#21 Tam-L

Tam-L

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Just started self-publishing. One young-YA book released in August 2011.

Coming October 2011: Practice Cake (Older YA or Chick-Lit)

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

While I did learn some stuff, I don't like the notion of following an agent and then being rejected by him/her because, despite the lessons I could learn, I'd be inclined to unfollow them in despair. And then I'd just feel petty.

It is petty, but I get the same feeling. I suppose it is a natural response, and not a wrong one. If we like someone who rejects us constantly, that's a recipe for codependency, right?

#22 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

If we like someone who rejects us constantly, that's a recipe for codependency, right?

They're not rejecting US, they're rejecting our manuscripts.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself. :wink:
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#23 Tam-L

Tam-L

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Just started self-publishing. One young-YA book released in August 2011.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

Funny, I keep telling myself "I am not codependent." :laugh:

#24 jdenker

jdenker

Incurable Optimist And Hopeless Romantic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Three-ebook deal with Kensington; books published/publishing 5/16/13, 8/1/13, and 11/21/13.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

It is petty, but I get the same feeling. I suppose it is a natural response, and not a wrong one. If we like someone who rejects us constantly, that's a recipe for codependency, right?

I guess I'm safe, then--I don't make it all the way to "constantly"; my loyalties wither and die after just one rejection! :laugh:

Right now I consider myself an e-mail inbox addict, constantly checking my Gmail account that I set up solely for queries. KatieG turned me on to the "Gmail notifier" that has a lil' icon that sits on my laptop's toolbar and turns red whenever there's something in my inbox--so now I don't have to keep one browser window open to Gmail all the time.

Of course, in the short span of only two days I've developed a response to the red envelope that's positively Pavlovian! (Nothing in my query inbox, though; I have a second one set up for my other Gmail account too.)
As the great philosopher J. Clarkson has so often said, "How hard can it be?"
Hey, somebody read my blog, whydoncha? It's gonna start growing mold otherwise...

#25 Dorothy

Dorothy

Dorothy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Yes please...!

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

In two seconds: 'No - I don't do this.' NB
GDE

#26 Tam-L

Tam-L

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

In two seconds: 'No - I don't do this.' NB

Two seconds?! Woah. Was this in person at a pitch type thing?

What's next? Precogs sending out rejections before we email the queries? Do they have bald triplets floating in a vat, hooked up to computers?

#27 Candyland

Candyland

Fairiequeen

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

You gals are so funny!

Maybe we could get a stamp made that says "It's not right for us but thank you." And "Tighten up your writing, (story, plotline, query, synopsis) but it's still not for us. Then we could stamp our own rejection letter and not ever have to worry about sending them out! :laugh:

And I can't remember the title of the movie, but Tom Cruise was in it and I remember the bald chicks. Very funny reference.

#28 Dorothy

Dorothy

Dorothy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Yes please...!

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

I guess he was on a roll that day.I believe he's back to editing and writing his own.
GDE

#29 Tam-L

Tam-L

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:25 AM

The precogs - that's from MINORITY REPORT. Which is actually a terrible name for the movie because it is not sticky at all and I have to look it up all the time.

#30 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Tam-L - be my friend? LOL, when I read your initial post I thought "gee, that's funny, I don't remember writing a post about this!" I'm in the same boat! - second complete novel, I really think/thought it was commercial/saleable/sellable, and am already up to 10 INSTANT rejections, with 15 more out...lingering....lingering....lingering. I'm not sure which is worse....the instant rejections or the being ignored. ::sigh:: The publishers take a LONG time to answer submissions so my strategy is to have one submission in to a publisher (generally indie press) at the same time I have a bunch of agent queries out.

My shortest response was an email that simply said "No." :huh:

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#31 Tam-L

Tam-L

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:48 AM

Tam-L - be my friend? LOL, when I read your initial post I thought "gee, that's funny, I don't remember writing a post about this!" I'm in the same boat! - second complete novel, I really think/thought it was commercial/saleable/sellable, and am already up to 10 INSTANT rejections, with 15 more out...lingering....lingering....lingering. I'm not sure which is worse....the instant rejections or the being ignored. ::sigh:: The publishers take a LONG time to answer submissions so my strategy is to have one submission in to a publisher (generally indie press) at the same time I have a bunch of agent queries out.

My shortest response was an email that simply said "No." :huh:

Okay, I will be your friend! I am not an agent, so I can't get you a fab book deal, but I'm pretty nice. :-)

#32 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

My personal best is about 21 hours.

#33 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

I'd like to believe that but I put so much of myself into my writing that I don't see a difference.

#34 Anya Harker

Anya Harker

Where are we going... and why are we in this handbasket?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Several short stories to be published by Crimson Melodies in 2012.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

I think my personal best was 8 minutes. That's what I get for putting a bit of personalization into my letter. The sad thing? She may have thought I was sucking up -- what I put in the personalization was the truth. ><
AVALON RISING | YA Fantasy: 78k | Querying with Subs Out
HAUNTED LEGACY | YA Fantasy | WIP

Site: www.anyaharker.com
Blog: Blog of Anya Harker {New blog on 12 July!}
Twitter: AnyaHarker

#35 Brighton

Brighton

Radioactive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Literary Status:media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

Anya, what kind of stuff do you put in your personalizations?
"The truth was that Jay Gatsby, of West Egg, Long Island, sprang from his Platonic conception of himself. ...and to this conception he was faithful to the end." -The Great Gatsby

#36 Anya Harker

Anya Harker

Where are we going... and why are we in this handbasket?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Several short stories to be published by Crimson Melodies in 2012.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

It depends? If I've met them at a conference or an event, I'll say that. If they do a feature on their blog/twitter that I follow regularly, I'll mention something about it. Or, if I'm a huge fan of one of their authors -- I'll say something about that.

But I always make sure it comes off as genuine -- not that I stalked them for months. ;^]
AVALON RISING | YA Fantasy: 78k | Querying with Subs Out
HAUNTED LEGACY | YA Fantasy | WIP

Site: www.anyaharker.com
Blog: Blog of Anya Harker {New blog on 12 July!}
Twitter: AnyaHarker

#37 Ammari Sky

Ammari Sky

Annoying Penguin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:N/A

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

I unsubscribed from all the agents on Twitter. I learned two things, they seem to like donuts more than cops (I can say this freely because I'm married to one), and some of them really hate being parents and would rather be at work.

The Query Shark was helpful to a point but then again it's all about cupcakes and sending her joke queries to actually catch her attention.

While I respect their jobs and I understand from a very nice agent that she only picked up 5 projects all of last year it made me wonder why do we try if 5 projects are even going to be taken seriously.

I tried self publishing and that pool is so deep you might as well call it the ocean. I cannot spam people begging them to buy my book. Although professionally edited and I actually hired a well known graphic artist who works for the largest marketing firm in the U.S. my book is not selling. I am lost in the world of publishing with 14 complete novels to my name and no chance in hell of ever having them see the light of day. I have been called too prolific. Hah like that's an insult.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't use semicolons. They stand for absolutely nothing. They are transvestite hermaphrodites. They are just a way of showing off. To show that you have been to college." ~Kurt Vonnegut

#38 swirlyhead

swirlyhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Oh, one article in Sailing magazine.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

Oh, wow, great topic and TamL, gotta say, if you write books like you write on this forum, and if I were an agent, and if pigs had wings, oh wait.

But funny, funny stuff coming from you and many others on this thread. Probably this site, too. I'm just starting to look around. Fun to start off with a laugh, though.

And BTW, the snail mail the next day!!! Yikes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users