Disclaimer

Photo

How do I get Amazon to list my eBook for free?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:self published Journeys of Intent, Firewalkers, The Ultimate Gift: Loving Blood, and Christine's Cross now online at Smashwords.com and Amazon

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

This is probably getting posted a second time, sorry. I've tried to report my books to Amazon as being free on Smashwords but haven't been successful. Now I have published my third book on Smashwords and Amazon but want the others to hopefully draw in people. Any specifics as to links or exactly how you got them to change your price would be helpful.
Thanks and congrats.
Thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated!!!
http://joebiancardi.weebly.com
http://journeysofintent.weebly.com

#2 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

Joe, have you had smashwords post your free book to B&N and iTunes? I think that was the key for me.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#3 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:self published Journeys of Intent, Firewalkers, The Ultimate Gift: Loving Blood, and Christine's Cross now online at Smashwords.com and Amazon

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

Cali,
They posted the book on all of their distributors so I guess they did. I'' go see directly on B&N. Yep, free on B&N and Itunes, cool. Wish they were doing better.

#4 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

Joe, did you tweak the cover art? Also, are you tweeting and FB'ing to promote it? Also, make sure you keep going to Amazon and clicking on their "tell us about a lower price" (and then have all your friends do it).

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#5 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

Cali,
Yes, I actually changed the cover, again. I had voting between 2 covers. One from a FB friend in California that just produced a movie. She gave me some pretty good tips. As far as having friends and family read my free book on Smashwords, they're all too busy or say they will but don't get around to it. Even my grown children haven't read anything I've written. They have their own agenda and the heck with dad. Kind of on my own here. I published Loving Blood on Smashwords and am trying to figure out how and where to offer a coupon to lower the price. If you would go to Smashwords and look at the book cover, I'd really appreciate it. I put it at 4.99, knowing it is high but with a 2.00 coupon, it's a deal. I suck at website building and really couldn't attract a following with a blog. Besides, I couldn't write something every day.
I thought I had some ideas for marketing the book but they haven't panned out. I'm not sure anymore about my writing career. But thanks for the help.
Joe

#6 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

Joe, I didn't mean have your family and friends buy and read it, but rather have them report to Amazon that it's free on other sites. But it actually needs to be free elsewhere, and right now it's 4.99 on SW, right?

As for the cover, I think it's much better, but most of the writing gets lost with such a small font. The only other problem I see is that you don't really get a clear idea of the genre or what the book's about. And usually, anything with "blood" in the title is going to make someone think of vampires, suspense or horror, imo.

The price? Most people aren't going to realize there's a coupon or bother to track it down, and I don't see the point of it, if you know 4.99 is too expensive. They'll see the list price of 4.99 when searching and just skip over it. If you're expecting people to pay 2.99, then why not just list it for that price, esp. since it's not selling at the higher price. Though I'll be honest, knowing you just want to get the word out about this idea of loving blood and since you want to primarily spread the message, why not just list it for free? Esp. if you don't have time to tweet, FB, etc. since being free is sort of it's own marketing. People search out free books. That's just me though. I know it's not for everyone.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#7 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Cali, or anyone,

I dropped the price, but like you say, some people will only search for free books. I'm trying to wait until Smashwords tells me the 'pending approval' is over and all the formatting is okay. Even with the other two books listed for free, there is only about 125 of my other two books downloaded. I've asked for reviews, good or bad from my readers but nothing has been written.
So, if the most important things necessary for a book to be bought is:
1. the cover, needs to draw attention and interest
2. the writing on the cover needs to sound interesting

What keeps someone from buying a book, or if it's free why not download it?
Is there a forum here on AQC to show covers and get feedback from other members?
Thanks again for your input.
Joe

#8 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

Joe,

Your original question was: how to get your book listed for free on Amazon, right? You want to list your ebook for free in order to see if it increases your book's sales numbers on Amazon, right?

Amazon does not technically let you list your book for free. The minimum price is $0.99. Thus, in order to force Amazon to list your book for free, you must list it on other distribution channels (like Smashwords and Barnes & Noble) for free first.

Then, you must go back to your Amazon's book page and look for the PRODUCT DETAILS section. At the end, you will see this sentence:

Would you like to give feedback on images or tell us about a lower price?

Then--and as CT suggested--you and all of your friends should click on the tell us about a lower price link in order to alert Amazon about the free listings of your ebook on Smashwords and Barnes & Noble. And you need to do this each time with each single ebook title -- if you expect THAT particular title to be listed for free on Amazon.

This answers your original question, so does that make sense?

So NOW... if you are asking how to increase your overall ebook sales numbers on multiple titles with multiple prices on different distribution sites, we request that you scale down your questions into bite-sized chucks and post them accordingly.

Everyone would like to know how to sell their ebooks on the internet and how to do it effectively and successfully. But that is an impossibly broad question to answer with only a few simple responses.

#9 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

I've mentioned a book cover forum to AQ, but not sure if it's in the works just yet. I'll check for an update.

As for going free, Amazon won't lower your price until you're free everywhere else and it's been reported to them regularly. And even then, it might not happen. As for being free and still not having many downloads, I'd say it could be the genre, the blurb, the cover, etc. If the cover doesn't catch a reader's attention, or if it doesn't sound like something they want to read, or if it's not a genre they normally read (what genres do you have them listed under?) then it might not get the hits. People won't download a book if they don't think they'll read it, cause it'll just clog up their ereader, esp. since you can't really easily delete books off the readers.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#10 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

It has now been two months and my books on Amazon still have a price. I've notified them that two are free on BN and Smashwords, but still they won't match the price. Any secrets would be appreciated. I'm not trying to ask how to increase sales, just why they are holding out.
If any of you care to let Amazon know my two titles: Journeys of Intent and Firewalkers is free on Smashwords and Barnes and Noble, it would help.
Thanks, following are the 2 links at B&N:

http://www.barnesand...rneys+of+intent
http://www.barnesand...sri=firewalkers

#11 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

There's been some debate that Amazon are no longer making books free, in order to promote their KDP Premium, which offers to make your book free for a couple of days, in exchange for you listing your book exclusively with Amazon for 90 days.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#12 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Oh great. Maybe that's been the problem then. Thanks for the info.

#13 K_Claremont

K_Claremont

Wanna-be Polymath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:MARONA novels:
    Vendetta
    The World Walker

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Sorry to resurrect the topic.

I am having the same problem.  I put in a request to price-match, and so far, no price-matching.

I published through Smashwords FIRST, so entering KDP Select was basically not happening.

Has anyone had any success with this since the last post here (in 2012)?  Do they price match to free anymore?

WebsiteOeuvreShopFacebookGoodreadsWattpadTwitter

Vendetta-thumb-109x175_zps7wtsnnby.jpg WW-thumb-109x175_zpshhljkk8b.jpg Jasmine-thumb-112x175_zps463vx1bt.jpg

Vendetta (High Fantasy, Heist Elements)
The World Walker (Epic Fantasy/High Fantasy)
Jasmine of the Fireflies (Magical Realism, LGBTQIA+ Romance, Short Story)

#14 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

K, you really have to hound them.  I usually don't have a problem getting my chosen books to go free, but I report every price I have available (BN, itunes and Kobo carry the most weight) every half hour or so.  And I keep doing that every day until they give in.  I find they usually do the changes on Tuesday (for the most part), so I start reporting on the weekend and just try to hit them as hard as I'm able to.  But just make sure your book is free at BN, itunes and kobo.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#15 K_Claremont

K_Claremont

Wanna-be Polymath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:MARONA novels:
    Vendetta
    The World Walker

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

I'll see if I can get some other readers on it too.  Thank you for the advice.  Amazon is doing themselves a disservice in the long run.

WebsiteOeuvreShopFacebookGoodreadsWattpadTwitter

Vendetta-thumb-109x175_zps7wtsnnby.jpg WW-thumb-109x175_zpshhljkk8b.jpg Jasmine-thumb-112x175_zps463vx1bt.jpg

Vendetta (High Fantasy, Heist Elements)
The World Walker (Epic Fantasy/High Fantasy)
Jasmine of the Fireflies (Magical Realism, LGBTQIA+ Romance, Short Story)

#16 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

On two separate occasions, I've found that once I set my price on Smashwords to free, Amazon automatically followed suit. I understand that some folks have had a different experience and I wonder if the channels selected might be the reason.

I changed my price to free at Smashwords on 7/24 and Smashwords changed their price immediately. iTunes and Kobo made it free on 7/25. Amazon, B&N, Diesel & Sony made the book free on 7/26.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#17 DorathyBOB

DorathyBOB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationRussia

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

These are some superior acknowledgements which really gives a clear idea about the certain matter. Pretty important one mate.... Cheers!

#18 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

Sorry to resurrect the topic.

I am having the same problem.  I put in a request to price-match, and so far, no price-matching.

I published through Smashwords FIRST, so entering KDP Select was basically not happening.

Has anyone had any success with this since the last post here (in 2012)?  Do they price match to free anymore?

Yes, I've had three books go free under different pen names since March of 2013. One of my books went free only two weeks ago under a different pen name. I know they are still price matching. But I also know that if you are selling a lot of books for your not free price, then they are more reluctant to do so. One of these three books, they didn't want to make free because I had sold several copies of it at 99 cents.

I also know this, the more places you report that your book is free at, the more likely they are to make your book go free. They demanded that I list more places where one of my books was free before they would make it free. So I usually report free prices at Kobo, Barnes & Noble, and Itunes. All three. Over and over and over again every day. At least five times each.

I don't think they take books that are free on smashwords seriously, so I never report my books on there.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users