#21 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

"Thanks." Rats! She was going to be nice.

#22 bkeats

bkeats

How like them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Not published yet.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

From an old short story...

"I'll be there in a minute!" I yelled, and yanked sharply on the toilet paper roll, sending a long and steady stream of paper shooting down to the floor. Fortunately, the cat's litter box prevented the TP from contacting my undoubtedly unsanitary bathroom floor. I choked off an obscenity while wadding up the paper loop, knocking the excess grit off of it and taking care of business.

In retrospect, I had severely underestimated the ability of Charmin to retain hidden granules of cat litter within its folds.

You learn new things from your ass every day.

#23 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

From an old short story...

"I'll be there in a minute!" I yelled, and yanked sharply on the toilet paper roll, sending a long and steady stream of paper shooting down to the floor. Fortunately, the cat's litter box prevented the TP from contacting my undoubtedly unsanitary bathroom floor. I choked off an obscenity while wadding up the paper loop, knocking the excess grit off of it and taking care of business.

In retrospect, I had severely underestimated the ability of Charmin to retain hidden granules of cat litter within its folds.

Here's the thing about this exercise - the set-up is critical to the punch line!
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#24 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES to be published by Albury Books November 1, 2013.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

One of the female elves stood behind Sarnait rubbing his shoulders while the other two sat on either side of him. The scene reminded me of a Mexican beer commercial. However, I didn’t find the elf all that interesting.

#25 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

Here's the thing about this exercise - the set-up is critical to the punch line!

Ah, but there's an interesting point. Shouldn't a great line stand alone? Is that possible? Have you read those lines that jump out like an old saying, when in fact, you just wrote it? Or those lines where people say, "I'm going to have to remember that one."

#26 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

Ah, but there's an interesting point. Shouldn't a great line stand alone? Is that possible? Have you read those lines that jump out like an old saying, when in fact, you just wrote it? Or those lines where people say, "I'm going to have to remember that one."

Perhaps so. Maybe BK's line doesn't need a set up.

I think we're going to need a bigger boat.

What kind of pie?

Do I amuse you?

Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#27 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

I debated whether to place this under "Favorite Zinger" or here. It's not so much a zinger and it's more than a line, but I personally love this section:

From Heaven Help Me - a conversation between two angels:

"What’s wrong now, Jillian?"
"Tell me what Damien the Devil-in-Training’s up to Gabe?"
"You don’t want to know."
"Sarcasm again Gabe?"
Curiously, he asked, "Why would you want to know what Damien is doing?"
"Because the vestal virgins over here are boring me to tears. Besides, I’m getting nowhere with them on a personal level, and as for business, they’re not getting any closer to
finding out who killed me and why either. I’m frustrated as hell!"
"There’s that word again, Jillian," he warned. "Well, if you haven’t been able to get through to Nicole, perhaps you should switch to Jake for a while."
"I did. How do you think ‘the kiss’ finally happened? You don’t think either one of the seminary twins would have ever taken it that far without a push do you?"

#28 Candyland

Candyland

Fairiequeen

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

My heart fell and the feeling of having lost something I never had, overwhelmed me.

#29 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Insert Penny Avatar)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published "Genocide to Genesis"

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

From my fanfic, featuring a character apologizing for freaking out after finding out his lover drinks blood:

"I might be sleeping next to the damned, but you've been sleeping next to a damned fool all this time."
g2g.jpg

Author of Genocide to Genesis
Author-in-Progress Blog: [here]

#30 Tessa

Tessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

My heart fell and the feeling of having lost something I never had overwhelmed me.

That is good (though you need a comma)

#31 Candyland

Candyland

Fairiequeen

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

Thank you Tessa! (And I did insert the comma.) :happy:

#32 jdenker

jdenker

Incurable Optimist And Hopeless Romantic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Three-ebook deal with Kensington; books published/publishing 5/16/13, 8/1/13, and 11/21/13.

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

I just happened across this tidbit today:

“We’ll work on it,” Wilma cut her off, and Emmie knew that he had no intention of creating either craft corners or cabinets for chunky plastic squeezy toys and blocks and stuffed animals. As he so often pointed out, Wilma considered his designs to be works of art. And an artist of his caliber did not make concessions for bourgeois hobbies like scrapbooking or having babies.
As the great philosopher J. Clarkson has so often said, "How hard can it be?"
Hey, somebody read my blog, whydoncha? It's gonna start growing mold otherwise...

#33 BlackRose

BlackRose

Romantically Inclined

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Does my small town college annual anthology count?

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

This is from a short I'm working on. The speaker is Echo speaking to a Vampire she just chased down through a cow pasture while wearing her Prada boots.

"You see, the problem is we wasted our good nature on trying to entertain you at the club, got you a lap dance, a few drinks and were going to just talk to you. You decided to make me leave and chase you through these mounds of shit. For the record, if I had known you would run, I would have worn my tragically dirty steel toes and been done with it. I mean really, what are work boots for?"
Have a minute? Visit me at my blog: My link

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E.L. Doctorow

#34 the transylvanian

the transylvanian

Writing as Camilia Crandell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My paranormal romance THE TRANSYLVANIANS, was picked up by a publisher and it's set to be release in the summer of 2014.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

This is from my first book - a regency romance.

"I could not believe that I was in the presence of the Duke of Winchester himself, the person with whom I already had so much admiration. Meeting his eyes again, I felt embarrassed. I felt that my dress was too revealing, my hair was too loose, and my whole attire was nothing more than cheap elegance. But he did not take his eyes off of me."

Imagination is better than knowledge  - Einstein

#35 bkeats

bkeats

How like them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Not published yet.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

Angela couldn't look away as Roy's hands- his bare hands, his naked fingers- moved slowly up and down the blade. Caressing it.
For the first time, the boy's face took on a peaceful look. His eyes half-closed, he took a deep breath. "And you know what they say about grown-ups, don't you?" he murmured. "The bigger they are-"
"Yeah, I know," Angela cut him off, not wanting to hear any more. "The harder they fall."
But Roy shook his head. A lazy smile tugged at his lips. "No," he said softly. "The louder they scream."

"

#36 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

Dr. Anton Menaus, the 47-year-old professor of quantum physics Dr. Weston had called, arrived shortly after his cologne.

#37 Josh L

Josh L

My recommendation is essentially a guarantee.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:ETCHED IN SOUL AND SKIN - May 2013

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

Just about anything this character said made me jump with joy as I put it on the page.

“And now that we’re friends,” he continued, “Let me introduce myself. My name is Olin and I’m a pirate.”

And some time later:

“I hope you know I’m not a bad man, just a bit desperate. You see, my shuttle broke down after our last excursion to the surface and I need a replacement part only you military types have.”

Erik’s eyes narrowed. “Is that why you kept me alive? So you can force me to tell you where you can get spare parts?”

“That’s about the entirety of my plan, yes.”

bzdSmSO.jpg  The Sky Demons are coming...

You will not find insight here.

#38 BlackRose

BlackRose

Romantically Inclined

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Does my small town college annual anthology count?

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

Dr. Anton Menaus, the 47-year-old professor of quantum physics Dr. Weston had called, arrived shortly after his cologne.

I love that line. I had to lol at that one and thats bad since I am currently in class.
Have a minute? Visit me at my blog: My link

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E.L. Doctorow

#39 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES to be published by Albury Books November 1, 2013.

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

I didn’t bear Harley from the labor of my own body, but she was my child through the labor of my heart, and the enormity of my love for her had just crowned.

#40 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

I love that line. I had to lol at that one and thats bad since I am currently in class.

I hope I didn't get you in trouble... but when the book comes out I want you to tell everyone what you were laughing at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users