88 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,127 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

TO AVOID HAVING YOUR QUERY AND ITS CRITIQUES DELETED*, PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING...

Welcome to AQC. This is a great community of writers, many who take the time out of their own writing to help others with their query letters.

Through the years, AQC members have honed a system of posting queries to which we ask all query posters to adhere to.

This is not only for critiquer convenience (it saves them time and helps them keep versions of one person's query straight), but it also keeps the query critique group neat and tidy.

IMPORTANT:

Post a copy of your full query for critique in this group ONLY.

Start a new topic with TITLE (genre) in subject line.

New threads for previously posted and critiqued queries will be deleted. For this reason, post one query and subsequent revisions in the SAME thread.

Your thread/topic title for your critique should look like this: MY BOOK'S TITLE (genre)

(If you aren't sure what your genre is, check out the AQC library's "writing tips" area for tips on figuring out your genre.) ** Please note that the library is currently down due to issues with the last upgrade. We hope to have it back soon.

ADDITIONAL TIPS TO MAXIMIZE THE NUMBER OF CRITIQUES YOU RECEIVE:

We don't expect everyone to be perfect right off the bat
, so here are some tips that might be helpful.

Post a new revision in the same thread: By adding a new post with your revised query in the original topic, your query topic/thread will get bumped back up to the top of the query list on page 1 (of the query critique group)--even if it had fallen to a 'back' page.

Add a subheader, especially to alert members that you have revised your query: There is a second box for more info which you can leave blank or add a little note. This box will be handy when you add a REVISED query--type in "Revision" in this box if you want to easily draw attention to your topic's latest changes.

How to Change Your Topic's Title in order to include its (Genre): Click on the "edit" button just below your first post. (Some folks have noticed since the last system upgrade that they need to edit the last post of theirs in the thread in order to do this.) It will bring up a box where you can see your query and make changes to it--also handy for when you spot that inevitable typo after you've posted. However, just below that posting box is a big black button that says "save changes." You want the button to the right of that which says: USE FULL EDITOR. Click on it to edit your original topic title or subtitle. Make your changes and click on save.

Don't include attachments: You will gain better results by copying and pasting your query into the body of the post, rather than attaching a file. People don't like opening unknown files posted online--even if they have a stellar firewall and virus protection software. As well, attaching a file that contains your query equals more work for your potential critiquers. (And it is more difficult to reference one's comments in an effective and efficient way.)

Not getting critiques?: Check out this thread for tips.

Thanks and good luck!

P.S. If you need help from a moderator (there are a bunch of us hanging around here) and are referencing a specific post or thread, please use the URL/link of the thread or post you are referencing. It saves us all a ton of time and makes sure we're all on the same page. :wink: Thanks.

*And yes, deleting may seem a tad harsh, but all our moderators are volunteers. In other words, helping keep this place tidy and running is us writers tucking into our writing time to help out. And honestly, it is WAY faster and easier deleting than fixing or merging. I know, I know...

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#2 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:46 PM

You are SUCH an effective drill sergeant!Posted Image
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#3 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,127 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

It's hard figuring this all out, so I'm hoping these instructions will help folks.

We've got such a great community here, any little thing we can do to keep things running smoothly just adds to our general, overall appeal. :wub:

(Plus, it gives volunteers like me a little more free time to gab with other AQCers about writing, and of course, write.)

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

#4 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,127 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

I just want to say that you newbies are rockin' this group lately and doing a bang up job of posting as per the group's guidelines. Keep rockin' and good luck!

#5 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I've had several short stories published with online magazines within the last two years. Currently, I am self-publishing my paranormal series. See my blog for more details.

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

I posted a new version of my query, but it's waaaay back on page 6. It didn't bump up to the first page. :(

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg

demonthumbnail.jpg

#6 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,127 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

I posted a new version of my query, but it's waaaay back on page 6. It didn't bump up to the first page. :(

It's because you changed an existing posts in the topic. You have to add a new post for it to bump you up.

Usually we recommend you add the latest version as a new post (at the end of the topic/thread) and leave a note in the original post stating there is a revision later in the thread. People who are interested can then read through the different versions and the comments that go with them. Otherwise, if you change the first post, the comments that follow don't always make sense to a new reader. One of the nicest things about the query critique area is that others can learn a lot by reading the 'stages' of someone else's queries and the feedback that goes with it.

Let me know if you have further problems with bumping your topic back up to the front page.

#7 DevlinDLC

DevlinDLC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Literary Status:media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:N/A

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

I'm glad to see that I've followed the rules thus far considering I'm new. Thanks, Jean, for the additional tips! Devlin.

#8 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,127 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

No problem, Devlin. That's what I'm here for!

#9 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,315 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion on October 14, 2014.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

Just a reminder to folks to please follow these rules. In particular:

1) Post revisions in the same thread--don't start a new one. (This has happened a few times lately, and my OCD requires me to immediately merge the threads when I discover it. Looks like the rules say second threads should be deleted. When Jean pops back in, she might not be as nice as I've been. :tongue: )

2) The title of your thread should be MY BOOK'S TITLE (genre). (In particular, the genre is missing in several posts lately. Including the genre helps other users find queries they might feel comfortable critiquing.)
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#10 Ilovesoup

Ilovesoup

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Will have!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hi, everyone.

I just had a quick question:

If you have two manuscripts with two different queries, do they have to be on the same thread or can you create a new one for the new manuscript? Can you have two queries being critiqued at the same time?

Thanks!

#11 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel, The Sister Queens (the story of 13th century sisters Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence who became the queens of France and England respectively) is now on shelves everywhere (and is also available on-line at Amazon, IndieBound, Books a Million, and Barnes and Noble).

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hi, everyone.

I just had a quick question:

If you have two manuscripts with two different queries, do they have to be on the same thread or can you create a new one for the new manuscript? Can you have two queries being critiqued at the same time?

Thanks!

Yes, please DO keep your queries each in their own thread -- each with the title and genre in the thread title. Also, it is perfectly permissable to have multiple queries posted at once.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#12 Ilovesoup

Ilovesoup

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

Okay, thank you!

#13 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

I have two questions:

1-How do you delete a post?

2-How can I get people to at least view my topic? Not one person has even taken a look at my query. =(

#14 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel, The Sister Queens (the story of 13th century sisters Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence who became the queens of France and England respectively) is now on shelves everywhere (and is also available on-line at Amazon, IndieBound, Books a Million, and Barnes and Noble).

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

I have two questions:

1-How do you delete a post?

2-How can I get people to at least view my topic? Not one person has even taken a look at my query. =(

1) you can simply "edit" the post and go in and delete its content

2) if you posted recently then you probably won't get a lot of eyes because -- like 99% of places though not Malls, lol -- this place slows WAY down during the holidays. You may want to try adding a post to your threads (to bring them back to the top of the "Query Critique" catagory) after the New Year.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#15 Yvonne

Yvonne

Yvonne Osborne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Most recently my work has appeared in NOTES FROM UNDERGROUND An Anthology, The Melic Review, Pure Francis, Steam Ticket, and Black Crow

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hi Jean,
Oh! That drated genre definition requirement! Would I get booted if I used something like "contemporary drama" or "commerical/literary" crossover animal? I know I know.... I should know better. Trying to find my way around. Haven't been here in a while.

#16 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hi Jean,
Oh! That drated genre definition requirement! Would I get booted if I used something like "contemporary drama" or "commerical/literary" crossover animal? I know I know.... I should know better. Trying to find my way around. Haven't been here in a while.

Best to ask that question in the Query thread when you post your, Yvonne - or post it in query questions and conversations
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#17 Ilovesoup

Ilovesoup

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

How do I delete a post in query questions? I posted something no one's answered, but I already know my answer, so is there a way to delete it so I don't waste space?

#18 kimmie

kimmie

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None but hoping to change that someday soon

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

I got a question. If Im doing major rework on my MC, which means change title and genre and making it longer, do I delete my old query post completly or do I keep that one and just update my Book Title with comments on newest query.....

#19 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,127 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

Yvonne, if commercial/literary is your genre, that is perfectly fine!

Ilovesoup, don't worry about it! You can just let it fall lower on the list of topics until it falls off the page or you can post something there (if you haven't already) saying you have the answer--could even post the answer if you want as others may have that same question.

Kimmie, I would just update it in a revision because if you start a whole new topic or change the thread's title part way through you may confuse folks who are helping out.

#20 Jean Smith

Jean Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:books, magazines

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Re: THE BLACK DOT MUSEUM OF POLITICAL ART query critique.

I would like to change my REVISED QUERY to post #22.

I used these directions yesterday and it worked, but now it does not:

"Click on Full Editor to edit your original topic title."

I don't get the original boxes.

Thanks,
Jean

Jean Smith Writer website
Newsletter tours, events, album release, photos, videos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users