#1 weasel

weasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:41 AM

querying is more work than the writing project itself so we'll save that for later

#2 Koechophe

Koechophe

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

Heya, welcome to AQC! Before I can give you an in-depth critique, there's a few issues that need to be addressed.

First and foremost, I would recommend doing a lot more research into how queries are supposed to look and how they can be done correctly. Please see this resource and read it thoroughly: http://agentquerycon...a-query-letter/

Another resource that you will want to look at is queryshark.blogspot.com. Read through the archives, see the mistakes, and learn from them. It will change the way you look at querying your novel. 

Here are some things that we need to know in order to critique better:

1) Genre (there's some confusion here as to whether this is a memoir, or if it's a work of fiction). You call it a memoir, but do so from 1st person, and you also start with an event that happened more than 20 years ago. 

2) Is this a query letter or a book proposal? (there is a massive, massive difference between how we deal with each of those)

3) How long is the book?

Research a lot, lot more than you currently have, let us know more of what you're actually trying to query, and try again. You'll get more replies and help when you make more of an effort to research and understand what you're trying to do. 

#3 weasel

weasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

hi - thanks for the feedback

i had meant to post this in the hook critique forum so I'm going repost and kill this thread

1. it is a memoir

2. I meant it as a hook

3. i'm shooting for 55k words

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Non-Fiction, Crime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users