1 reply to this topic

#1 TessCorvina

TessCorvina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:In 2008, I wrote a novel without knowing how to write a book. Luckily, I met an editor who was willing to work with me. I also didn't know much about the publishing industry, so I self-published my first novel which didn't turn out well. From then on, I've learned and grown a lot as a writer. In 2016, my agent passed away, and I'm currently struggling to find someone who can be as patient as her. But hopefully, I will push through and get my stories published traditionally soon.

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:21 AM

I don't remember when I became a member here, but it should be a couple of years ago. I prominently write paranormal romance, YA, and Fantasy. I wrote my first novel in 2008 when I didn't know how to do it. I sent a manuscript to an editor who painted every page I sent her red because I didn't even know what a POV was. But gladly, the agent like my story so she kept working with me to see what the heck was going on. I did learn a lot, and from then I wrote another 3 books. My agent passed away in 2016, and currently, I'm struggling to trust my voices.

I'm self-editing a book right now, and it's a daunting task. A lot of time, I feel like I want to give up and go open a cafe or something. But I do love my stories and the world I've created for them. I don't know if any of you have gone through a phase where you feel like you don't have enough time or resource to do whatever you want to do to push your dreams forward. I feel like that a lot lately, so I'm coming here to find inspiration and motivation. Perhaps someone who was in my place once made it and can give me a hint.

Tess

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

Wow, yours is a rare story!

I'm sorry your agent passed away, but I'm sure you've learned a lot from that experience. It is valuable.

Not enough time? You've made me chuckle :-)

My primary writing and editing time is during my train ride home after work. You'll find that the vast majority of us struggle with time, with discipline, and most certainly with self-doubt.

I know from friends who've had books published that the self-doubt doesn't necessarily go away; it changes form. For those who've had multiple books published, the fear about being able to complete a novel might abate, but the doubt about building and maintaining an audience only grows.

Writing is not for those who are afraid of being afraid. But if you keep at it, you'll mine gold for yourself while entertaining your audience. Glad you came back to the site and I hope you're able to continue to learn and help other writers learn. Sharing is invaluable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users