Dave Clark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:THE KNUCKLEBOOK, by Ivan R. Dee

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

Marisa Corvisiero is constructing what she says will be a one-stop shopping destination website for any of your needs, if you're an author, author-to-be, agent, editor, or publisher. No more searching multiple sites for answers and useful tools.

So far, it's partially operational, and it's getting more amazing by the day. (Sorry I'm enthusiastic but I've been all over this for over a month.)

Here's the website:

http://www.literarypowerhouse.com/

and her blog, explaining all:

http://thoughtsfroma...t.blogspot.com/

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

I'll take a look. I am getting the impression that there'll be a lot of agents looking to expand how they approach writers and offer services as the electronic publishing world keeps expanding and exploding.

#3 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the extensive use of hyperbole and promotional language versus the dearth of detail in what they're offering for the $20 a month.

Literary "POWERHOUSE." Really???? Based on what?

Her bio is light on the details too - how much experience does this person really have? And even the link to her law firm as part of it. Huh? First, that's weird. Second, it's written with smoke.

I'm all in favor of agents finding new ways to be involved in the business, and yeah, she's kind of a babe, but nothing in these links gives me anything but yellow flags.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#4 Giant Baby

Giant Baby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Two sold to Simon & Schuster.
    Release One January 2015.
    Release Two January 2016.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'll be keeping a wide berth of this one. She's introduced her new services on her agency blog, so there's little chance she'll be keeping the agenting and consulting services seperate. This is particularly unsettling upon finding this in her current submission guidelines (complete with hyperlink back to Literary Powerhouse: "Be prepared to submit a well drafted query letter and the first 5 pages of your finished and polished manuscript. If a novel is not ready for publishing, or you need assistance with your proposal, please consider contacting Literary Powerhouse for Consulting services." (emphasis mine)

She's not even trying to obfuscate the conflict of interest.

Please query agents who want to represent your work to publishers who will pay you for a book they intend to help you make even more awesome, and then publish so many can read it. That often doesn't work out, but don't then pay someone to prey upon your hard times. That also doesn't work out.

It really doesn't.
“Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is to sign on as its accomplice.” ― Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

#5 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure, however... I would say this is someone who is going to leave the world of agenting and is positioning themselves to start this new venture. I've nothing against doing ANY of that, BUT, I would hold off and see if they really have any successes, etc.

It's interesting, too, as I checked her out on Publisher's Marketplace and she DOES have five deals to her name, all last year.

Anyway... I'd hang back and wait it out. See if the place has legs.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#6 Michelle_in_WI

Michelle_in_WI

Slightly-Less-New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first YA novel will be published by Month 9 Books in December 2013.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

Admittedly, I am but a newbie to all this, but sites like this make me wonder if we aren't simply seeing the latest high-tech version of charging fees for reading, photocopying, etc. Pushing aside the bells, whistles, and glitz, is it really more than charging fees for what legitimate agents do as a normal and expected part of their job? Maybe I'm completely off base and this is just a reflection of a new era of access that will beneficial to writers, agents and publishers alike. I'm just naturally suspicious of these things, I guess.
If you have time, check out my blog. Thanks for reading!

#7 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

I'm just naturally suspicious of these things, I guess.

Good!

Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#8 Kalinda Knight

Kalinda Knight

Veteran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper journalist. Author of THINGS NOT SEEN, a romantic suspense. Available on Amazon. http://amzn.to/1sLwvz6

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

I will sit back and wait to see what happens. I'm more inclined to be skeptical here. There is a definite conflict of interest. For the record, Michelle, I don't think it's because you're a newbie here that you are suspicious. I think it's your gut instincts. Listen to them.

#9 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:THE KNUCKLEBOOK, by Ivan R. Dee

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

I did my homework and found this, which is part of her bio:

Marisa A. Corvisiero is an attorney and a literary Agent. In June of 2011 she paired off with Jo Ann Kairys, a colleague, author, editor, publisher, and friend, to form Literary Power House Consulting, LLC. LPH is a consulting firm that offers services in all facets of the Literary Industry to authors, agents, editors, publishers, publicists, and lawyers. This project was born purely as an evolution of services that both women were already providing in different forms. Due to the demand for such services, and for the purpose of carefully preserving ethical boundaries, they decided to join their strengths, skills, experience and resources under this one unique roof. As a result this Consulting Powerhouse now provides the most comprehensive package of Literary Advisory Services offered anywhere.

There's more there. Feel free to go look.

#10 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Interesting. There seems to be an influx of new sites which offer either free or discounted membership which tout help with your m.s., etc. Am also skeptical.

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#11 Whimsical_Werecat

Whimsical_Werecat

The Prowler of Prose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Award-winning short story, FINAL FLIGHT, published by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling series), published by Starsea Press, available in eBook format at all leading online retailers.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling Series), published by Starsea Press, paperback edition available at numerous retailers, including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Booktopia and Fishpond.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:18 AM

Tread with a careful paw and keen eye whilst finding your place in the publishing world, and you can't go wrong.

Or in other words: Seek smartly and find out all you can, and if it fits your situation, then go for it! :happy:

#12 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

Remember: 1) anyone can call themselves an agent (there is no licensing body); 2) any group of people can set up a writing or writers services website or business; 3) the best way to judge any group or business is by the value actually delievered not words.

Personally, I am a bit of a mizer -- I like free and found I could get the support and advice I needed in this business without paying for it, at least up to the point of signing with my agent and I sure don't begrudge him his percentage.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#13 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

yes: free, intelligent, and helpful are always things I look for in advice, which are big reasons why I'm here.

#14 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Amen to Litgirl and MWSinclair!

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#15 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

'Tis a troublesome trend, the "pay to play" idea for writers. Not sure how I feel about submitting to someone, who might in turn reject me then DIRECT me to their website where I pay a fee to get help with my m.s. or for some consultation.

I think I'll stick to being an old fashioned girl and old school writer.Posted Image

JoeynGA on Twitter!

~Mark Twain

#16 Charlie Eve

Charlie Eve

Illustration Junky/Part-time Sweetheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Plus, they seem to be casting an awful wide net with their ovet the top services in event planning, catering, fashion and success couching....

#17 DavidLBell

DavidLBell

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Unexpected Witness-----a romantic thriller copyright 2011, release date 10-14-2013.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

I am looking into it, but it looks like a pay per version of AgentQuery.com. Are these people AAR members?

#18 DavidLBell

DavidLBell

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Unexpected Witness-----a romantic thriller copyright 2011, release date 10-14-2013.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

I sent them an e-mail. Hopefully they are not another Tate Publishing.

#19 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Ummm she's the same person who requested the full from me last week. Should I be wary of her?

#20 Giant Baby

Giant Baby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Two sold to Simon & Schuster.
    Release One January 2015.
    Release Two January 2016.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

I am looking into it, but it looks like a pay per version of AgentQuery.com. Are these people AAR members?

It's nothing like AQ, paid or not. It's also nothing like QueryTracker or AbslouteWrite's BR&BC board, or any other site geared toward helping you navigate the murky waters. If you're interested in paying for something, pay for a sub to Publishers Marketplace. That's where the agents and editors get their news, so why shouldn't you, if you've got money to spend? It also gives you access to reported deals. Things like this:

Posted Image

(Click on image to enlarge)

She is not a member of AAR (nor are members of her former agency). She's not eligible, due to her new venture. Here's a link to the AAR's Canon of Ethics. For clarity, in these confusing times, here's an interesting blog post by Kristen Nelson. AAR eligibility, while nice, is the least of my concerns where LitPow is concerned. Me? I'm looking at the Benjamins. Sadly, I suspect that's what she's looking at, as well. We're just looking at a different distribution plan for them.

I sent them an e-mail. Hopefully they are not another Tate Publishing.

Not Tate, but this place doesn't actually promise you a finished book, does it? What are you paying for, in your mind? If you've experienced Tate, why are you sniffing around more places that want to take your money? The places that actually give a f**k about your writing work for free. You can find them at: AbsoluteWrite.com. AgentQueryConnect.com. Querytracker.com. You can put your work up for critique, or look for beta readers. You just have to give what you get. Poke around the sites, see what attracts you.

Edited by Jean Oram, 13 March 2012 - 01:09 PM.
Added some stars

“Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is to sign on as its accomplice.” ― Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users