lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

Ugh. So, a year ago, I got a rejection on a full from an agent, but with an invitation to revise and resend. So I've spent the past year revising, and tonight I decided I was finally ready to jump back into the query pool. And I go to look up this agent, and... she's gone. I can barely find a trace that she ever existed. There's no mention of her leaving her previous agency. Her profile is gone from Query Tracker. Her Twitter seems to be AWOL. The best I can find is a site that archived her genre preferences, but that just has a note that as of last October you can't submit to her anymore. And obviously an agent who disappears off the face of the earth is not the ideal agent, but... I liked her. She seemed really nice. And I've spent the past year planning how I would resubmit, and how she would take another look at my MS and this time go all in. And now I'm back to square one with no idea if any agents will bite. Obviously, I'm querying other agents, but, yeah, that wasn't how I was expecting things to go. Not expecting any solutions (because what solutions are there other than "query other agents"?), but just felt the need to vent a bit.

Bugger. Well, fingers crossed that my revamped query and tightened first pages will get some bites.

Please note I'm also posting on behalf of people who can't sign up, so if I provide a link in the main body of the post, make sure to reciprocate on that thread.

I've got 250 words I'd love your feedback on: Untitled fantasy project

#2 Monsmord

Monsmord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:My most recent flash fiction has been published in the Newfoundland Quarterly and Kit Sora's "The Artobiography."

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

Well that sucks. Best of luck - hope the revisions make the next one faster and easier.

#3 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:21 PM

Thanks. I'm trying to tell myself that I actually dodged a bullet, because it would have REALLY sucked to have had her take me on as a client last summer only for her to leave the business a few months later. But I'd still rather have had her just be available for a resubmission.

Ah, well. What's a little more suffering in the life of an unpublished author?

Please note I'm also posting on behalf of people who can't sign up, so if I provide a link in the main body of the post, make sure to reciprocate on that thread.

I've got 250 words I'd love your feedback on: Untitled fantasy project

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:11 PM

You probably did dodge a bullet. If nothing else, take from the experience knowledge that you had at least attracted her attention. Use that on the new quest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users