#1 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:02 PM

Hello all, not quite a guppie, but I have a guppie level question. I've self published a few non-fiction books to reasonably moderate success -as self publishing goes-, and I was considering setting up an author website in the near future. In part, because many agents and publishers are curious to hear about social media and web presence. That being said I've seen several authors who post the first chapter of their books as a 'preview' on their author websites. Which, if I end up self publishing my fiction works would be helpful.

However, is there any industry standard, which would lessen the chances of nabbing an agent if the first chapter of a book I'm querying is online on my author webpage? 

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of a five book cozy mystery series -- the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series -- with Crooked Lane Books. Books one, two, and three out now, book four out Jan. 2020. New mystery series -- the Booklovers B&B series -- contracted with Crooked Lane for future publication.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:01 AM

I wouldn't put up a full chapter of a book I was querying. I know authors can often put up a full first chapter AFTER they get a deal (as promotion for a book coming out soon, etc.) but I personally would NOT do this while querying. 

#3 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:49 AM

I wouldn't put up a full chapter of a book I was querying. I know authors can often put up a full first chapter AFTER they get a deal (as promotion for a book coming out soon, etc.) but I personally would NOT do this while querying. 

Wonderful, thanks for the answer!

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:55 PM

I have a web page that, as far as I know, no one has visited. I think Facebook pages are just as good, and free.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users