#1 lionspaws

lionspaws

lionspaws

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Won 2nd place in the Reading Rainbow contest (all gotta start somewhere, right?)

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

I posted this in a couple forums because I wasn't sure of the best fit... 

Hi all, 

I sent out about ten queries for my manuscript, and stopped after one agent offered a revise & resubmit. I'm working on those revisions for her. However, one of the other agents I previously queried just responded requesting a full. Should I send it to her but also tell her I'm working on revisions? Not sure how to handle. 

http://agentquerycon...sail-the-stars/

http://agentquerycon...ique-in-return/

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain 

"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton 

#2 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

If you like the notes from the first agent, make the revisions and send that - without comment. If you feel good about your original, send that. Don't say you're working on revisions. 

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#3 lionspaws

lionspaws

lionspaws

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Won 2nd place in the Reading Rainbow contest (all gotta start somewhere, right?)

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:46 PM

If you like the notes from the first agent, make the revisions and send that - without comment. If you feel good about your original, send that. Don't say you're working on revisions. 

But how soon does an agent typically expect the manuscript, once they've requested it? It may be a couple months before my edited version is ready. 

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain 

"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton 

#4 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

I remember someone writing about being in a similar boat as you. They said they told the new agent that they had received some new feedback and were changing a few things, and asked for a couple months to get back to them. That agent graciously gave them the chance. I don't know what happened beyond that. That's also just one agent, though, and it's hard to say what others might do. If you do request a bit of time, though, give yourself and them a clear deadline and then stick to it. And be aware that your edits might take longer than you think. I got a rejection with an invitation to resend over a year ago, and I'll only get back to querying within the next couple of weeks. It's taken me that long to make the revisions. So, I guess the best real advice I can give is know your own revision habits, and to the best you're able know the agent. If you haven't already, find them on querytracker.net and see what others have said about them. Maybe their responses will give you an idea if it's safer to ask for an extension, just stay mute and send it later, or just send what you have now. Good luck.

Please note I'm also posting on behalf of people who can't sign up, so if I provide a link in the main body of the post, make sure to reciprocate on that thread.

#5 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

In this business a month is like a day - but if you want to send the revised version, you could certainly send a quick note that says something to the effect of "I just started saw something that needs fixing. I'll get this to you in 8 weeks." 

Always make sure to reply to the e-mail chain so if they forget you, they can see the history of the conversation.

The main thing to remember is - the agent wants your book to thrill them! They are on your side. They want a book to fall in love with - because they are going to have to work on it, for free, for a long time. So be nice to them and they'll be nice to you.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#6 lionspaws

lionspaws

lionspaws

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

In this business a month is like a day - but if you want to send the revised version, you could certainly send a quick note that says something to the effect of "I just started saw something that needs fixing. I'll get this to you in 8 weeks." 

Always make sure to reply to the e-mail chain so if they forget you, they can see the history of the conversation.

The main thing to remember is - the agent wants your book to thrill them! They are on your side. They want a book to fall in love with - because they are going to have to work on it, for free, for a long time. So be nice to them and they'll be nice to you.

Okay, thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users