Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

How do I know I'm querying the right genre?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my debut novel, Medusa's Desire.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

Right now I'm querying my novel as fantasy because it is about necromancers, but since necromancers deal with ghosts and zombies and things like that, it's sort of horror (although it's not really that scary which was why I was querying it as a fantasy novel.) It also has romantic elements and I focus in the query on the romance in my novel (because focusing on the very main plot was too confusing for a query and made my story sound like it was full of plot holes) which makes it sound like paranormal romance.

I've only received rejections so far, although I haven't received all of them (yet again, not all the people I query respond to queries) and I've sent my query to 14 people. I'm obviously doing SOMETHING wrong.

I did query some people who actually did fantasy/horror/romance genres, all of them, but they also didn't like my story idea so maybe that isn't the problem. And please don't tell me that I just suck at writing. Maybe I do, but I'm working on it...

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#2 RinguGirl

RinguGirl

not a beer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationAsia

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

It sounds more paranormal romance than fantasy from what you've written so far. Agents don't mind too much what you list as a genre - if they like your hook enough, they'll sort the genre out with you afterward.

#3 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None so far... But if you're psychic, you already know whose book you'll be buying in a few years. :)

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:08 AM

Yeah, I'd classify that as paranormal romance. But the query's probably the problem. Maybe you could post it at Query Critique?
“I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I’m afraid it will not be controversial.” - Flannery O’Connor

“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” - Richard Bach

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” - Anton Chekhov

Follow me on Twitter

#4 Revo

Revo

King of Chat Summaries

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blogs. Flash Fiction, Sports fans sites, assorted company memos, pestering fellow authors with inane question or suspect advice.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

Right now I'm querying my novel as fantasy because it is about necromancers, but since necromancers deal with ghosts and zombies and things like that, it's sort of horror (although it's not really that scary which was why I was querying it as a fantasy novel.) It also has romantic elements and I focus in the query on the romance in my novel (because focusing on the very main plot was too confusing for a query and made my story sound like it was full of plot holes) which makes it sound like paranormal romance.

I've only received rejections so far, although I haven't received all of them (yet again, not all the people I query respond to queries) and I've sent my query to 14 people. I'm obviously doing SOMETHING wrong.

I did query some people who actually did fantasy/horror/romance genres, all of them, but they also didn't like my story idea so maybe that isn't the problem. And please don't tell me that I just suck at writing. Maybe I do, but I'm working on it...

Hi Serena,

1) 14 isn't that big a number (believe me). The market is flooded so you gotta' keep on keein' on if that's the path you choose.

2) During last night's scheduled chat MK laid a great link on the group that might clear up a few things for you:
http://literaticat.b...e-glossary.html

Hope it helps. Keep the faith.

R
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

-T. Roosevelt

At the end of the day, wishes are just a suggestion box ticket for dreams, and dreams, while entertaining, are not of substance. Achievement is won on the ground, not in the clouds.

--Me

#5 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my debut novel, Medusa's Desire.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

I don't think 14 is very many at all, no. I just was told to only submit a small amount at a time, so you can evaluate from that amount (if you get all rejections) that you are doing things wrong.

And I wouldn't feel the need to label my genre except it affects who I submit to. I've submitted to people who represent fantasy novels, but not necessarily romance so far.... And I don't want to be one of those people (or continue to be) where the agents go,"UGH! Why didn't she read my guidelines (even though I actually did.) She'd know I don't represent this kind of story if she did."

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#6 WritesToEscapeReality

WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

I haven't started querying yet, but I am in the same boat. Mine has witches/wizards in it so there are some elements of fantasy. A big part of the plot is the relationship between two main characters so there is definitely romance. There is also the fact that it takes place in any town/any place with witches and wizards "hiding" who they are so I thought maybe urban fantasy. Then someone mentioned to me the other day that it sounded like Paranormal Romance but when I think paranormal I think ghosts, things that are dead, etc. (I am sure I am probably wrong) So I have been calling it Urban Fantasy, but now I don't know. All I can tell you for sure is it is Young Adult. Ugh

I hope you find the right genre so you are sure to send it to the correct agents. Good luck, I will be in your boat soon. This might be cheating, but maybe change the genre in your query letter based on what that agent represents? If they like paranormal fantasy, label it that since it has those elements. If they like fantasy, label it that since it has those elements. Maybe that is the wrong way to go about it, but just an idea.
I'm Angela. I'm a mom, wife, nurse, chauffeur and aspiring writer. I hope to add published to the list one day.

#7 the transylvanian

the transylvanian

Writing as Camilia Crandell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My paranormal romance THE TRANSYLVANIANS, was picked up by a publisher and it's set to be release in the summer of 2014.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

I haven't started querying yet, but I am in the same boat. Mine has witches/wizards in it so there are some elements of fantasy. A big part of the plot is the relationship between two main characters so there is definitely romance. There is also the fact that it takes place in any town/any place with witches and wizards "hiding" who they are so I thought maybe urban fantasy. Then someone mentioned to me the other day that it sounded like Paranormal Romance but when I think paranormal I think ghosts, things that are dead, etc. (I am sure I am probably wrong) So I have been calling it Urban Fantasy, but now I don't know. All I can tell you for sure is it is Young Adult. Ugh

I hope you find the right genre so you are sure to send it to the correct agents. Good luck, I will be in your boat soon. This might be cheating, but maybe change the genre in your query letter based on what that agent represents? If they like paranormal fantasy, label it that since it has those elements. If they like fantasy, label it that since it has those elements. Maybe that is the wrong way to go about it, but just an idea.

Why not try it? Let the agents decide from there.Posted Image

Imagination is better than knowledge  - Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users