10 replies to this topic

#1 TomFrodo

TomFrodo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:While being published as a nonfiction management journalist, I have four unpublished novels awaiting to find homes. They feel comfortable in the realms of SF, fantasy and alternative history.

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

Hi,

Can E problems be bypassed by working with EJunkie.com where the writer manages his work on his site and the activity is coordinated by EJunkie?

This system appears to allow the writer to operate as the publisher by having a formatted file that can be downloaded and charged to the viewer.

What have you heard about EJunkie?

Tom

#2 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:self published Journeys of Intent, Firewalkers, The Ultimate Gift: Loving Blood, and Christine's Cross now online at Smashwords.com and Amazon

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

What kind of problems do you anticipate with epublishing? Why would you go to someone nobody knows of?
Thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated!!!
http://joebiancardi.weebly.com
http://journeysofintent.weebly.com

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, in November.

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

I'm not familiar with it, Tom. Joe has a point, though at this early stage of the game, new vehicles could definitely be better than the established ones. The question I'd have (and I'm not yet the most well versed in this, but I'm working on it) is whether it can be viewed by the most common ereaders -- Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc.

#4 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,248 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

E-junkie is not anything to do with e-publishing specifically, but rather a way of creating a "shopping cart" on your website so you can sell direct. Many of the self-published authors I know do this, in addition to selling through Amazon, Apple, B&N, etc. (I don't know whether any use E-junkie specifically, but I remember one mentioning it looked like a good option.)

It's a nice option, since you make more selling direct, but I'd never rule out the biggies like Amazon--make yourself as available as possible.
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#5 TomFrodo

TomFrodo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:While being published as a nonfiction management journalist, I have four unpublished novels awaiting to find homes. They feel comfortable in the realms of SF, fantasy and alternative history.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:22 PM

E-junkie is not anything to do with e-publishing specifically, but rather a way of creating a "shopping cart" on your website so you can sell direct. Many of the self-published authors I know do this, in addition to selling through Amazon, Apple, B&N, etc. (I don't know whether any use E-junkie specifically, but I remember one mentioning it looked like a good option.)

It's a nice option, since you make more selling direct, but I'd never rule out the biggies like Amazon--make yourself as available as possible.

RC Lewis,
So the real question then becomes how to integrate the shopping cart system with epublishing.

If you manage your book directly on your site, then can you offer the book though Amazon, Apple or B&N without going to an online epublishing company?

Can you deal with those distributors by connecting your site to those places? What would you do to format your files so that you could work with them without having to go to places like Outskirts?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Tom

#6 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,248 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

Selling your book directly through your website has nothing to do with selling through Amazon, etc. at all. You don't *have* to go through a company like Outskirts, regardless of whether you sell direct.

Each retailer has their own process. For Amazon, you go through their Kindle Direct Publishing service (KDP). B&N has PubIt!, and Apple has a process as well, though I'm not as familiar with it.

For anything other than Amazon, you'll need ePub format. Amazon has their own format, but you can create a MOBI file, which is essentially the same. Amazon will also accept files in certain other formats and perform the conversion for you, but you have to meet some specifications.

If you look on the main Forums page here, the group directly after this one is specifically about the Kindle, and I believe there's a link there that can take you through one possible way of getting a Kindle-readable file.
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#7 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

It may be important to note here that you can't take the ebook files generated by the amazon/b&n/smashwords meatgrinders and turn around and sell them through your website.

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

jen%2Bsorry%2Bsmall.jpg  Consenting%2BAdults%2Bsmall.jpg

#8 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,248 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

Right, forgot to mention that. (I forget a lot when I try to compose an informative post on my phone. :blush: ) Thanks, Jen.

You'll need to do your own converting for files to sell, but there are a lot of ways to do that. A friend of mine recently posted this step-by-step procedure. Pretty easy to follow ... I'm not sure yet if you get the absolute best results possible with it, though. How much better you can do may depend on your comfort level with more technical approaches.
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#9 TomFrodo

TomFrodo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

Right, forgot to mention that. (I forget a lot when I try to compose an informative post on my phone. :blush: ) Thanks, Jen.

You'll need to do your own converting for files to sell, but there are a lot of ways to do that. A friend of mine recently posted this step-by-step procedure. Pretty easy to follow ... I'm not sure yet if you get the absolute best results possible with it, though. How much better you can do may depend on your comfort level with more technical approaches.

First, I want to thank you for the tutorial and tips about the process.

However, to say selling your book directly through your site has nothing to do with selling through Amazon is almost like saying your selling has nothing to do with marketing.

I understand what you are saying about setting up your book on your site having a separate function than dealing with Amazon.

To sum up your comments, you say — each retailer has their own process like with KDP, that Amazon will accept some files, that you can’t take ebook files generated through Amazon and sell them on your site.

So the question then becomes, if you want to offer your book on your site and also deal with those retailers like KDP, how do you proceed? Does that mean a different version of the ebook has to be offered so the one on your site is different from the version used through the retailers?

Sorry if some of this is very basic, but I appreciate your thoughts,

Tom

#10 LH Thomson

LH Thomson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented, media
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Thousands of stories for seven different papers, one non-fiction sports book, but no fiction to date.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

Tom,
The easy solution, and the one I suspect most authors follow, is to have a wordpress-based site, as they have thousands of plugins for free. Several of these allow you to store files on your site that people can only download after purchasing (using a wordpress plugin for selling files, for example) through paypal.

Then, you can just add direct links to the online store pages for your book, to accomodate people who want to use those accounts.
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
Mark Twain

Check out my blog at http://lhthomson.blogspot.com/ !

#11 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,074 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:46 PM

So the question then becomes, if you want to offer your book on your site and also deal with those retailers like KDP, how do you proceed? Does that mean a different version of the ebook has to be offered so the one on your site is different from the version used through the retailers?

Tom

LH Thomson offers a great suggestion: start up your website using Wordpress (a free blog and website tool) and use their plugins and Paypal to help set-up the merchant side of your epublishing exploits.

Another tip, Google offers a checkout cart. You can generate purchase buttons and digital download encryption keys to place on your website, and then anyone with a gmail account can easily purchase, checkout via credit card, and downloading your digital file.

But since Tom requested a very straight-forward answer to some complicated epublishing issues, here's a no frills 4-Step process to the epublishing mystery:

Step #1: - List your book on Amazon -- over 50% of the eReader marketshare is via Amazon's Kindle eReader, so you need to have your book distributed via Amazon.

Amazon's Kindle eReader's currently only supports their own proprietary ebook format -- also known as Mobi or .AWZ. So you need to create this file (rather than simply uploading your MS Word doc into Amazon's crunch converter).

To help you with this process, here's our official AQ Guide for creating an Amazon epubbing account as well as our How-to Guide for Converting your MS Word Doc into a properly formatted Kindle Mobi file.

Step #2 - Create an ePUB file of your MS Word doc.

Almost all other eReaders (except Amazon Kindle eReaders) support the ePUB file format. So people who want to download and read your ebook on their Nook or Sony EReader or Apple iPad and iPhone will want to download it as an EPUB file. And while most tablets like the Apple iPad and Samsung Galaxy can certainly read MS Word docs, most eReaders do not support MS Word docs as a readable file format. (They are, after all, eReaders and not mini-computers).

So if you want to offer a file format on your website for purchasing and downloading, you will need a properly formatted ePUB file. So be sure to use our official AQ Guide to How to Create an ePUB file for Mac or PCs users.

Step #3 - Set up your own website -- which nowadays is the same thing as setting up your own blog.

You can do this through Wordpress, and that's what we recommend. And in fact, we recommend that everyone start up a "blog" on wordpress -- just so you can play around with their templates and learn how to create your own customizable website.

Nowadays, you can actually hide the blog page of most Wordpress templates -- so that you don't actually have to maintain a blog as part of your Wordpress website.

And best of all -- it's free and easy. And when you eventually want to pay a website developer to help you snaz it up, there will be scores and scores of low-cost wordpress amateur website developers who can help you for $500 or less. Plus, your experience with Wordpress will understand what you truly need help with in terms of paid website programming versus what you can accomplish on your own -- free of charge.

NOTE: Anyone who was able to create an account and figure out AQC can create and account and figure out Wordpress in about 3 hours. It's that easy. Just sayin'...

Step #4 - Decide on which other distribution channels you'd like to make your eBook available.

There are many, many, many, many options. Here's our own growing list, but there are new ones coming online every month. Pick a couple of them and run with them. And to help you start up, here's our AQ List of eBook Distribution Sites.

You don't necessarily have to do these 4 Steps in this order, and we encourage anyone with experience in anyone of these 4 Steps to chime in with their own personal experience.

Everyone wants to know how to epublish AND how to do it they want to successfully -- but that's kinda like asking, "Well, I want an agent. Somebody just tell me how I can get one?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users