27 replies to this topic

#21 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

This is a serious must read link: http://www.quora.com...ote-their-books

It's got a couple of people from self-pubbers to editors sharing what has worked for marketing one's books. Everything from using keywords (hello! That makes perfect sense!) to how not to hit people over the head using Twitter. Great tips!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#22 shesjennab

shesjennab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Ezine Expert Author, Health and Wellness Columnist for Integrity Fitness. Seminar author/instructor, and former columnist for The Derry News and The Bangor Daily News. Author of OCTOBER SNOW (November 2012) and AN EARLY FROST (Summer 2014).

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

This is a serious must read link: http://www.quora.com...ote-their-books

It's got a couple of people from self-pubbers to editors sharing what has worked for marketing one's books. Everything from using keywords (hello! That makes perfect sense!) to how not to hit people over the head using Twitter. Great tips!

Just wanted to agree: this is likely one of the best I've read on the subject - essential read. Thanks, Jean.

#23 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

Official fangirl since Ocarina of Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available for Amazon Kindle.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for posting this, Jean! There's a lot of good info and advice in there.

#24 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for posting, Jean.

We just want to add one thing: one of the posters says that there is no return-on-investment from hiring a professional publicist.

From the article:

I haven't yet had a single author say that they recovered their money from purchasing the help of a PR person. Be especially leery of the ones that promise to make you an Amazon best seller. Technically, you will be--but for 15 minutes somewhere in the middle of the night on a long weekend. It won't translate into increased sales. Plus the prices seem very reasonable at first and then just keep going up and up.

First of all, most writers AND authors do NOT understand the difference between a publicist and a marketer.

And there is a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE difference.

A publicist is a PR professional who pitches you and your book to various editors and TV producers who work at various media outlets in order to gain FREE publicity for you and your book. That means a feature in O Magazine, or an appearance on local, or national TV or on local/national radio, etc.

This is free publicity. These media outlets need the content and the editors and TV producers rely on publicists to help them sort through what that content should be. So if you are a client of a well-connected publicist, you will get PR exposure via national and local magazine, radio, and TV.

For example, if you live in a major metropolitan area with a professional PR agency, you may be able to get an appearance on your local morning TV show or a feature in Time Out Magazine. You pay the publicist to pitch you and your book to the magazine editors or radio/TV producers.

It is the publicist's job to make it happen, and if they can't make it happen because you/your book/your publishing "story" doesn't have a juicy "pitch" angle, they will likely not bother to take you on as their client.

But we will say one thing for certainty: if you end up on the morning show of a local TV syndicate of a major metropolitan city, it is well-worth the money that you will pay your professional publicist.

And yes, not everyone's self-published book is a candidate for local or national TV/radio/magazine exposure. You have to offer a publicist a "juicy" pitch angle.

But certainly, there are AQC members with both traditional books deals and self-publishing success stories that should not discount the importance of seeking out professional PR exposure.

#25 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Great link, Jean, and thanks as always for the extra insight, Crew.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#26 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

No problem, and ditto what jwmstudio said, AQCrew.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#27 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

If you want, need, or ever think you might need to get reviews, this podcast from The Creative Penn is great: http://www.thecreati...ana-lynn-smith/

The Creative Penn is a good resource, actually. Lots of podcasts and interviews. Some are more info driven than others. This interview with Dana Lynn Smith is a value-packed one.

Enjoy!

#28 vanessakate

vanessakate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

Its better to publish in some of the article websites, where most of the authors share there own book contents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users