Disclaimer

Photo

Out of loop: What happened to this site?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

The query critique section's awfully quiet. I saw a member posting on behalf of others. This is not the vibrant place I remember it to be. 

I've been away from this site for long, so I would really appreciate it if someone could give me an update. 

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:19 PM

The registration captcha has been broken since last June. We haven't had any new members in a year. We've tried to contact admins, but no dice. That's why I'm posting on behalf of others, to at least try to give others a chance for critiques and to try and keep this place alive. But, yeah, some days it feels like a losing battle.

Please note I'm also posting on behalf of people who can't sign up, so if I provide a link in the main body of the post, make sure to reciprocate on that thread.

I've got 250 words I'd love your feedback on: Untitled fantasy project

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,927 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

At the moment, it seems our best hope of having the community you remember is by providing it ourselves.

Yes, it's better if we have new blood, but as lnloft said, we've not had new blood.

So welcome back, Ajax. We need you to be you!

#4 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

Thank you for the update. I've reached out to four moderators regarding this. I will share the replies in this thread. 

#5 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:41 PM

"Unfortunately I can’t do more than delete and merge posts/threads on the site. This is something @agentquery would need to fix. I’m sorry there have been issues." - Jean Oram, moderator 

The account @agentquery (of 'AQCrew', the admin) hasn't been active since 2015. 

#6 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

A tech expert told me to not enter my password into this site as it can be stolen. The admin's hosting the site on AWS. GoDaddy is the domain holder. They've suggested to write to them at abuse@godaddy.com. 

Seems like our best hope are the mods who might know the admin or how to reach them. 

Because of the safety issue, I'd suggest everyone to use reddit sub r/PubTips (www.reddit.com/r/PubTips/) instead which is great for query critique and all the publishing related questions. 

#7 SimonLee

SimonLee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:43 PM

The registration captcha has been broken since last June. We haven't had any new members in a year. We've tried to contact admins, but no dice. That's why I'm posting on behalf of others, to at least try to give others a chance for critiques and to try and keep this place alive. But, yeah, some days it feels like a losing battle.

That's too bad. This is really a great, supportive community. I hope it gets fixed soon!

#8 jpfranco

jpfranco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None as of yet

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

Wow, no wonder none of the fb people I've sent here have showed up. What gives? Where are the admins? 

#9 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:17 PM

I was away for a while, too, and then returned.  I was surprised as hell to find this place on life support.  I suggested a friend sign up, unaware of the issues.  There has to be something GoDaddy can do?  Hell, I'd be happy to moderate if we can get the issues fixed...see if we can get some new folks signed up.  I love AQC and don't want to see it fail.

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...-urban-fantasy/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#10 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,927 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:10 AM

Honestly, I don't know for certain what will become of our beloved AQC. The admins have not been on the site for a while as far as I can tell. I don't know anything about the background tech issues and don't think any moderator has access to that.

FWIW, I've not sent people here for months now as there appears to be no way to sign new folks up.

LNLOFT and I have posted questions from authors interested in accessing the active minds of our members. I don't think that's a long-term solution.

#11 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,927 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

I shall post this in a few places, so my apologies if you see this more than once.

As many of you have noted over the past several months, the capcha issue has led the site to be unable to sign up new members.

New members are the lifeblood of a site like this, where we all pitch in to help each other, whether it's improve our queries, improve our synopses, improve our writing over all, or simply to feel better about ourselves as part of a writing community.

Well, we're going to try to improve our situation.

CM Fick (Cas) has launched a new site: Query Connection. https://queryconnect...queryconnection

The idea is similar to AQC, but it is not affiliated with AQC.

Authors will be able to work on their queries together. Offer constructive critique of a query, of an idea, of an approach. Do it in an appropriate way, as we always strive to do here.

I have agreed to be one of the moderators at the new site, and RS Mellette also is considering it, so we'll have some AQC DNA shaping how the new site.

Like AQC, it will not cost anything; the only "price" is sharing your perspective on queries as others share theirs with you on yours. Good karma, as they say. Bad apples can be banned; there's a code of conduct.

Currently, it's on a Wix site. I personally am not familiar with the intricacies of Wix sites (I use Word Press for my site), so I can't answer any tech questions about that. If the site blossoms, perhaps Cas will decide to move it to a different platform. That's a discussion for another day.

The new site was made with folks like us in mind -- AQCers. I hope we can all make it a good home. We'll keep the place clean, spruce up the landscaping, perhaps plant a nice tree in the front and watch it grow strong.

I hope you'll join us and help us grow the site together.

For what it's worth, I will continue to visit here as often as I already do. This is my favorite writing community, and I"ve made my best writing friends here. As the poet Thomas Kinsella wrote: "I won't say good bye until I know she's dead."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users