#1 A Fatalist Dawn

A Fatalist Dawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

It's technically dark fantasy, but reads much more like horror, with aspects that will appeal to that sort of readership. Looking for a title that will appeal to horror readers, especially those interested in survival horror. That, and I think I will have more luck marketing it as horror. Looking for suggestions, but here's what I have so far:

• The Curse of the Revenants
  • The Harvest Moon Chronicles

Check out my poetry book, The Groundwork of Realization (2018).

#2 Monsmord

Monsmord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:My most recent flash fiction has been published in the Newfoundland Quarterly and Kit Sora's "The Artobiography."

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

The word "chronicles" (as opposed to "chronicle" singular) suggests a series of books, or a set of distinct but related works within the book (an anthology, communal narrative, related novellas, etc.).  I like this title in principle, assuming that a harvest moon is somehow integral to the story (even metaphorically).  Still, it's not very revealing of the tone or content of the book, and doesn't suggest to me a survival horror vibe, or even a particularly fantastic element.  I might give the title a pass were I scanning a page of random recommendations on Amazon or such (and maybe even in a brick-and-mortar store).

The Curse title seems to me a little old-school, pulpy, or like a B-Movie title from decades ago.  Which I happen to dig, but I couldn't say how many others would take it seriously, and it's not very suggestive of its dark fantasy nature per se.  If you go this route, it would almost certainly find its way into a horror bucket.  Maybe that's good?

#3 A Fatalist Dawn

A Fatalist Dawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the input. This is incredibly helpful. Knowing which bucket it can be placed in is driving me nuts.

Check out my poetry book, The Groundwork of Realization (2018).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users