Disclaimer

Photo

Query for Memoir

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Query for Memoir (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the hook and synopsis be written in:

1. First-person (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. Third-person (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 loudlion

loudlion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Unpublished; currently seeking representation.

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

I've been researching this topic for the last few hours and am ready to pull my hair out with the conflicting responses. Any and ALL feedback (and referenced links) are much appreciated. Thank YOU! :)
Marcella Maggio

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Memoir query should be in first person, as should the synopsis. It's your story.

#3 loudlion

loudlion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

I appreciate your response... ;) Have you had personal experience with this type of query? Or know where I can find "the rules" on writing a memoir query online? Any information would be most helpful!
Marcella Maggio

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

I've not written a memoir, so I'm basing it on what I've researched (books, web sites, etc.) as well as what I think is common sense. A memoir is your story so it's your voice and perspective: first person. If you're telling someone else's story, it's biography or possibly even journalism, but not memoir.

#5 loudlion

loudlion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

Again, MUCH appreciated... :)
Marcella Maggio

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

very happy to help :biggrin:

#7 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

I would say that you should write it in whichever feels 'right.' With that said, I think Matt has a very good point about it being your story, so it should be written from your POV which would naturally fall to first person. (In the synopsis you will have to be careful not to use "I" alllll the time though--tricky!)

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#8 TonyLuv

TonyLuv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

So good to know.

#9 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Another tip would be to make sure it matches the tone and voice of your manuscript. You might find that first person feels more natural--because you are talking about you, right? Is your memoir written in first person? Your query might want to match that. But voice and tone and showing that your book is unique, has a market, and will standout in the crowded book world is really the most important.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#10 lorena

lorena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationSouth America
  • Publishing Experience:Does my experience as FFA Reporter count?

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

I appreciate your response... ;) Have you had personal experience with this type of query? Or know where I can find "the rules" on writing a memoir query online? Any information would be most helpful!

I am writing a memoir on what I call the 'bling' of my life-the shiny, brilliant, and expensive lessons I've muddled through, and could use a trailblazer for reference.  What recommendations can anyone share?  I could use a light, humored read since my last was 'The Hitler Book'.  Thanks!!

#11 Michael E. Murray

Michael E. Murray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:USA Gymnastics magazine; an article on the Unknown Gymnastist. Thousands of little girls across the country, in local gyms, balancing school and countless hours in their struggle for perfection.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Based on the feedback from my first query, first person was the consensus for a memoir written in first person.

#12 MamaTee

MamaTee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work has been published in only a few local newspapers. I am currently writing my father's life story which I plan on publishing on my own for family members.

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:15 PM

I am certainly glad to her that others are writing creative non-fiction here- most especially a Memoir.  I am trying to get things going on my own Memoir and I am coming up against the same walls that you are. I am going to continue on with my story, though, and it helps me to know that there is someone, anyone else out there interested in the same genre as I am.  Good luck. 

#13 Chloe Kleine

Chloe Kleine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Have now turned my hand to writing novels.
    Almost finished editing the first novel I want to publish.
    Do please take a look at my new query : RED MOON

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

I'm quite certain , after researching the Memoir genre, that the query for Memoir should be written in first person (assuming your MS is also in first person).

HOWEVER I am still trying to find out whether that query should be first person PRESENT tense or first person PAST tense.
My query titled Exobia is on the critique list and I've written in present tense. Maybe past tense would be better...

What's the general opinion? Past or present tense for a Memoir query?

Regards
Phoebe

Please critique my query, and I will return the favour!

http://agentquerycon...n-bdsm-romance/

#14 Andrea Lambert

Andrea Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:My first book, JET SET DESOLATE, was published by Future Fiction London in 2009. My second, a book of poetry called LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN, was published by valeveil in 2009. Lost Angelene published my chapbook, G(U)ILT, in 2011. My poetry has been anthologized in HAUNTING MUSES, WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES, OFF THE ROCKS #16: AN ANTHOLOGY OF GLBT WRITING, THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK VOL. 1, YOU’VE PROBABLY READ THIS BEFORE, and CHRONOMETRY. My work has been published in 3:AM Magazine, The Fanzine, Entropy, HTMLGiant, ENCLAVE, Queer Mental Health, Five:2:One Magazine and elsewhere.

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:23 PM

Thank you guys so much for these responses. Now I know.

I'm writing a memoir too. I was really curious about how to pronoun the query and synopsis I haven't even written the synopsis yet. Guess I need to do that, too.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreaLamber

GoodReads Author bio: https://www.goodread....Andrea_Lambert

Amazon author bio: https://www.amazon.c...ine_cont_book_1

JET SET DESOLATE from Future Fiction London on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0578016257

LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN: EXTRAPOLATIONS ON LOS ANGELES from valeveil: http://www.valeveil.se/posts/196

HAUNTING MUSES from Bedazzled Ink on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/194383752X

WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES from Trans-Genre Press: http://trans-genre.n...the-walls-down/

THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK, VOL. 1 from ARRAS.NET: http://www.arras.net/?page_id=658

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users