#1 mojicanpuertorican

mojicanpuertorican

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:14 AM

The term seems pretty broad. I have what I consider to be a paranormal mystery novel and an agent I see is accepting mystery and speculative fiction. I don't want to make it seem like genre mixing, so I'm wondering what I should throw it to her as. Is it better to say paranormal mystery or just use the broad term "speculative fiction"? I know agents want concise definitions, so I'm wondering what I should go with.

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of traditional mysteries:
    The Blue Ridge Library Mystery series w/ Crooked Lane Books - bks 1, 2, & 3 out now, bk 4 Jan. 2020, bk 5 Jan. 2021.
    Booklovers B&B series w/ Crooked Lane - 1st book June 2020. 2nd bk. June 2021.

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

There are many paranormal mysteries, in both the traditional and cozy mystery subgenres. In fact, I've noticed that cozy mysteries that feature paranormal aspects (esp. witches and ghosts) seem very popular at the moment.

When I hear speculative fiction, I think of a wide variety of fantasy (including urban fantasy) and scifi. But NOT mystery. So I guess it depends upon the major emphasis of your book -- is the focus on the mystery aspects, but you have paranormal aspects? Then go with mystery. (You can say paranormal mystery, or just reference the paranormal aspects in your query).

I would only call it speculative fiction if the focus of the book is on scifi or fantasy -- that can be interpreted broadly, but usually doesn't include a strong mystery focused plot.

I hope that helps! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users