#1 AstrMikeDexter

AstrMikeDexter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:28 AM

I'm unsure how I want to query my novel. Here's a version of the query for your information. I've changed it since then but this will give an idea of the story.

Fantasy seems too big of a term for it because most of the story is about the mother and daughter. Superhero, maybe? But then finding an agent who would give time to a superhero novel doesn't seem easy. I've considered speculative fiction, but is it really?

Maybe I'm thinking too much about it. Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, and for the record, I've changed the title. I will be querying it as "Forgotten Monsters" for the time being.

Any help with my query would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

I'd argue that urban fantasy might be a valid genre for you. We often think of it as having specifically to do with vampires and demons, etc, but as discussed by TV Tropes, it's just "...throwing fantasy elements into more modern, urban societies", which often are "...showing the impact of modern society on the fantasy elements included in it". From what you describe of your story, I think that fits the bill. You probably also can use superhero fantasy as a genre, although I understand why you are concerned that might give agents the wrong associations; remember, though, that even the mainstream superhero genre can encompass more that Iron Man and Batman, as we've got the new movie Glass coming out, it's predecessor Unbreakable, and other films like Chronicle that show the superhero genre on a much smaller scale, much more similar to what you're doing with your book.

Please note I'm also posting on behalf of people who can't sign up, so if I provide a link in the main body of the post, make sure to reciprocate on that thread.

#3 AstrMikeDexter

AstrMikeDexter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for the response. I'd considered urban fantasy but when I looked into it, you're right, I saw a lot of stuff dealing with vampires and demons. Looking into it further, I think it could fit. I'll probably use that unless an agent expresses some interest in superheroes.

Any help with my query would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users