23 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

TO POST YOUR QUERY FOR CRITIQUE BY OTHER AQC MEMBERS, BE SURE YOU ARE IN THE PROPER FORUM: QUERY CRITIQUES

(Not here reading this thread...!)

THEN:

Post a copy of your full query for critique in this group ONLY.

Start a new topic by clicking on the START NEW TOPIC button, and then title it using the following format:  YOUR BOOK's TITLE (your book's genre) 

ALL revisions to your original query must be posted in the SAME thread. 

WARNING: New threads for the same query will be reported by members and deleted by the Administrators.

ADDITIONAL TIPS TO MAXIMIZE THE NUMBER OF CRITIQUES YOU RECEIVE:

How to Change Your Topic's Title in order to include its (Genre): Click on the "edit" button just below your first post. USE FULL EDITOR. Click on it to edit your original topic title or subtitle. Make your changes and click on save.

Don't include attachments: You will gain better results by copying and pasting your query into the body of the post, rather than attaching a file. 

Not getting critiques?: Check out this thread for tips.

Thanks and good luck!

P.S. If you need help from a moderator (there are a bunch of us hanging around here) and are referencing a specific post or thread, please use the URL/link of the thread or post you are referencing. It saves us all a ton of time and makes sure we're all on the same page. :wink: Thanks.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

#2 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

I posted a new version of my query, but it's waaaay back on page 6. It didn't bump up to the first page. :(

It's because you changed an existing posts in the topic. You have to add a new revision for it to bump you up.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

#3 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

Just a reminder to folks to please follow these rules. In particular:

1) Post revisions in the same thread--don't start a new one. (This has happened a few times lately, and my OCD requires me to immediately merge the threads when I discover it. Looks like the rules say second threads should be deleted. When Jean pops back in, she might not be as nice as I've been. :tongue: )

2) The title of your thread should be MY BOOK'S TITLE (genre). (In particular, the genre is missing in several posts lately. Including the genre helps other users find queries they might feel comfortable critiquing.)
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#4 Ilovesoup

Ilovesoup

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Will have!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hi, everyone.

I just had a quick question:

If you have two manuscripts with two different queries, do they have to be on the same thread or can you create a new one for the new manuscript? Can you have two queries being critiqued at the same time?

Thanks!

#5 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hi, everyone.

I just had a quick question:

If you have two manuscripts with two different queries, do they have to be on the same thread or can you create a new one for the new manuscript? Can you have two queries being critiqued at the same time?

Thanks!

Yes, please DO keep your queries each in their own thread -- each with the title and genre in the thread title. Also, it is perfectly permissable to have multiple queries posted at once.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#6 DavidLBell

DavidLBell

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Unexpected Witness-----a romantic thriller copyright 2011, release date 10-14-2013.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

I have revised my query in the post, as you directed, but I cannot find any way to edit the title to "revised" as you stated. I cannot find any edit settings, or extra boxes, anywhere.

#7 Jean Smith

Jean Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:books, magazines

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi David,

I learned this a while ago... your question arrived in my email... I'm no expert, but I think the trick to changing the title is editing the first post in the thread.

I was asked: Did you click the small Edit button under the first post in the thread first? Then the Use Full Editor button should show up.

Jean Smith Writer website
Newsletter tours, events, album release, photos, videos

#8 DavidLBell

DavidLBell

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Unexpected Witness-----a romantic thriller copyright 2011, release date 10-14-2013.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Thanks, I got it. You would think with 20 years experience with Windows, and a brother who is a consultant that I would have seen that edit button, huh?

#9 WinterBliss

WinterBliss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Poetry in local library.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the guidelines.

#10 Jaredwcooper

Jaredwcooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Is it alright if I change the topic title due to changing the name of the manuscript itself? It seemed redundant to use the old title, but I don't want it to seem like I'm changing it solely to get fresh eyes on it. I figured I'm okay by keeping everything in the same thread, just wanted to double check...
Essays, excerpts, short writings and links to my publications found at Jaredwcooper.org

#11 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

Is it alright if I change the topic title due to changing the name of the manuscript itself? It seemed redundant to use the old title, but I don't want it to seem like I'm changing it solely to get fresh eyes on it. I figured I'm okay by keeping everything in the same thread, just wanted to double check...

Yeah, I think that'd be fine. Just make a note of the change in the thread as well to call attention to it. (If anyone's following your post, they might be confused by the title change in the notification at first.)
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#12 cccwriter

cccwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Had 20+ nonfiction health and nursing-related books published by academic and trade publishers. Self-published 20+ fiction and nonfiction ebooks, some co-authored; they appear on amazon.com, smashwords, and some on Barnes & Noble.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hi,

How do I get my 5th revision of THE HAUNTING OF SAMANTHA MCQUEEN from the bottom to the top? Thanks in advance for your help.

Carolyn

#13 ajsimone34

ajsimone34

Big Dreamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

How do I get my 5th revision of THE HAUNTING OF SAMANTHA MCQUEEN from the bottom to the top? Thanks in advance for your help.

Carolyn

I'd comment and help some others revise and ask them to look at yours.

Andrew J. Simone

Born from Babel

My Blog

#14 LJGlover

LJGlover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Poetry in compilation books

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

I have two versions of my query draft, and I only posted one. I can't choose. One's risky, one's not. Should I start a new post or put the other within the same thread?

#15 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Slush reader for Every Day Fiction. My short story "The Girl" is due for publication August 2014 by Foundling Review, and "Letters to Jennifer" is due for publication October 2014 at Blue Lake Review. I blog at thetravelfaerie.wordpress.com and thequeryfaerie.wordpress.com.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

Same thread probably. If you post two the mod will have to merge them anyway. You're only allowed to have one thread per query.

Want your query to be critiqued by The Query Faerie?

Need a review for your self-published book?

Looking for an editor?

Blog: www.thequeryfaerie.wordpress.com

Twitter: @TheQueryFaerie

#16 wendylrogers

wendylrogers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I self-published with Northwest Publishing "The Return of Vengeance". They filed for bankruptcy and I lost all of my royalties.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

I am new to this site. I need help please. Where do I post my query?

Thank you very much for your help.

#17 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Slush reader for Every Day Fiction. My short story "The Girl" is due for publication August 2014 by Foundling Review, and "Letters to Jennifer" is due for publication October 2014 at Blue Lake Review. I blog at thetravelfaerie.wordpress.com and thequeryfaerie.wordpress.com.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Under the Query Critique Group there should be a button that says "Start New Topic" or something similar. That will allow you you to post your query.

Want your query to be critiqued by The Query Faerie?

Need a review for your self-published book?

Looking for an editor?

Blog: www.thequeryfaerie.wordpress.com

Twitter: @TheQueryFaerie

#18 eyestothepast

eyestothepast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have had a couple short stories published in a small town newspaper.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Well, I'm brand new to this site and I was having a really hard time figuring out how to add "Revised" to my query post. I was just about to ask when I saw your post, Jean, about full editor. That did the trick! Thanks! :)

"When you're up high, all the stuff that looks confusing and messed up... suddenly becomes crystal clear." ~Senna Memories of Nobody

#19 TheWordSmith93

TheWordSmith93

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Dear Jean,

I'm afraid I posted a new topic on the same query letter that has been revised. If there is any way you could delete it (because I have looked to do it myself) that would be awesome. I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience and I promise not to make the same mistake a second time. 

#20 kcampbell

kcampbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi.  I am trying to add my revised query but I am not seeing the edit button.  I hate to sound stupid, but where does one find it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users