#1 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,911 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

This post comes from a European author who's unable to get through the Captcha issues the site continues to have, so I offered to post it.

I may post this in a couple places, because there's very little activity in the Nonfiction area that some folks might not even see it.

From Helder:

I have a non-fiction book published by a publisher in my country (in Europe) in our native non-english language. We have a contract that lasts for 3 years more that states that, if a foreign publisher gets interested in publishing my work (translated into english), then my local publisher has to negotiate with it. I was debating whether I self-publish (I can do that, as that does not violate my contract), or whether I send the manuscript to Literary Agents in the US to try to publish traditionally with a publisher. But the thing is that I think most agents would not be interested, once they know that I still have a contract with my local publisher, and so it wouldn't be so comercially appealing for the parties involved (namely the american publisher and the agent). Am I correct in this assertion?

In the meantime I am leaning towards self-publishing anyway because of this, but I still would be very grateful to hear people's feedback, especially if anyone had experience publishing their translated work in the US or the UK.

In essence, Helder is looking for feedback from others here at AQC....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users