D.T.Roberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052GFSIG

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

My book IRREFUTABLE finall broke into the top 100 on Amazon.com in 3 categories. Closing in on top 100 overall.
Very exciting.

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B0052GFSIG

Dale
Writing comes easier if you actually have something to say.

#2 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:09 AM

Congrats!

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#3 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:15 AM

Well done! Congratulations!

#4 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

Very nice, DT. Very nice, indeed.

Can you give all our AQC viewers a bit of the background of your book and your decision to e-pub it on Amazon?

Most writers find that the biggest barrier to e-pubbing is how and where to start -- quickly followed by what to expect in terms of initial sales numbers and how much time will be involved to maintain those sales and/or build an online presence.

That kind of feedback would be really interesting to hear from you.

#5 Kalinda Knight

Kalinda Knight

Veteran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper journalist. Author of THINGS NOT SEEN, a romantic suspense. Available on Amazon. http://amzn.to/1sLwvz6

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

Congratulations! And PLEASE, PLEASE let us in on how it's done! All of what AQCrew said. Again, congratulations!

#6 D.T.Roberts

D.T.Roberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

I originally published it on Amazon in May of this year after numerous rejections from agents. See my query here http://agentquerycon...h__1#entry32695

The final version is post #15

At first, as i'm sure is typical, faminly and friends bought it, but then it fell flat. I went the next month with nothing at all and a few trickled in over the next few months.
Last week I had an idea. If I make it FREE at least it would get a little exposure, but I didn't know how. The minimum list price you can put on Amazon is $0.99. I had published to Smashwords as well and it was picked up by Barnes and Noble. I went to my dashboard on Smashwords and changed the price to free. Two days later B&N followed. I then clicked the "tell us about a lower price" link on my books page on Amazon and reported the FREE price on the other two sites.
Two days later my book was FREE on Amazon. HERE IS THE AMAZING PART. Within 24 hours of it going FREE, I was ranked #8 on the free side. and twelve hours later it hit #1. In the first 36 hours I had over 43,000 (yes, that is three zeros) downloads.
It was very scary. I thought everyone who might be interested would get it for FREE before I could change the price back to $0.99. I chnged the price on Smashwords and B&N followed. I then requested Amazon to change the price back to $0.99 which they did (it took 24 hours). The momentum carried over to the paid side and it soon it was ranked at 1270 then to 517 then to 136 then it broke the top 100. To make a short story VERY long.
In a nutshell I made it free for a couple of days.
Part of the trick is to write a good book and design a good cover, then all it takes is exposure.

Well, that's my secret. Shhhh, Don't tell anyone :wink:

Dale

#7 Kalinda Knight

Kalinda Knight

Veteran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper journalist. Author of THINGS NOT SEEN, a romantic suspense. Available on Amazon. http://amzn.to/1sLwvz6

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Thanks, Dale! I'm glad to hear it only took a couple days for it to be free before you successfully changed back to 99 cents. Hope the momentum keeps up! Additionally, I'd like to know how much, if anything, you did with social media? Did you blog? How much time did you spend doing whatever you did in preparation for the book to come out? Twitter? Facebook? Thanks for cluing us on the details of your success. Meantime, I'm going to go check out your book, etc. Good for you! :biggrin:

#8 Dorothy

Dorothy

Dorothy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Yes please...!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

I'd like to know that too. Congratulations D.T.,
Inspiring.
GDE

#9 D.T.Roberts

D.T.Roberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

Actually, I did very little with social media. No blog, no website (yet) and no Twitter.
I put it up on my facebook page for all my friends and family to see but that was pretty much it.

#10 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Thanks so much for sharing and congrats on the rating!
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#11 Lori Sjoberg

Lori Sjoberg

Resident pain in the rear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:GRAVE INTENTIONS, GRAVE DESTINATIONS, and GRAVE VENGEANCE are now available from Kensington Publishing.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

Too cool. Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

#12 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for sharing your journey, DT. It's a great success story, and offers up some very interesting discussion points:

First, we'd like to point out that DT is using the technique of forcing Amazon to list his ebook for free.

This trick was discussed in the recent AQC chat last week, and has been successfully used by AQC mod, C. Taylor, for her recent rebook release, Viridis, as well as AQC member and self-pubbed romance author, Ruth Cardello.

You can read more about their advice and e-pubbing experiences here: http://agentquerycon...d-follow-up-qs/

With all this talk about successful social media marketing through blogs and Twitter and Facebook, it's interesting that this one technique has the potential to be more successful than any of your flavor-of-the-month "social media & marketing" tools.

Amazon's website is viewed by millions of buyers each day. So scoring a "top 100 rankings' -- free or not -- is worth tens of thousands of eyeballs and potential downloads. It's something that we suspect that traditional publishers envy because the only thing that can rival that kind of exposure is TV. And TV is not directly controlled by the publishers -- their publicists have to pitch TV producers in order to score valuable publicity spots on popular TV shows, and their media buyers have to spend a lot of money crafting media campaigns for TV, radio, and internet buys -- and for this reason, publishers only usually spend the big bucks advertising their best-selling (read: "extremely profitable") clients.

That said, social media is important. And minimally, your website link should be embedded somewhere in your ebook, so that anyone who downloads your book has the ability to review more about you and your future releases from a source that you maintain and control over the course of years and years to come.

Secondly, we like to point out that this kind of technique of offering your book for free is something you can do when you book is unagented and not currently being pitched to publishers. With the growth of e-publishing comes significantly more freedom if you are NOT being represented by an agent and NOT under contract with a traditional publisher, and this is a point that often will not get mentioned on agent blogs or discussed by industry-insiders. But it is ALWAYS discussed by writers and authors who are looking for better ways to monetize their books -- past, present, and future.

However, many writers and authors still want both relationships -- they want to sell their e-books and they want to eat their Random House cake, too. And since the Amanda Hocking traditional publishing deal proved that ebooks and self-pubbed writers can make agents a ton of cash, there is a growing trend of agents trolling Amazon rankings to find new self-pubbing talent. In essence, the new slushpile is the successful e-pubbers.

So if you're still interested in pursuing a traditional book deal and you can boast successful and current Amazon rankings, it might be a worthy experiment to query a few of your top-pick agents AND include your Amazon ranking info in your email subject line and/or within the first line of your query. We suspect that the smarter, savvier agents would understand an opportunity like that... especially if you have an second manuscript for them to review that's currently not being sold on Amazon.

Ten of thousands of downloads is not guaranteed for all those who choose to publish their ebook for free on Amazon. But for those of you who go this route and garner success, be sure to think carefully about all the ways you can -- and should -- leverage your exposure.

#13 D.T.Roberts

D.T.Roberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

Update
Today my book made its debut on the NY Times best seller list(Kindle version) at #19.

#14 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Update
Today my book made its debut on the NY Times best seller list(Kindle version) at #19.

Fantastic!
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

DT,

Congratulations. This is very encouraging news.

#16 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

I love news like that! Here's hoping it only gets better!
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
FB: Author Ruth Cardello
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#17 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

DT, that's fantastic!! Congrats!!

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#18 LH Thomson

LH Thomson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented, media
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Thousands of stories for seven different papers, one non-fiction sports book, but no fiction to date.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

Congrats, DT, that's pretty amazing.

As a new author, it would help if you could share some demographics, i.e. average turnover weekly, sales to this point vs. time elapsed etc.

LHT
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
Mark Twain

Check out my blog at http://lhthomson.blogspot.com/ !

#19 Whimsical_Werecat

Whimsical_Werecat

The Prowler of Prose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Award-winning short story, FINAL FLIGHT, published by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

Short story, THE DROWNER, placed Highly Commended in InkTears 2014 international short story competition.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling series), published by Starsea Press, available in eBook and paperback at all leading online retailers.

THE BEACON THRONES(Book Two in the Dragon Calling Series), published by Starsea Press, available in eBook and paperback at all leading online retailers.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

DT - that is so totally awesome!!! I'm cheering you on all the way!!! :biggrin:

cover-art-kin-seeker-text-2-100x150.jpg                            cover-art-beacon-thrones-3-100x150.jpg                            final-flight-ebook-cover-100x150.jpg
KIN SEEKER                                    BEACON THRONES                        FINAL FLIGHT
Book One of Dragon Calling         Book Two of Dragon Calling           Starsea Press
Starsea Press                                  Starsea Press

Facebook                                       Facebook
Goodreads                                     Goodreads
Pinterest                                         Pinterest

#20 Patricia k

Patricia k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:medical articles, writing since a child, poetry, on-line writer for newpaper

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

Congratulations for thinking a little,no a bunch, no giant thoughts outside of the box. Float on your cloud of success!! Patricia patriciagkay.com
patricia kay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users