#1 the transylvanian

the transylvanian

Writing as Camilia Crandell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My paranormal romance THE TRANSYLVANIANS, was picked up by a publisher and it's set to be release in the summer of 2014.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:14 PM

Have you ever put yourself into the life of your MC? Who are you and who are they?

Cleona Somerton is beautiful and talented - nothing like me. To me she is the ideal beauty, someone stunning and breath taker.

Safira Tash is powerful and a skilled warrior - everthing I admire and wish to be.

Castelia Evington is too smart and too safe. It will bore me to death to be her - but I so admire inteligence in others.

Calianta Bowen is so naive and anoying - eventualy she will sink the Titanic. Wow.

Come to think about, I am a complete stranger.

Imagination is better than knowledge  - Einstein

#2 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES to be published by Albury Books November 1, 2013.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

Everything you mentioned were peripheral traits. I'm willing to bet if you dig deeper, you'll find yourself in your main characters.

Jamie Gray- Coroner, widowed, single mother. She's sarcastic and often says the things I think but don't say. She also looks like me.

Allie Baxter- Running from her past, was a slut in high school, has a foster daughter. She's scared to trust but falls in love with a man who is exactly like my husband. (As I'm writing this, I'm discovering that as an adult she's a bit like me except much more aware of the world around her.)

Victor Diaz- Married artist, has an affair with bipolar muse. He is shallow and thinks higher of himself than he really is. He has absolutely no self-awareness. (This is the only one I have nothing in common with. I'm more like his muse without the crazy part.)

(From my trunked novel) Claudia Johnston- Gorgeous blonde teenager who is growing horns. She's sweet, naive, and a bit of a whiner. She's struggling to find out who she is and the animal instincts she recently acquired as a result of being part goat. (My husband can see a little of me in Claudia, but I don't.)

Angeline DeDiablo- Daughter of Lucifer. High energy, drips with sarcasm, risk taker, and very surly. The only thing I have in common with her is we both love cars.

#3 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

I don't read or write french, but to quote somebody famous, "Madame Bovary, cest moi."

#4 Tessa

Tessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

One of the secondary characters in my WIP is probably 75% based on me. The main character is not. At all. My completed book was one of the first I'd written where I couldn't identify any of the characters as being the "me" of that story. There's usually at least one, often unintentionally, usually not the MC.

#5 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

Great thread Trans. I'll play!

Gabrielle DeLuca was definitely based on me and that was intentional. She's painfully shy, or was, but she has mostly overcome that in her new life. She's still working on those dreadful insecurities.

Nicole Carmichael is very beautiful and extremely intelligent (not me), but also responsible, hard working, and again, insecure. I had to put some of me in there.

Jillian (no last name) is a rebel. She's stubborn, foul-mouthed and something of a vigilante whenever she witnesses an injustice. There's a little of me in Jillian as well.

Alaina Reynolds is another one with insecurities, although not easily seen. She's musically gifted and the voices she hears in her head are real. She's aggressive and tough and finds out she isn't afraid to go after what she wants when she finally meets the right man. I'd like to think there is something of me in Alaina as well, although it's probably just wishful thinking.

#6 Moonshade

Moonshade

Plague Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short articles for Indiana Living Green

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:29 AM

Oooh. This looks fun. For an added bonus, I'll put them in the order of their inception, since I think that gives the best picture of WHY they are the way they are:

Aren Dreamkeeper: She was a straight-up self-insert (even had my name) until I changed her. She's got a lot of my younger self in her-- the parts that abhorred femininity and overemphasized the virtues of toughness and violence. Considering she's a woman in a royal court, that gets her into a ton of trouble.

Masako Tsukikage: This is another mirror of my younger self-- instead of just rejecting dresses, she goes the full monty and masquerades as a man to take advantage of the rights and prejudices associated with them (For several years, I seriously thought that way). She's also got my fighting style, where she blatantly ignores pain and keeps fighting until her opponents either bleed to death or die of exertion. That kind of attitude's gotten me sick more times than I can count, and it loses Masako several extremities over the course of her lifetime.

Jara (Megan Anderson): Hyper-rational, sarcastic, and responsible to the point that she cripples herself psychologically. The only thing standing between her business-like attitude and a full blown mental breakdown is her best friend.

Drae "Rae" StillWorkingOnTheSurname: Silly, immature, flippant, but overwhelmingly loyal, and constantly at odds with his hyper-rational and macho inner self.

Arich Amoret: She's my goofy, silly, naive side again-- this is a clueless rich girl (I wasn't actually very well off, but the community I grew up in was so saturated with PHDs and scientists that I didn't get exposed to much of anything) attempting to understand the Real World. She's also got my compulsive habit of adopting people every time she sees someone in need.

Chicago: Ethnically German, clueless, naive, ridiculously lucky. She's so obsessed with fantasy that she routinely misses out on reality-- and that's a big problem that I've got.

I used to follow certain archetypes when I wrote-- each of them were individuals who had been shaped by their lives and upbringing, but they tended to have similar viewpoints. Ever since working on Chicago and working with multiple viewpoints in the same story, I'm starting to break from that and diversify my portfolio. I'm giving Masako a complete overhaul, for one thing, and I've started featuring characters that had previously sat well outside my comfort zone. But these here are the ones I've used for the last decade or so, and they're the ones most blatantly ripped off of myself.

WARNING: posts made by Moonshade are dangerously low in Sodium. Therefore, all questions, quandaries, comments, corrections, and curiosities should be taken with a heaping dose grain of salt.

Come see me at my my blog!

#7 Michael Steven

Michael Steven

Me? Pedantic?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not Published ... yet!

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

All of my characters share at least one of my traits, even the nemesis. Some of those traits overlap a little. None of them share more than 10% or 15% and so I would say none are modelled after me.
Let there be light on this planet ... And let it shine through me
Let there be travellers who venture ... Far from the beaten path
And let one of them be me - Jefferson Starship - Champion (unused lyrics)

#8 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

I'd be willing to bet that we put a little something of us in just about all our characters, whether it's a trait we reveal, or one we hide. Maybe a trait we wish we had the courage to display. I can certainly see that in my own writing.

#9 the transylvanian

the transylvanian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My paranormal romance THE TRANSYLVANIANS, was picked up by a publisher and it's set to be release in the summer of 2014.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

You are right Late Bloomer, after all, we created them. And when we write about them, we put ourself in their shoes all the time. So, in the long way, we are what who we write (in the very, very long way). But it is interesting to see who we create...and mine are a hand full.

#10 the transylvanian

the transylvanian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

Oh, my Lord, I am blind? How did I miss this one? I have an MC who resembles me a bit: she loves to wear dresses, pearls and Coach purses even she kicks a...all the time. And more, she drives a Hummer...Now, that is a paradox.

#11 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE and THE HILO HUSTLE are available at Amazon.com and on B&N.

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

My MC is a female private investigator from Hilo, Hawaii, who describes herself as "mostly Chinese and Korean but also part Samoan, Portuguese and part Filipino, and a real small part Japanese." She also has hyperadrenalism and is quite adept at both disguises and the ukulele.

If she and I have anything in common, it's that we are both inquisitive and have a low threshold for stupidity.

#12 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Insert Penny Avatar)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published "Genocide to Genesis"

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

On the surface, the easy answer would be 'no' since my MCs tend to be gay males whereas I'm a woman with a generic family unit. Physically, we couldn't be any different. However, I know for a fact that my MCs can sometimes channel less obvious aspects of my personality, such as my fatalistic perspective of the world and reactions to stimuli that I've already encountered.

Have you ever put yourself into the life of your MC? Who are you and who are they?

I'm not really understanding the first question. How do you write an MC unless you mentally put yourself in their shoes? I can only assume you mean literally and, in that case, I would have to say 'no'.

ME--A twenty-mumble year old woman with a husband and a son, although I've had my share of broken hearts and youthful follies. I'm currently working janitorial, but I've worked a wide range of jobs including fast food, factory, managerial, and even an attempt at the military. I could be best described as a quiet, antisocial introvert. I understand people, but I suck at dealing with them.

MCs--I've had a bunch, so I'm just going to lump their commonalities. They tend to be socialites surrounded by people. As I mentioned before, they tend to be gay males. However, they're very much like me by how they chase after 'the one' when they encounter him.
Unlike me, they're rule-breakers and law-breakers. Like me, they always try to do what they feel is right.
Things like to blow up in their faces quite often, but they always manage to come out on top with smug grace--almost as if they'd planned everything from the start.
g2g.jpg

Author of Genocide to Genesis

#13 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, in November.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

I've noticed similarities between my characters and me, but I've never written a main character who "is" me. I gave myself a cameo once, where I was driving an ambulance (something I actually do), but he, the ambulance, and that conversation between the driver and MC are long gone from that manuscript.

#14 the transylvanian

the transylvanian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

Anybody else want to play?Posted Image

#15 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, in November.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Or rephrase the question a different way: Are any characters your direct opposite? Did you do that on purpose? And if you met, would it be like joining matter and anti-matter (or in my case Matt and Anti-Matt)?

#16 r louis scott

r louis scott

Newbie. That's right, Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

I have a few traits in common with my protagonist. One is a quirk that I hope brings across facets of his personality to a reader, and that is our shared dislike of horses. Working on farms growing up I took care of all sorts of animals and the horses and I just didn't get along. My mc wants nothing to do with them unless they are being served as a ration (he's a soldier in the Roman legions).

Another thing we share is the circumstance of our both being disabled veterans. I know what it is like to get up every day or lay in bed after a long day and feel all of those aches and pains.

Where we differ greatly, however, is that I am the eternal optimist and he lives pretty much day to day, taking what comes as it comes.

I truly think it is impossible for a writer to not share at least some traits with their mc, no matter how minor. Our intimacy with our characters demands it.

#17 JayMG

JayMG

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:My novel is due to be published by a small press in June/July 2014. I also have short works published in various UK and US literary magazines.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

My MC is a female private investigator from Hilo, Hawaii, who describes herself as "mostly Chinese and Korean but also part Samoan, Portuguese and part Filipino, and a real small part Japanese." She also has hyperadrenalism and is quite adept at both disguises and the ukulele.

I. Love. Her. :biggrin:

I definitely put aspects of myself in my MCs, but mostly subconsciously. Then I read it back and realise I'm basically saving a shitload of money on therapy by writing. What I find even more frightening is how family members and friends also turn up inside my characters. Almost to the point where I dread some of them reading my book.

In my latest, I've divvied out my worst personal traits to two of the main characters, poor souls. It's nice to get rid of them for a while though.

#18 mygirlldd

mygirlldd

Been around a while a now :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Oh gosh lol, is it weird that I'm more like my guy MC than my girl?

~Write Until You Drop (Or fall asleep at the computer)~

Follow my blog @ livelikeyourewriting.blogpost.com

Hear it. Watch it. Believe it. lifein6words.com

#19 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'll jump back in with more detail than my quote.

Beta readers have said my MC sounds like me. I don't know why that should be a shock because he speaks through my voice and this is a first person work. We are alike because we are both fascinated with rules, authority, loyalty, and honor. Duvall, however, is much more up tight than I am, measures thought and attitude in miniscule gestures and grasps to make whole truths from partial bits. He has to understand something he thinks of as "the truth". I am much more prone to go with the flow and be uncertain, but of course that's not a personality that generates much drama since I don't particularly believe that truth has one and only one aspect.

The story is designed to blow Duvall's mind and show him there are many truths and what think is true about himself is a choice he makes and not an eternal verity.

He's not exactly my opposite, but one of my characters, Richard "Ghost" Glowery certainly is. Languid grace, (I'm quite clumsey), highly focused (I'm a bit of a scatterbrain) power seeking, (I only want the power I need to sustain myself), and enjoys pain in others.... Well I certainly don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users