Bret1964

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

Dear ________,

I am seeking representation for my YA fantasy novel, A Season of Abundance complete at 113,000 words.  (Here I will add information specific to why I am querying this particular agent.)

When a young whale hears the call of a legendary seashell, he vows to find it and use its power to save his family.

Ashtal – a Pacific gray whale, lives in a world shattered by relentless noise. As giant steel ships plow back and forth across the ocean, their roaring engines overpower every other sound in the water. For the whales that depend on their hearing to survive, the noise threatens to destroy their way of life.

When Ashtal learns of the Queller, a giant shell that holds the power to silence the noise, he follows its call. But hope comes at a price – straying off the migration route puts Ashtal at risk of missing the feeding season.

At the start of his journey, Ashtal is attacked by a pack of predators. A killer whale named Ross charges in to save his life. Ross doesn't know that killer whales are the natural enemy of gray whales. He has only known human captivity – until he was kidnapped by animal rights activists who released him into the wild. With no skills to feed himself, Ross faces starvation. The unlikely pair strike a deal – Ashtal agrees to show Ross how to survive the open ocean, in return Ross provides protection as they seek the Queller. Their search leads them to the last place any whale should go – up a river where they will either find salvation from the noise. . . or die chasing after a myth.

A SEASON OF ABUNDANCE is a stand-alone novel, with potential as a series. I would be happy to send a full or partial manuscript on request.

Thank you for your time and attention,

#2 lionspaws

lionspaws

lionspaws

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Won 2nd place in the Reading Rainbow contest (all gotta start somewhere, right?)

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

Hi there! A couple quick thoughts. Have you checked typical word counts for YA fantasy? I could be wrong but 113,000 seems pretty steep to me. As someone who reads a lot of YA fantasy, I'm also not sure that this fits the genre; I wonder if middle grade would be a better fit? Anybody else with more genre expertise than me, chime in. 

http://agentquerycon...sail-the-stars/

http://agentquerycon...ique-in-return/

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain 

"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Adventure, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Young Adult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users