else, you have to be prepared to walk a long, hard road for the rest of your days.' - Paul Auster

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:57 PM

I can't tell from what you've written here if the agent requested pages or just acknowledged that they were rejecting you. Either way, it's doubtful that they'll be too interested. If they requested pages, then your MS is still going to have the exact same things that disinterested them the first time, and if they didn't request anything, then they're probably still not interested. The only reason I could say requerying could have a shot is if they never read pages and just rejected based off the query, and you're coming back with a much better query, but even then... odds are low. The good news: there are so many agents out there, so rather than concern yourself about this one agent, just make sure your MS and query are as good as possible (if you haven't already, post your query on the critique board for feedback; and I've had a lot of success with the wanted ads for finding some good critique partners), and then you can dive into the whole query process anew.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

I'd also recommend you give your manuscript a thorough read. You may be amazed at what you find years later.

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:40 PM

What they said.

To put it in perspective, I sent out 102 (or 120, I don't remember) query letters before landing my agent - and I didn't get her from a query, but from a pitch festival. She hated my query letter.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users