WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

For those of you who attend conferences, and particularly those of you who write YA or MG, if you had to choose one conference to attend what would it be? I am not concerned about location (although I do prefer to be in the United States) or cost. I know with my schedule, attending one conference would be all I could do most likely so I am curious which one does everyone recommend. I hear a lot about the Writer's Digest one in NYC. Is there others that you guys would recommend over that one? I do want one that has a pitch event and a good selection of workshops.

Thanks!
I'm Angela. I'm a mom, wife, nurse, chauffeur and aspiring writer. I hope to add published to the list one day.

#2 anticipa

anticipa

Ant, the Quixotic Query Quibbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:A piece of flash fiction in Bad Austen, published Nov. 2011 by Adams Media.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

BACKSPAAAACE!

Okay, well, there's no pitch event, but there's like 2 hours of free time in-between workshops where authors CAN pitch to agents... just in a less terrifying setting. :wink:

I've only ever been to Backspace, so I don't have a point of reference for other conferences, but Backspace was the best two days of my life so I feel obliged to recommend it to everyone.

© this post is a riley redgate production

reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

i blog! i tweet!

#3 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

This is one i'm considering going to. My hubby and son could go visit museums while I learn and pitch! It sounds promising. Been reading up on it.

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#4 WritesToEscapeReality

WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Thanks guys!

@JoeyF- aren't you near Atlanta? Do you get a lot of conferences there? I am outside Nashville and all I hear of here is religious writings. Do you find any of the big ones coming to our region?
I'm Angela. I'm a mom, wife, nurse, chauffeur and aspiring writer. I hope to add published to the list one day.

#5 MarcyKate

MarcyKate

There can be only One.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel MONSTROUS will be out from HarperCollins Children’s Books in Winter 2015!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

If you're looking for YA/MG focused conferences, see if your local SCBWI chapter has one going on. They're supposed to be fantastic! (I'm going to the New England one in April and I AM PSYCHED!)

#6 Sakura Eries

Sakura Eries

Mostly lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three short stories in anthologies (Playthings of the Gods, Spring Fevers, Winter's Regret), and one in Scape e-zine. I also write manga reviews for The Fandom Post.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

the LA SCBWI conf this Aug will be my first conf ever, but i do live in LA.

The desire and ability within each of us to create is a reflection of our Creator.
Historical tidbits, manga/book reviews and thoughts on writing YA lit -- check it out on my blog!

51436ajYo0L._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61Qbgn0VaSL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#7 WritesToEscapeReality

WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

I see the SCBWI- Midsouth is having a fall conference in Nashville. Hmm, guess I should become a member and go to that since it is only about 40 minutes from my house. Guess this could be my first conference!

#8 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

SCBWI all the way for kid lit writers! If you go, enjoy. It's also a great organization for juvie writers like us.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users