Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

You Tell US... We're Listening

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Poll: Admins Checking In Our Most Important Group and Members (153 member(s) have cast votes)

How Are You All Feeling About The Feedback You're Giving and Receiving?

1. School of Hard Knox -- but ultimately helpful and fun (60 votes [35.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.50%

2. Love giving feedback; Love receiving the feedback; Love reading all the queries (83 votes [49.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 49.11%

3. Agree with the content of the comments, but the delivery sometimes makes me want to offer up cookies and milk (22 votes [13.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.02%

4. What is this? Real Housewives of Beverly Hills? - Meow! (4 votes [2.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,161 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

Looking for poll results and commentary from anyone who wants to participate.

We have a lot of new faces here, so slap on a name tag (Peri Oddical and Original Zygote, yes... you guys too), get a drink from the open bar, and give us an idea of how it's going...

#2 anticipa

anticipa

Ant, the Quixotic Query Quibbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:A piece of flash fiction in Bad Austen, published Nov. 2011 by Adams Media.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

Maybe I'm a big softie, but I usually try to deliver crits with a helping of good old-fashioned cheerfulness as well as what needs work. Enthusiasm for each other's improvement is conducive in any critiquing environment - the goal should be to build up, of course, not to tear down.

I do hope I'm preaching to the choir here, though.

[/soapbox]

Also, for polling purposes, perhaps it'd be better if it were anonymous? I mean, you know, even more anonymous than the internet already is. :laugh:

© this post is a riley redgate production

reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

i blog! i tweet!

#3 BC Morin

BC Morin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

::name tag:: Hi, my name is Barbie ::name tag::

I'm loving the AQC site. I just posted my query yesterday and have gotten quite a bit of feedback. I also like that all the feedback hasn't been sugar-coated. I'm all about being honest without being mean and i've gotten that and some nice comments as well. I look forward to exploring the site more and receiving more critique on my query and then eventually my synopsis....

Great to meet you all ! :raises hand with drink:

#4 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

I've gotten helpful feedback, but after the Crew's own query thread I was worried that my feedback wasn't helpful. I can spot the obvious things. I was afraid I was nudging in the wrong direction for the bigger things.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#5 TansyRagwort

TansyRagwort

Guppy Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:One short story in Beyond Centauri, novel coming December 2013 from Immortal Ink Publishing

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

Sometimes, I get such conflicting critiques. Some people love one line and other people hate it. But other than that, people are very patient and willing to help.

http://www.immortali...ify.php?book=25

http://www.immortali...books.php?id=25

THE IMPENDING DEMISE OF THE GIRL WITH BROWN EYES coming Dec 2013 from Immortal Ink Publishing.

#6 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:NOT A DROP TO DRINK is a post-apocalyptic survival tale set in a world where freshwater is almost nonexistent. Available now from Katherine Tegen / Harper Collins.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

Whenever I'm critting for someone, be it a whole ms or a query, I make it a point to highlight the positives as well. I try to keep the neg:pos around 3:1, enough to let them know what they're doing right, and enough to let them know what they're doing wrong.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg

#7 Tam-L

Tam-L

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Just started self-publishing. One young-YA book released in August 2011.

Coming October 2011: Practice Cake (Older YA or Chick-Lit)

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

I don't think I'm great at receiving critique, or giving it, but goshdarnit, I'll keep trying. :-) Beats the alternative--living in a bubble. Wait, no, I like my delusional bubble.

But seriously, even the critiques that make me go OUCH!! have been incredibly helpful. It really demonstrates that your work is not a beautiful precious jewel to other people like it is to you. Nope, it's just a few more paragraphs to grade. Ahhh, perspective.

#8 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:20 AM

I know what this forum has given me, and I have yet to give it back.

We write to the constrictions of form. Nobody told me before that I had to write to the forms of query, synopsis, outline, etc. It's just as creative an act as what we've all been doing.

Bottom line. We write for a reader. That reader gets what he/or she can from the media available. We struggle to access that media so they can read it.

I'm feeling good tonight. I've had a lot of great feedback from my beta readers. I know a lot about what I have to fix. I wouldn't be here this fast without this forum.

I'm still paranoid. i can't figure out who is paying for this...

But thanks.

#9 Ian Isaro

Ian Isaro

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationAfrica

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:01 AM

I'm not sure (and I haven't received critique yet). I try to list everything I see as an issue, but in a neutral sense. As far as I know I have not made anyone cry.

#10 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Insert Penny Avatar)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published "Genocide to Genesis"

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

When I actually find the time to critique queries, I admittedly try not to pull my punches. If I happen to make someone cry, then I just tell myself that I've given them practice in dealing with harsh criticism. Although, I don't think I've actually made anyone cry. Everyone here on this site seems mature enough to handle honest opinions.
g2g.jpg

Author of Genocide to Genesis

#11 Jshaw

Jshaw

Mrs. Happypants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:None, aside from my thesis.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:57 AM

I love this critique site. It's helped me immensely and I find that the overwhelming majority of comments are thoughtfully constructive. Better that we tell each other what's not working than simply getting a form rejection!

As to the crying, I'm with Eli Ashpence - a thick skin is a must in the writing biz. That being said, nothing's wrong with letting out a few tears of frustration...every once in a while :happy:

#12 C_W

C_W

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories:
    'The Missing Muse' published by Static Movement.
    'Witchy' published by SMP

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

I personally like to be the kind type of "feedbacker", and I think this is the best approach. You can tell the truth and still be kind, mention the good aspects of the query as well as the bad.
Being too harsh is, in my opinion, pure bitterness. Having said that, feedback in this site is really great, I love it. Just my kind of feedback, even though I get some scrooges every now and then :happy:

"Rocks in my path? I keep them all. One day, I shall build a castle."
Fernando Pessoa

Meticulous Editing, Creative Content Writer
www.novelfixer.wordpress.com

#13 Cheryl B. Dale

Cheryl B. Dale

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Category, ebooks, mystery

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

I've been on here a couple of years now. I used to go into first page, first chapter, synopsis, and a few other sites but don't have time now except the query site. It taught me a query should lay out the conflict. In fact, it taught me pretty much what conflict is. So I try to pay it back.

#14 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel, The Sister Queens (the story of 13th century sisters Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence who became the queens of France and England respectively) is now on shelves everywhere (and is also available on-line at Amazon, IndieBound, Books a Million, and Barnes and Noble).

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

I try to be polite but am doubtless brusque by some folks standards. I view writing (mine) as a business, so being polite is good, saying you like something when you do is also good, and mentoring is good; but handing holding or trying to point out positives where they are virtually non-existent. . .well those are just time-wasters (and time is money).

I also think query writing and critiquing can become an endless loop if folks let it. How many threads have I seen lately with hundreds of views and dozens of drafts?! The truth is the end goal of this process is actually sending a query and getting an agent and book deal – that means forward movement is necessary and fine-tuning your query should take considerably less time and effort than writing your novel did.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#15 Joel Q

Joel Q

words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

I try to be honest about the writing, good or bad.
I'm probably a little blunt sometimes.
If a person can't accept opinions from others, they don't need to be putting their work out there for critique.

People don't need to be mean or catty.
We also don't need to let sloppy writing go by either, just to keep from hurting someone's feelings.

Give praise when needed.

The critiques have helped my query.
I don't agree with every comment, but that's part of the process, finding what works for you and your story.
Chisel away until your voice comes through.
Need extra help, check out my editing services on my blog.

#16 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

It's been a long time since I posted a query for critique (over two years to be exact), and I'll share my perceptions with you from then.

-I got a lot of conflicting feedback. Some loved my query. Some hated it. I viewed this as a good thing. It made me realize my readers felt strongly about my writing. If every comment was "meh" I wouldn't have gotten anywhere. But, conflicting advice is hard to balance. Writers need to be diligent about understanding their voice, their story and their motives behind choosing each word they write. This can be intimidating, and if writers are very new to the arena, a bit scary and hurtful. We try to accomodate every piece of feedback to make others happy, often to the detriment of our query.

-Some feedback was harsh. Seriously, one critter flat out said he hated it and wouldn't keep reading past the first few words. He told me why. This kind of honest feedback is welcomed--well, not the hate part. Another said I was being "cutesy and unprofessional". This commentary was an attack on me as a writer and is never constructive. So, even an honest critique that stings isn't all bad. It really makes you evaluate your goals for how you laid out your query and how effective you were in succeeding. But all feedback must be given respectfully. There's a huge difference in how that feels and the impact it can make on a writer. Particularly a new writer with little experience in receiving a critique.

Over the years, I've seen many critiques that virtually say the same thing. One will be encouraging while the other will be defeating. It's all in the way we say it. I try to build up the writers I crit, while providing honest, helpful feedback and the reason behind it. That, to me, is the key to a solid critique. We can't learn from someone saying, "I hate that," or "Do it this way." We can learn from someone saying, "This doesn't work for me because..."

At times, I also try to provide an example to better illustrate my point. My hope is that writers will get a better grasp on what I mean and then use this new perspective as a jumping off point for further creativity on their behalf.

But that's just me...and apparently the novel I just wrote. Sorry for the long post. No wonder my childhood nickname was Mouth.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#17 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

I try to be constructive in my crits. To be honest, there are times when a query is just so bad that I don't think I'd have anything more constructive than to say "throw this away and start over from scratch: What is the conflict in the story?" I'm not sure I've actually shared that on a query yet, but that's how I've felt about several.

#18 popcornjack

popcornjack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

I voted for School of Hard Knox because ultimately I think that is what is going to be most helpful. I certainly try to be positive in all regards and offer some compliments about a query as well as some (what I hope is) constructive criticism. On a separate but connected issue, I find myself avoiding a lot of queries because I don't read enough YA fiction (okay, I don't read any) or Science Fiction and Fantasy to feel that I understand enough about those specific genres and if, within the standard query guidelines, there are certain elements agents and editors look for.

It is never too late to become the person you always wanted to be.

#19 Eleanora di Toledo

Eleanora di Toledo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:none yet

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

Without the query critique forum people might not have any idea about how their query is received by others. A favorite phrase could be exactly the wrong thing to include and at least here if something is really wacky, someone will usually point it out. It is nice to mix in some positive points too, of course. Realistically, I think we would almost all prefer to find out how people might be interpreting our query, even with a variety of conflicting instructions, than just count rejections or non-responses piling up. I think the query revisions that run into the hundreds reflect the awkwardness of the forum posting dynamics more than the futility of the process. Each rewrite spawns a new series of critiques whereas if you were looking at the text with the person there would be more immediate back-and-forth and fewer new drafts. One problem I see is that it seems like there are some aspiring writers who aren't nearly strong enough as writers to create publishable material and I wonder about encouraging them too much. I had no idea so many people could complete full length novels and still make lots of grammar and spelling mistakes in a short letter. Overall, as online environments go, this is one of the gentler, more supportive ones. I participate in a photography forum where "the pros" are really harsh with the newbies and I am always afraid to post, but it is still all in the name of constructive criticism.

#20 Cheryl B. Dale

Cheryl B. Dale

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Category, ebooks, mystery

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

I try to be constructive in my crits. To be honest, there are times when a query is just so bad that I don't think I'd have anything more constructive than to say "throw this away and start over from scratch: What is the conflict in the story?" I'm not sure I've actually shared that on a query yet, but that's how I've felt about several.

Hey, I've felt that way about lots of queries I see! I've started only critiquing people who've been members a couple of months. That way I feel like, if they've been reading the posts and other info, maybe they've picked up something and aren't a one shot deal.

I try not to discourage people. It's hard to put yourself out there via your writing. If someone's got far enough to finish an entire manuscript, they deserve encouragement. That's the same reason I critique a few manuscripts in other groups. As a bonus, lots of times I see my own mistakes in other people's work so it's a win-win situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users