lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:35 PM

(This is a post on behalf of "Paul Lamb", who can't sign up for the site.)

My novel has 23 chapters. I have had ten of these chapters published as stand-alone stories in various literary magazines. Does this help or hurt my chances to find representation for the novel? Should I continue to submit individual chapters for publication? Or is there a certain maximum percentage of the manuscript that should appear in print before the entire novel becomes no longer viable for agent representation? What is an agent's perspective on this? Is there a standard or a conventional wisdom about it?

If you appreciated my feedback, I'd appreciate yours: Ouroboros

Please note I'm also posting on behalf of people who can't sign up, so if I provide a link in the main body of the post, make sure to reciprocate on that instead.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:22 AM

That's an interesting question.

First, I'd say "bravo!" for getting so many chapters published as stories; that's not easy.

Personally, I would use that in the query. If the "stories" have been published in multiple publications, I think that says something, too. But I'd say "several of the chapters have been published as standalone stories in modified form."

It's not unheard of at all for large chunks of novel to be published separately. I know the Antarctica section of Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay was separately published, but he had a book deal already. I believe John Irving had large chunks of story published too.

I'd be interested to hear what others think on this topic.

#3 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

I've often wondered about this myself, whether it's worth it to try and publish standalone chapters or stories related to an unpublished novel, so I'm also curious. I've never tried, however, so I'm afraid I don't have an experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users