Erevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some comps for my novel. You can find the query in my signature below, but here is a short description I wrote when asking for Genre.

"My new novel is MG, set in the Victorian era in an alternate universe USA -- Boy with amnesia works with a grumpy Inspector to bring down an underground boss who seeks to control the steam.

The society moves on steam, so imagine steam engines, cars, big clocks etc, but there are also hints of "magic" in the book (Only used in 3-4 occasions)

The book doesn't focus on the whole steam-magic system - rather I use these to drive the story forward. In 2 words it's more of a humorous adventure!"

Basically it's something between Sci-Fi / Steampunk / Science Fantasy.

I have The Golden Compass, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, and Castle in The Sky as temporary comps, but all 3 are kind of old, so I'm not sure they'll work.

I've been looking at some of the newest books, but since I haven't read any of them I can't tell if they are a good fit.

Any help?

My query: http://agentquerycon...teampunksci-fi/

Let me know if you want me to look at yours. Will happily do so.

#2 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Rep: BookEnds Literary Agency

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:17 PM

My best advice for you is to check with CPs/betas who are well read in MG speculative fiction (specifically sci-fi/steampunk/science fantasy), and to read around. You could check with MG book reviewers for recommendations. Check Goodreads lists.

#3 Erevos

Erevos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:29 PM

Thx for the tips!! I usually have a hard time with comps since most ppl say that you must use books published within 2-3 years. Though, truth be told I've seen people use books/movies from 10 years ago without any issues!

My query: http://agentquerycon...teampunksci-fi/

Let me know if you want me to look at yours. Will happily do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users