Disclaimer

Photo

Query that got me my agent (AND NOW PUBLISHER)

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 JNKhoury

JNKhoury

Veteran Member (Finally!)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am repped by Lucy Carson of the Friedrich Agency. My YA debut ORIGIN will be released from Razorbill (Penguin) in Septemer 2012.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

Exciting UPDATE on post #34!!!

I don't have an agent or publisher yet--I only started querying two days ago. But since then I've gotten six requests--one for a partial and five for fulls. No idea where it'll end up, but I'm keeping all appendages crossed! I was asked to post this by another member, so here it is:See Post #17 for update

Dear Agent:

Mankind has reached perfection—but she comes at a terrible cost.

Pia lives in the middle of the Amazonian rainforest, surrounded by glass walls and a team of brilliant scientists. She is the result of centuries of experimentation, selective breeding, and, most importantly, the influence of a rare flower whose nectar holds the key to immortality. If sipped from the flower itself, the nectar is deadly. But the scientists have discovered the one way it may be safely taken—*EDITED TO DELETE IMPORTANT PLOT SPOILERS*

It takes five generations for the scientific colony to absorb the immortality of the ambrosia flower into their genetic code, but finally Pia is born. Along with immortality, Pia has beauty, intelligence, and preternatural grace and agility. She is the pinnacle of human perfection, but she knows nothing of the *EDITED TO DELETE IMPORTANT PLOT SPOILERS*

Everything changes the day she turns seventeen, when Pia sneaks out of the compound and stumbles into the village of the Ai’oans. She begins to fall in love with the small, peaceful people—and a half-Ai’oan, half-Spanish boy named Eio. When Pia discovers that her existence is possible only because of the *EDITED TO DELETE IMPORTANT PLOT SPOILERS*, she must make a choice: live forever as a goddess among mortals, or make the ultimate sacrifice to set things right.

My young adult novel PERFECTLY PIA, complete at 80,000 words, is a blend of James Cameron’s Avatar and Ally Condie’s Matched, and will appeal to readers of both science fiction and the paranormal. May I send you a partial excerpt or the full manuscript?

I hold a B.A. in English and my work has appeared in the Epicentre and Timeless Voices. Thank you very much for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Me

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. --e. l. doctorow

#2 scubasteve4

scubasteve4

Gone Writing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel BATTERY BROTHERS is due out with Elephant's Bookshelf Press on March 30, 2014.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

Holy crap. This is awesome. I want to read this!

http://www.stevencarman.com

BatteryBros3.jpg

Published: March 30, 2014
Elephant's Bookshelf Press

#3 kevinmont

kevinmont

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My historical novel, Six Winter Days, was published in April, 2014 by Blue Water Press

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:19 PM

It's amazing, especially with mankind being feminine and the rainforest being Amazonian.

Congratulations.

#4 P.K. Dawning

P.K. Dawning

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

Sounds interesting. Congratulations on the requests!

#5 anticipa

anticipa

Ant, the Quixotic Query Quibbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:A piece of flash fiction in Bad Austen, published Nov. 2011 by Adams Media.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

TOTALLY CALLED IT.

*hem* sorry. Just had to. :laugh: So many good vibes hanging around AQC lately! Congrats - your day is near! My fake ESP senses it. :wink:

© this post is a riley redgate production

reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

i blog! i tweet!

#6 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

Yeah... good one.

#7 IzzyBella

IzzyBella

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, The Plum Tree, will be published by Kensington Publishing in January 2013.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

This sounds awesome! Good luck!

#8 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:nada...working on it

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

Good luck! I loved your premise when I first read it. I think we'll be seeing more of you around the literary world...

#9 JNKhoury

JNKhoury

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am repped by Lucy Carson of the Friedrich Agency. My YA debut ORIGIN will be released from Razorbill (Penguin) in Septemer 2012.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:47 AM

It's amazing, especially with mankind being feminine and the rainforest being Amazonian.

Congratulations.

hey now k-mont, I had this query on the crit forum for like a month. you should have spoken up earlier. :wink:

#10 Lori Sjoberg

Lori Sjoberg

Resident pain in the rear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:GRAVE INTENTIONS and GRAVE DESTINATIONS are now available from Kensington Publishing.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

Great job. Good luck!

#11 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Fiction Addict & Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Associate's Degree in Professional Writing, technical editor, and cover designer.

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

Is a little jealously in order? That is one heck of a well-crafted letter. You've earned those requests! I'll cross some appendages too for multiple offers. Best of luck!

#12 Asher Tensei

Asher Tensei

Dragoon Captivator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am traditionally published under a small press, Malachite Quills. I am under a subsidiary of them named Paramance. Find my work, Mana, here! www.Paramance.com

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:51 AM

Great job. I hope your representation comes swiftly.

Manasignaturecover_zps9e8a2796.jpg"Sincerity of Twilight meets action of Marvel."
Ashertensei.blogspot.com
@@AsherTensei
@@TheManaSaga
The Mana Saga on Facebook

#13 Priam

Priam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:First novel.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

Whew.... !

#14 Cloe

Cloe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

So, what happens? :wink:

You go girl, your story rocks. :cool:

#15 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:20 AM

Congrats! You have a fantastic query there, and I'm crossing my fingers for you that those requests turn to offers :)
A Writer in Bloom blog: lorarpfictionblog.blogspot.com

#16 TansyRagwort

TansyRagwort

Guppy Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:One short story in Beyond Centauri, novel coming December 2013 from Immortal Ink Publishing

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

Well you have an agent NOW.

http://www.immortali...ify.php?book=25

http://www.immortali...books.php?id=25

THE IMPENDING DEMISE OF THE GIRL WITH BROWN EYES coming Dec 2013 from Immortal Ink Publishing.

#17 JNKhoury

JNKhoury

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

Thanks Tansy! Forgot to update this thread.

Yes, it's official: Perfectly Pia and I are now represented by the fabulous Lucy Carson of the Friedrich Agency. I still can't believe this is happening.

I thought submitting to agents was hard. Submitting to editors (even if the agent does all the work) is ten times more nerve-wracking. As we speak, I'm nibbling three fingernails at once! :blink:

Total stats, in case anyone is curious:
Request rate: 50% (mostly fulls, one or two partials)
Of that 50%, half wanted to see revise and resubs, and two made offers.

#18 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

Congrats!

Welcome to the "other side" -- before you have an agent you think getting one puts you at the top of the hill. After you have an agent the clouds lift and you see the peak you've climbed is the starter hill. But it has a GREAT view :)
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#19 anticipa

anticipa

Ant, the Quixotic Query Quibbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:A piece of flash fiction in Bad Austen, published Nov. 2011 by Adams Media.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

Can't wait to see it on shelves! :D

© this post is a riley redgate production

reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

i blog! i tweet!

#20 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Fiction Addict & Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Associate's Degree in Professional Writing, technical editor, and cover designer.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

Congrats! And keep us updated, because I wanna read it when it comes out! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users