#1 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

An interesting discussion from the NY Times.

Will Amazon Kill Off Publishers?

#2 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have over a dozen books published under both my Cali MacKay pen name and Calista Taylor.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for posting, Rick!! Very interesting discussion. I thought most of them had valid view points, though to me, the editor at Melville still felt like he had his head in the sand and just didn't get it-- which I know many have said is the problem with traditional publishers.

I think one of the reasons people keep holding onto the hope of publishing traditionally is that they want to see their books in libraries and stores, but really, what's to keep Amazon from providing that service? It's a rapidly changing world, and I think too many traditional publishers are sticking their fingers in their ears and squeezing their eyes shut, hoping this will all just go away.

Need a Cover?

Cali MacKay

FREE

51M9jSBpNOL._AA160_.jpg518t1wJjh2L._AA160_.jpg 51u%2BLRzsWSL._AA160_.jpg

#3 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

Interesting discussion. This made the ticker that runs across the screen on Morning Joe the other morning. I think the comment about publishing being like "art-making" speaks to the link you posted a few days ago about the new kindle format (8?) My first thought when I read that was that those were tools that would let you really control what your work looked like - not just fonts and covers. It's one of the reasons author's like Audrey Niffenegger have shied away from e-books and it really does enhance the reading experience for me.

Cali is right about libraries as well. I read lots of library books. I just read them on my kindle. That should be a much smaller step for Amazon now.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for posting, Rick!! Very interesting discussion. I thought most of them had valid view points, though to me, the editor at Melville still felt like he had his head in the sand and just didn't get it-- which I know many have said is the problem with traditional publishers.

I was impressed and a bit surprised that that Dennis Johnson of Melville House demonstrated the same arrogance, pomposity and shortsightedness that one might expect from a large publisher. A shame.

#5 Kalinda Knight

Kalinda Knight

Veteran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Previously worked as reporter for both weekly and daily newspapers. I've had many feature columns published. I was previously offered my own weekly column for a daily newspaper, but had to decline due to time constraints.

Getting ready to e-pub my romantic suspense THINGS NOT SEEN, as soon as I get a business plan in place.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

Thanks, Rick, for putting this link here. I've just spent a good portion of my day reading your link and your link's links. Oh, well, another day not writing. Still, I learned a lot and all in the name of research. Thanks, again.

#6 The Doctor

The Doctor

Gentleman Thief

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 154 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published 1 book

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

So my question is, how does one GO ABOUT publishing with one of their imprints?

#7 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

It's my understanding that they ask you.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

It's my understanding that they ask you.

I think that is it.

From what I gather, you publish with Kindle Direct Publishing and then if you show promise, (by selling many books) you get an e-mail inviting you to talk to them about publication. Or something like that.

#9 Whimsical_Werecat

Whimsical_Werecat

The Prowler of Prose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Award-winning short story, FINAL FLIGHT, published by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling series), recently published into eBook format by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling Series), set for its first print run via Lightning Source, in early 2014!

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for posting the link, Rick. Definitely an informative and fascinating read.

#10 The Doctor

The Doctor

Gentleman Thief

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 154 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published 1 book

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:06 AM

See to me, how would that beat out the traditional style where you go to the publisher? In my mind, the amazon way is MORE selective.

#11 dgaughran

dgaughran

Let's Get Digital

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories and one NF title, with a novel due in the Fall.

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

See to me, how would that beat out the traditional style where you go to the publisher? In my mind, the amazon way is MORE selective.

Well, for one, you could be building your audience, engaging with readers, and making money while you are in their "slush pile".

Having been in the other kind of slush pile, I can say that this one is a lot more fun.
Posted Image   Posted Image http://ecx.images-am...+yL._SL125_.jpg   http://ecx.images-am...91L._SL125_.jpg <---NEW RELEASE!!!
Download the FREE PDF version at my blog: Let's Get Digital
I have a new blog where I share curious incidents from the history of the world's most exotic continent: South Americana

#12 dgaughran

dgaughran

Let's Get Digital

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories and one NF title, with a novel due in the Fall.

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

I've interviewed several writers who have signed with their imprints (J Carson Black, Michael Wallace, Scott Nicholson, Traci Hohenstein, and Lia Fairchild). In all cases, they self-published first, and were contacted by Amazon on the strength of their sales, or just because Amazon really liked their book and felt they could dramatically expand their audience with a marketing push.

I've also heard that while their imprints do take agented submissions, Amazon look a little askance at them, preferring to target authors themselves who are already selling on Amazon (either trade-published or self-published, but mostly, it seems, self-published).

If you really want a deal with Amazon, it seems that all you have to do is self-publish a great book and sell a gazillion copies. Easy, right?
Posted Image   Posted Image http://ecx.images-am...+yL._SL125_.jpg   http://ecx.images-am...91L._SL125_.jpg <---NEW RELEASE!!!
Download the FREE PDF version at my blog: Let's Get Digital
I have a new blog where I share curious incidents from the history of the world's most exotic continent: South Americana

#13 Zero

Zero

The Guardian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Comic Book artist for High School and College Newspaper

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

I don't know, I believe Amazon may do a lot of things easy for consumers, but as writers, I just don't find it appealing at all, at least not yet..., am I the only one?
As a writer you are also your first and most important reader. Do what you love, love what you do.

#14 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

I don't know, I believe Amazon may do a lot of things easy for consumers, but as writers, I just don't find it appealing at all, at least not yet..., am I the only one?

Amazon appears to treat writers fairly well, certainly as compared to the big publishing houses.

#15 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

In my mind, the amazon way is MORE selective.

Let's examine this statement.

Amazon is signing two types of writers:

1. Writers who've been traditionally published and were offered a better deal by Amazon (like, WAY better).

2. Writers who banged their heads against the Pearly Gates of TP, were told they weren't good enough, self-published and proved the TP Eggheads wrong, and are offered a hand by Amazon.

Where does "more selective" come from here?

How would the Amazon deal beat out the TP deal? Don't you have to know the terms of the Amazon deals and weigh them against the TP terms? Isn't that the only way you can tell? I haven't seen the Amazon contract (yet -heh), but my agent tells me it's a far better contract for the author than any of the big 6 contracts being offered today. Three of her clients have signed Amazon deals in the last quarter. All deals where Amazon blew away the TP competition.

Zero, I'm wondering what you're referring to. What don't you find appealing? The idea of new imprints offering authors better contracts? Or this notion of Amazon becoming the all-powerful monopolist?
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#16 richard p

richard p

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Two self-published books: "Battles and other stories" and "Only The Lonely" (a novel) on Amazon.com.

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

I like Amazon because it's done something TP wouldn't do--let me publish my book at an affordable price. Isn't that the main thing most writers want, just to see their writing out there for the world to see.

http://richard-writi...ng.blogspot.com
Richard P Hughes a.k.a. R Patrick Hughes

#17 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com from Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:21 AM

Is it still true that it's very difficult getting self-published books onto library shelves and into bookstores? I would never consider self-publishing if the availability of the book I'm working on was limited to the Internet.
Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

#18 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

Is it still true that it's very difficult getting self-published books onto library shelves and into bookstores? I would never consider self-publishing if the availability of the book I'm working on was limited to the Internet.

It is very difficult to get books onto store shelves and into libraries under any circumstances. There are simply fewer and fewer store shelves with many thousands of books competing for space. Getting your book published by a traditional publisher is no guarantee that it will be widely available (or available at all) in bookstores.

I know, as a reader, the five closest book stores to me have shut down. I buy lots of books every year, but only rarely from brick and mortar bookstores.

#19 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com from Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

It is very difficult to get books onto store shelves and into libraries under any circumstances. There are simply fewer and fewer store shelves with many thousands of books competing for space. Getting your book published by a traditional publisher is no guarantee that it will be widely available (or available at all) in bookstores. …

That's a really good point. I still want to go the traditional route for my first book for "positioning" reasons. The books that will follow can be self-published. Those will be nonfiction books with local content/appeal, so I don't see the need for seeking out a traditional publisher for those.

Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com.

#20 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

That's a really good point. I still want to go the traditional route for my first book for "positioning" reasons. The books that will follow can be self-published. Those will be nonfiction books with local content/appeal, so I don't see the need for seeking out a traditional publisher for those.

Patsy, what do you anticipate the "positioning" will do for you?

One of the common faults of the debut novel experience is that the book fails to earn out or make money, and the pub drops the author.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users