Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

You Tell US... We're Listening

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

Poll: Admins Checking In Our Most Important Group and Members (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How Are You All Feeling About The Feedback You're Giving and Receiving?

1. School of Hard Knox -- but ultimately helpful and fun (56 votes [35.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.67%

2. Love giving feedback; Love receiving the feedback; Love reading all the queries (76 votes [48.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.41%

3. Agree with the content of the comments, but the delivery sometimes makes me want to offer up cookies and milk (21 votes [13.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.38%

4. What is this? Real Housewives of Beverly Hills? - Meow! (4 votes [2.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel, The Sister Queens (the story of 13th century sisters Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence who became the queens of France and England respectively) is now on shelves everywhere (and is also available on-line at Amazon, IndieBound, Books a Million, and Barnes and Noble).

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, whatever happened to "the Kid?"
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#42 kevinmont

kevinmont

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

I haven't heard back from him yet, the slacker.

#43 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES to be published by Albury Books November 1, 2013.

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

The last time I talked to the Kid was at the DFW Writer's Conference. He's just as nice in person as he was here, but I don't think he's made a single post since the conference, and I don't know why.

#44 DC Rich

DC Rich

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published a short story with members of the Mississippi Writer's Guild. Still seeking to publish my books.
    Book is on Amazon under the title Pinebelt Poetry and Prose

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

The critique forum was one of my first stops when I started here. I read the boards, introduced myself and jumped in. All the feedback I got was fantastic.

Was it hard to read about character soup? You bet! Was it needed? Yes.

I've been very busy in Clipper's summer marathon so I haven't been critiquing many queries lately, but I do want to pay it forward and help where I can.

I've learned a lot about how to do the critiquing from some of the masters around here, Ant, Cat, Litgal, BK, and of course I loved Crew's crits when the crit challenge ran earlier last spring. Hands down this is where the rubber meets the road. I wouldn't have stayed and participated in the other forums if this particular one hadn't been so helpful.

DC

When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.
Always drink upstream from the herd.
Never squat with your spurs on.
-- Cowboy wisdom from Will Rogers

Follow me, or tweet me on twitter
Visit my blog The Write Time
Visit my group blog: Aliens, Dragons, and Wraiths, Oh My!

#45 Olyn

Olyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am self-published through Createspace and Smashwords. I belong to many writer, author and animal forums. I have found that most publishers won't accept your work unless you are represented by an agent. I know there are many opportunities out here and I'll continue to try to find them. My wheels are constantly spinning but I feel I'm going in circles.
    I'm learning new things every day. So much to learn though.
    I'm in the editing stages of the second book in my Omar Blue saga, "Lead By An Eagle." A unique adventure for Omar Blue and his pack and I'm very proud of it. I don't want to put it out until I have a method of getting it to where it can get a fair appraisal.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new here but know I'm going to like it. I've just put out an agent query to be critiqued. I realize it works both ways and would like to do the same for others. I've never done this before but I would be fair and by all means any criticism would be constructive and of course only my opinion. Should I start right away or wait until I've gotten "the lay of the land." I'd like to help because I know how important comments are to all of us.

#46 Cheryl B. Dale

Cheryl B. Dale

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Category, ebooks, mystery

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

Hello everyone. I'm new here but know I'm going to like it. I've just put out an agent query to be critiqued. I realize it works both ways and would like to do the same for others. I've never done this before but I would be fair and by all means any criticism would be constructive and of course only my opinion. Should I start right away or wait until I've gotten "the lay of the land." I'd like to help because I know how important comments are to all of us.

You might want to check out the site information on writing queries. Then read some of the queries and the advice given. When I first came on, I lurked for several weeks before feeling competent enough to comment. Lots of people do jump right in, though. So it's up to you.

#47 scubasteve4

scubasteve4

Gone Writing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel BATTERY BROTHERS is due out with Elephant's Bookshelf Press on March 30, 2014.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

There are 346,004,403 websites on the web. I like this one best. That’s saying something!

The members of AQ Connect make this site great. Criticism of fellow writers’ work is, for the most part, constructive, not destructive. I believe there is an art to giving a query critique in this type of support-based community that is home to writers that range from published to just starting out. Bashing a new or unpolished writer isn’t going to help the writer improve. It may even turn the writer off to the craft. I can only imagine how many would-be award-winning authors got discouraged early on by destructive feedback and gave up. That’s not to say everything should be spun positively. It shouldn’t. Call out everything that is not working in the query or their manuscript or whatever. But if your post is all negative and comes off more as a personal attack, I think that’s a poor critique for this type of community. This is a community of support more than anything. Even if the writing is completely horrible, adding a note at the end of critique like, “Keep at it. You’ll get there,” goes a long way. Cat Woods, Ant, and many others are pros at doing just that.

May I be so bold as to off up two suggestions that I think will make this site even better?

- I’d like to see a Hall of Fame section. A place we can view writers who either got agented or traditionally published (or self-published with more than 5,000 sales) AFTER joining this site. I think it would be an honor to get in and serve as inspiration to those who still trying to get there.
- Secret Agent Contests seem to work well on others sites. Having a monthly secret agent contest on this site would be fun. I think it would be beneficial to the agents and writers.

Keep up the good work, AQCrew and AQers. You rock!

http://www.stevencarman.com

BatteryBros3.jpg

Published: March 30, 2014
Elephant's Bookshelf Press

#48 Robbin

Robbin

Robbin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

When I first started participating, I remember receiving a difficult critique and I questioned my ability at writing -- Ant rescued me from my own pity party :) Yes, thick skin is necessary to grow as a writer. Now, I welcome critiques that help me see with new eyes. I appreciate this site and those who pay it forward - I value your opinions. The bottom line is... I have the final say. Thank you!
Robbin Luckett
YA Writer

#49 Candyland

Candyland

Fairiequeen

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

I am a newbie to this site but I've been writing for a long time. I'm glad you posted this because I needed to be sure of how much is too much.
I've read a few queries in here that were so awful I couln't think of one positive thing to say. So I didn't say anything.
Those of you who have been here for awile, how do you deal with this situation?
I want to contribute and offer whatever knowledge I may have garnered at this point. But what do I do when I read queries so poorly constructed that it's obvious this writer has no clue about queries or about writing in general?

Just asking...

#50 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel, The Sister Queens (the story of 13th century sisters Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence who became the queens of France and England respectively) is now on shelves everywhere (and is also available on-line at Amazon, IndieBound, Books a Million, and Barnes and Noble).

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

I am a newbie to this site but I've been writing for a long time. I'm glad you posted this because I needed to be sure of how much is too much.
I've read a few queries in here that were so awful I couln't think of one positive thing to say. So I didn't say anything.
I want to contribute and offer whatever knowledge I may have garnered at this point. But what do I do when I read queries so poorly constructed that it's obvious this writer has no clue about queries or about writing in general?

Just asking...

Just as you did. The truth is if I open a query that will need an overwhelming amount of work I just feel exhausted and back slowly away. That may not be the right response but I only have limited time. I don't even have time to read or comment on every good query. So the really "not ready" are right out.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#51 Cheryl B. Dale

Cheryl B. Dale

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Category, ebooks, mystery

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

Just asking...

I don't mind helping people who are serious about their writing. I had a lot of help and still get it. But I've limited myself to the query group because like Litgal, I have only so much time.

And I only comment for those people who've been on the site at least 2-3 months. By that time, if they've read the info on queries and followed the queries being critiqued, they've usually picked up something and proved they're serious about learning.

So don't give up on them. Even the worst writer can improve if s/he's helped and tries.

#52 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:42 PM

Just asking...

If it's really far off the mark, I don't do a line-by-line massacre of the thing. In those cases, I try to point out big-picture problems, steer them toward some resources on query basics, and save the hatchet for a later revision when it's ready for more fine-tuning.

But that's me. And only when I feel up to responding at all. (I've done the walk-away a few times, but I also stick primarily to genres I feel I know pretty well and am interested in.)
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#53 Candyland

Candyland

Fairiequeen

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thank you. Good advice. I will offer encouragement to those I can, and back off when I have nothing positive to add.

#54 Makuro

Makuro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

What about making a 1st chapter review thread? Limit it to say 4000 words.

Love this site.

#55 Moonshade

Moonshade

Plague Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short articles for Indiana Living Green

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

Just asking...

I'm sorry to admit it, and I'm working on being more patient and understanding, but sometimes I get harsh. Part of it is that reading through a really difficult query is exhausting and dries up my patience pretty fast. Another part of it, though, is that I've got a pretty hard head myself, and sometimes I need information to be shouted before I can understand how important it is. It's harsh, but it's also a lot more honest. I don't think I'm heinous in my harshness-- I don't pull garbage like "It's bad and you should feel bad", but I tend not to pull punches along the lines of "It's broken. Fix it." Somebody's got to say it, after all.

That said, I've got a lot of sympathy for people who got excited and jumped into the pool too fast. I know how discouraging it can be if nobody'll even look at your work, but at the same time, they've got to be reminded that this isn't fanfiction.net. We don't coddle here. (Some of my favorite people, actually, are the ones that I yelled at for not reading the manual and messing things up (posting multiple queries, whining about not getting crits without working for them, etc), who messaged me back, thanked me for pointing out their mistakes, and then asked me how to best fix it. That takes a truckload and a half of guts and a rhinoceros-thick skin, and it's downright impressive.)

WARNING: posts made by Moonshade are dangerously low in Sodium. Therefore, all questions, quandaries, comments, corrections, and curiosities should be taken with a heaping dose grain of salt.

Come see me at my my blog!

#56 JordanTheNinja

JordanTheNinja

The Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Working on that.

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

Hello. I've been on here awhile and have recieved extremely great feedback from a lot of people on here. This is one of my favorite site ever. As my username says, I'm a teenager and am proud to be on a site with fellow writers. I guess the reason I like it so much is that we're all pursuing the same goal: getting published. Of course, that can vary between writers and branch off into different things, but you get what I'm saying. Haha.

I can say that if and when I do get published it will be greatly because this site and the poeple have helped me get to where I need to be. Yes, I'm young, but I know quite a bit. (Don't take that as if I'm being cocky - xD)

Let's all take this writing journey, guys!

-BTWDI
I am Jordan the Ninja, pleased to meet ya. ;)

If you get a chance, I would forever appreciate it if you followed my Twitter:

@JordanAdams1128

“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” - Walt Disney

#57 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

I'm not a newbie to AQ or the writing biz by any means, yet I find myself continuously inspired by the great ideas, the poetic words and the heart-wrenching perseverence that everyone brings to their queries and their query critiques.

Additionally, I'm always impressed when I see writers come to AQConnect who conduct themselves with professionalism from the start. Likewise, I love watching writers grow in their own understanding simply from offering up an honest and heart-felt response to their fellow scribes.

Yay!

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#58 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

I think what I've gained most from AQC is confidence in myself as a writer. Queries are hard to write. Right off I could easily see what some of the problems were with other queries, but finding those in my own was harder. I was too close to the story. I appreciated every hard critique I got because it pushed me in the right direction to learn how to write a query. Oddly some of the best points were from members newer than myself. So if you are new, don't be afraid to critique a query from anyone. You never know when the right comment could come from the most experience or least experienced of us.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Michael Dunn's Cancer Battle Fund

#59 Ian Isaro

Ian Isaro

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAfrica

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:10 AM

I would like to get some criticism on blurbs for ebooks, since they are like cousins to queries and require the same kind of thinking. Would those be appropriate here?

If yes, should it be one blurb per thread? It feels strange to have a thread for something that's required to be under 400 characters, especially since I have three different blurbs I'd like critiqued. For my novel I do plan to take advantage of the extended space, so that is more like a full query, but I don't want to spam threads for short story blurbs.

#60 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,077 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

I would like to get some criticism on blurbs for ebooks, since they are like cousins to queries and require the same kind of thinking. Would those be appropriate here in the Query Critique forum?

We suggest that you post one or two of them for feedback in the Digital Pubbing group, and then a "Wanted Ads" post for the rest. Down the road, we may set-up a separate public critique group for this kind of thing, but likely not until next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users