5 replies to this topic

#1 Ronald F. Sharp

Ronald F. Sharp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of two non-fiction books through Allworth Press, Living Trusts for Everyone, and Winning the Divorce War. My agent, Bobbi Siegel, retired, (sigh)

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

Jonne Ricci is listed in Jeff Herman's Guide to Literary Agents and says no fees, but Preditors and Editors says not recommended because she's fee charging. Her website has a PO Box and no telephone or email for contact. Is this agency Legit? http://jonnericciliteraryagency.net I hope I didn't waste my postage.

#2 Giant Baby

Giant Baby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Two sold to Simon & Schuster.
    Release One January 2015.
    Release Two January 2016.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

She has no sales posted to Publishers Marketplace, and a search of Google Books reveals no mentions of her at all, apart from her inclusion in the 2012 Guide to Literary Agents (not ALL writers thank their agents in the acknowledgments of their books, but it's a fairly common practice and a good search to run if you're trying to get a feel for what an agent's represented outside of what's posted to PM).

Her website just lists bunch of titles without authors' names or publishers. The language on her website is awkward, and often inconsistent with the norms in the industry.

The fee question, it's hard to say. She may have at one time, and stopped. I'm not crazy about her wording there, though. "...we don't charge fees for reading or evaluating material." (Emphasis mine) It's unnecessarily specific. How about upon signing? For office expenses, and if so, which ones and what's the annual cap? Editing? Etc, etc.
“Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is to sign on as its accomplice.” ― Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

#3 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm going to agree with Giant Baby.

And also add that her web-site looks immature and unprofessional all over.

"If your manuscript contains numerous misspelled words, cumbersome sentences, syntactical errors, or a glaring misuse of the English language, the Editor will pass on it knowing his next day's pile of mail will be from authors waiting to take your place"

We all know how replaceable we are, but I've never seen an agent actually rub it in author's faces like that. They are more professional than that.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#4 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

Giant Baby's response says it all. Stay away.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#5 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,299 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

Ronald, keep us in the loop if you get a reply. We'd all be curious to know about those 'fees.'

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#6 shuglarb9

shuglarb9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Currently enjoying rejections from the best!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Holy cabobbalooloo, this is fantastic !!   Glad I discovered this. I almost sent this #@%$&#$@ the next best thing since a flat tire in rush hour traffic !  (ehhhh, I think it's a might better than that.)   Thanks y'all. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users