1 reply to this topic

#1 PaulaH

PaulaH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published two books.

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

I'm looking to swap stories for a detailed critique of my story, HEAT. 

It's a comedic parody of a Jack Reacher type book and clocks in at 70K words. 

The story follows Pete Strong, a retired CIA agent who's always thought of himself as a simple guy with simple taste. Strong likes his steak rare, his nettle tea cold, and his women blonde. He also likes leaving the past in the past.

But when Strong’s previous life as a CIA operative turns up on the doorstep of his favorite bar in the form of a Private Investigator named Lucy Leopard, Strong’s hopes for a quiet retirement are shattered.

Lucy insists that an important client of hers is desperate for Strong’s protection and within hours, he finds himself dodging bullets and disarming haircuts in slick suits.

As Strong returns to a lifestyle he thought he’d left behind, he comes face-to-face with his own past and with questions about his background. While working to reveal why Lucy’s client is being hunted, Strong inadvertently learns more about his deepest emotions. 

A trip to the other side of the country and a confrontation with one of the most manipulative criminals he’s ever encountered lead Strong to a self-discovery that changes him forever. No longer can he think of himself as a “simple guy.”

HEAT is the first book in the "Pete Strong Series."

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,911 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

Sounds fun. I wish I had time for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users